Why is America still a super power?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Honestly... I'm an American and all I hear these days is that we're the last at everything, and the worst at everything. Granted most American's are kind hearted and it seems as if the corporate fat cats make the country look bad, but is that really the cause?

(These are against other modernized industrial nations)
-We're the fattest nation
-We're the dumbest nation
-We don't produce anything, you hardly see "Made in USA" anymore..
-We work harder for less/our dollar is in the trash
-We outsource all of the well paying jobs to other countries
-We have a horrible health care system (Being ripped off severely for nearly all medications). If you seen how much the Bill Clinton fund has raised, its staggering how he lowered the cost of medications in Africa.
-We're one of the most major polluters, and complain about every cent increase while gas in other countries exceeds 7 dollars a gallon.
-Our public education system is broken (inner city schools, college loan interest/debt, etc)
-We buy things we simply cannot afford. (Half Trillion dollars already in debt as a whole)

Rant continuing:
-We call Bush an idiot now, but who put him in power?
-We call ourselves "the greatest place on earth", arrogant then too.
-Our nations "word" means nothing internationally
-We put money in the hands of other countries before our own (paying billions in aid packages and other fundings because we're "rich" and can spread the "wealth")

So we have our constitution.... but are giving up these "rights" pretty darn quick. It seems to me, no matter how many people complain, no matter how loud the voices of everyday American's yell, nothing gets done. I just don't see how EVERY leader does poorly, casts a blind eye, or doesn't do their job. I find that to be somewhat of a scapegoat if you ask me. Something else must be going on, rather than ALL of the leaders EVER being secretive liars and thieves with their own personal selfish agenda. Sure we'd all like to believe that, so we can centralize our frustrations on one particular man, but is it really.... just his or her fault? Honestly, how can every single person in a position of power have the agenda that states "rip America down, take it for all she's worth"... The aim seems to force all Americans to live in constant fear, doubt, and despair, so we don't "feel good" about standing up for these issues.. I just don't understand it.

Why the hell are we still a super power?

Power corrupts... I guess that leaves no one out huh? So if you were a president of a company, a local government, THE government, you'd instead of making 1 billion, you'd try to make everyone else poor while you make another 3-4 billion? If it corrupts all, you too would be one to rip even your own mother off, or your children's education/health... it just doesn't add up.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Well nows the best time for any intimidated country to come at us then isn't it? "Kick em while they're down"?

May 31, 2001
Empires take a long time to die.

Yeah, I know, it's commentary on a site that wants people to buy precious metals.

Are We Rome?

There was another book I tried to find a link for, but Amazon sucks in that even if you put in the exact title, they won't always put that book up at the top of the results. I believe the title was, "When Empires Fall."

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
This is a P&N topic for sure, but regardless, it seems to me you've been fed a lot of CNN left wing garbage, and you're believing every bit of it.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
"There is nothing wrong in America that can't be fixed with what is right in America." - Clinton

A few bad apples spoil what generally is a great nation. I guess your foreign policy at times has left a little to be desired, and is one reason why internationally America's word sometimes does not mean much. Such a powerful nation could be more responsible, rather than do what is in its own financial interests.

Originally posted by: Coldkilla
-We work harder for less

Can't say I agree with this, there are plenty of third world countries that work in terrible conditions and for so little pay you would be disgusted with humanity.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I meant in comparison to other industrialized 'super power' nations Snapster. I should have specified.

And I'm sure Analog thinks our country is coasting along just fine.... Probably a O'Reily watcher, who doesn't believe we have homeless verterens...

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Ever heard the phrase when discussing economics - "When the US sneezes, the rest of the world catches cold"? The rest of the world is tied to the US whether they like it or not.

And because the US has the world's best military by far. Despite what one's view of the decision to invade Iraq is, I imagine the rest of the world was paying close attention as to how quickly Iraq was taken (there has been massive failure afterwards but that is the US civilian leadership's fault). Same goes for Afghanistan - USSR tried to squelch it for years.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Empires take a long time to die.

Yeah, I know, it's commentary on a site that wants people to buy precious metals.

Are We Rome?

There was another book I tried to find a link for, but Amazon sucks in that even if you put in the exact title, they won't always put that book up at the top of the results. I believe the title was, "When Empires Fall."

There is a song "Give me just litte more time"

Just give Republicans a little more time and the objective of no longer being a "super power" will be completed.

That actually is the goal as I have stated many times.

What is important is the heads of the corporations to be the "super power" now not any one particular country.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Despite people like the OP existing in this country and threatening its status, we are still a superpower and will remain so for a very long time.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Analog
This is a P&N topic for sure, but regardless, it seems to me you've been fed a lot of CNN left wing garbage, and you're believing every bit of it.

Oh............

Well, enlighten us ... What is fox news feeding you? I don't watch any of it I prefer to get my news from google news....

I'd really love to know myself how the rights paint the picture.

MO, is that we have a lot of cash, and being how our current administration is so cheesy and corrupted we make even more money ... As long as you have a lot of money and you can continue to borrow against what you pretend to have ... well, your golden! Money or Debt does = power. Weather we can pay it back or how far the dollar will slide is another question.

So the basic answer of it will take a long time to die is correct. Tho, I believe when other nations see that our $ is no longer worth a hill of beans we could be left out in the cold and in a hurry. One minute your checking out your items at wall mart the next your checking out of your home because of no jobs and depression session. I believe once it does happen it will do so quickly and it will unless we start again producing and innovating high tech and science back here at home. The BS that if the US goes down it's gonna take the world with it. Time will tell....

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Despite people like the OP existing in this country and threatening its status, we are still a superpower and will remain so for a very long time.

The issue is not necessarly that we are a superpower, but do we still deserve to be? And if not, how long can we keep up the charade? Or what can we do to get back on the right track? There's no excuse for the US not to be far, far better than it currently is, and people not OK with the status quo or the path we are on are not the ones threatening the US' status. Leaders can lead through merit and example, or they can lead through threat and oppression. We're certainly not doing the former anymore, and people like you that don't care as long as the US is still leading are the problem.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well nows the best time for any intimidated country to come at us then isn't it? "Kick em while they're down"?

Who could possibly come after us? No other military would last a week in a stand up fight against us.

We're a superpower because we have an incredibly large and diverse economy that is well vertically integrated. Sure we don't have a lot of industry, but that is a GOOD thing. Industry pollutes, it injures and kills workers, and on average it doesn't pay particularly well. On the other hand our service based economy controls a large amount of the world's most important intellectual property. The technology created in America drives the world and is unparalleled in quantity or quality anywhere else. The value of a currency means very little as to a country's relative power. (Bahrain uses the dinar which is one of the most valuable currencies in the world, look out for Bahrain!)

Those are a few reasons why we're still a superpower.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Who could possibly come after us? No other military would last a week in a stand up fight against us.

We're a superpower because we have an incredibly large and diverse economy that is well vertically integrated. Sure we don't have a lot of industry, but that is a GOOD thing. Industry pollutes, it injures and kills workers, and on average it doesn't pay particularly well. On the other hand our service based economy controls a large amount of the world's most important intellectual property. The technology created in America drives the world and is unparalleled in quantity or quality anywhere else. The value of a currency means very little as to a country's relative power. (Bahrain uses the dinar which is one of the most valuable currencies in the world, look out for Bahrain!)

I think we should have a lot more industry. Can't make products here in the USA with out it.

Intellectual Property to keep our Iphones out of some other country that wants to steal it and make their own design with improvements. That's all fine and dandy. Yeah we could SUE the crap out of someone that trys a stunt like that here. But, in other countries like Korea and China etc...etc... It doesn't hold up well at all.

My thoughts are when you have other countries building your technology and they are making design changes to hardware and firmware in China it's not gonna take em long to ask ... If they can do it, then we can do it, but not only can we do it but we can do it better since we have all the facilities and engineers.... Well, maybe that won't happen and maybe we do have nailed down tight but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think you can run industries or anything else with out pollution ... I would rather be an industry worker then a cop. Your chances of dieing are way lower...

I'd rather have someone working in an industry then collecting food stamps.... Nice spin tho...

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

The issue is not necessarly that we are a superpower, but do we still deserve to be? And if not, how long can we keep up the charade? Or what can we do to get back on the right track? There's no excuse for the US not to be far, far better than it currently is, and people not OK with the status quo or the path we are on are not the ones threatening the US' status. Leaders can lead through merit and example, or they can lead through threat and oppression. We're certainly not doing the former anymore, and people like you that don't care as long as the US is still leading are the problem.

From what viewpoint does "deserve" come into the picture? "deserve" is such a stupid benchmark. Many of the things OP listed are just stupid and have no direct input into the equation.

I agree that Bush has significantly harmed this country but we are still a great country and will remain *THE* superpower for a very long time.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
This is one of the worst opening posts I have ever read. I'd respond to each point, but I don't want to waste anymore of my time.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Your list is worthless.

Fattest- I'll give you that one

dumbest? In a 2003 study we ranked in the middle of industrial countries for math, reading and science scores. Not as well as you might like, but far from 'dumbest' link

don't produce anything- We produce more today than at ANY time in our history. (even after adjusting for inflation) We produce 2.5 times as much as China and our manufacturing output is 21% of the worlds total. link

harder for less? Median household income for the US is SECOND in the world, behind Switzerland. link

Outsourcing? link cliffs: We are estimated to lose 3.3 million jobs over 15 years or 220,000 jobs a year, in an economy with 130 million jobs that is expected to add 22 million jobs during that same time frame. Annually, outsourcing would affect less than .2 percent of employed Americans.

Healthcare: We have had dozens of topics on this. We rank low on the WHO list, yet we have the highest cancer survival rates in the world. link

pollution? Have you been following the stories about China and the Olympics? We may not be perfect, but we have done a pretty good job at cleaning ourselves up over the last decade and are getting better all the time. Also, one reason we are the among the largest polluters is because we have the largest economy.

Dollar- wouldn't call it in the trash, but it is not doing good.

Public education system- could be better, but I wouldn't call it 'broken'

The rest of your rant is political and personal, so I'll leave it alone.

We are a superpower because we have the largest economy in the world and the largest military in the world.

The fact that our military is SO much larger than everyone else's is what really gives us so much power in and influence in the world. Look at the bombing of Kosovo: link The United States provided 700 of the 1055 aircraft deployed in the allied effort and flew by far the greatest number of sorties. The United States provided more than 90 percent of aerial refueling aircraft, the bulk of airlift capabilities, and all tactical jamming capabilities.
Had we told the Europeans that we wanted nothing to do with their problems there is almost no way they could have taken any action themselves.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ericlp
Originally posted by: eskimospy

I think we should have a lot more industry. Can't make products here in the USA with out it.

Intellectual Property to keep our Iphones out of some other country that wants to steal it and make their own design with improvements. That's all fine and dandy. Yeah we could SUE the crap out of someone that trys a stunt like that here. But, in other countries like Korea and China etc...etc... It doesn't hold up well at all.

My thoughts are when you have other countries building your technology and they are making design changes to hardware and firmware in China it's not gonna take em long to ask ... If they can do it, then we can do it, but not only can we do it but we can do it better since we have all the facilities and engineers.... Well, maybe that won't happen and maybe we do have nailed down tight but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think you can run industries or anything else with out pollution ... I would rather be an industry worker then a cop. Your chances of dieing are way lower...

I'd rather have someone working in an industry then collecting food stamps.... Nice spin tho...

I'm not exactly sure what to say other then that you're wrong. Not only is China finding a newfound respect for IP rights as it has started to develop some patents of its own (shocking), but you are ignoring a large amount of IP that China does not and cannot ignore. New technology for manufacturing, new tech for computers, (China couldn't make some of Intel/AMD's new chips even if it wanted to), etc. In addition, the other countries DON'T have all the engineers. That's the whole point, we are making the IP with our engineers. Sure they might have been born in another country, but they all come here. Your idea that the world is moving towards a place in which IP rights are ignored directly contradicts the actual path the world is taking.

I'm not sure how you think we're going to have manufacturing without pollution. At least not for a huge swath of the manufacturing sector. Oh, and just so you know there are lots of manufacturing industries that are significantly more dangerous to the workers then police work is. In general, our country should be working to get away from manufacturing for all the reasons I mentioned earlier.

And of course it is better to have a crappy job then no job. Who claimed otherwise? Our unemployment rate is in line with historical norms though, so what's the big deal? It sounds to me like you want the America of today to be like the America of the 1950's. That would be a terrible thing.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
because we have the biggest wang. Take a look at Florida, it's bigger than some entire countries!

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Honestly... I'm an American and all I hear these days is that we're the last at everything, and the worst at everything. Granted most American's are kind hearted and it seems as if the corporate fat cats make the country look bad, but is that really the cause?

-We work harder for less
-We have a horrible health care system (Being ripped off severely for nearly all medications)
-We're one of the most major polluters, and complain about every cent increase while gas in other countries exceeds 7 dollars a gallon.
-Our dollar is in the trash
-Our public education system is broken (college costs, etc)
-Loans from credit cards are insane, I read over a half TRILLION dollars, we buy things we cannot simply afford.
-We put money in the hands of other countries before our own (paying billions in aid packages and other fundings because we're "rich" and can spread the "wealth")

So we have our constitution.... but are giving up these "rights" pretty darn quick. It seems to me, no matter how many people complain, no matter how loud the voices of everyday American's yell, nothing gets done. I just don't see how EVERY leader does poorly, casts a blind eye, or doesn't do their job. I find that to be somewhat of a scapegoat if you ask me. Something else must be going on, rather than ALL of the leaders EVER being secretive liars and thieves with their own personal selfish agenda. Sure we'd all like to believe that, so we can centralize our frustrations on one particular man, but is it really.... just his or her fault? Honestly, how can every single person in a position of power have the agenda that states "rip America down, take it for all she's worth"... The aim seems to force all Americans to live in constant fear, doubt, and despair, so we don't "feel good" about standing up for these issues.. I just don't understand it.

Power corrupts... I guess that leaves no one out huh? So if you were a president of a company, a local government, THE government, you'd instead of making 1 billion, you'd try to make everyone else poor while you make another 3-4 billion? If it corrupts all, you too would be one to rip even your own mother off, or your children's education/health... it just doesn't add up.

People like you are part of the problem.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80

-We work harder for less
-We have a horrible health care system (Being ripped off severely for nearly all medications)
-Loans from credit cards are insane, I read over a half TRILLION dollars, we buy things we cannot simply afford.

How ironic.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: JS80

-We work harder for less

How ironic.

Please keep this to a minimum. Metals and other commodities, especially iron, are very expensive right now. Hopefully the FED won't cut interest rates any more this week; then you are free to make such comments.