• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Why is America still a super power?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
29,586
11
76
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Honestly... I'm an American and all I hear these days is that we're the last at everything, and the worst at everything. Granted most American's are kind hearted and it seems as if the corporate fat cats make the country look bad, but is that really the cause?
Seriously OP, what media sources have you been consuming?
Perhaps I don't live in the part of the country where everyone is optimistic and happy. Everywhere I go, I hear but negative things... I guess living in inner city Milwaukee doesn't help ether.
Your computer costs more than most people in the world make in a year. Life is good. Be happy.
 

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
12,017
571
126
Originally posted by: ericlp
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Well nows the best time for any intimidated country to come at us then isn't it? "Kick em while they're down"?
Who could possibly come after us? No other military would last a week in a stand up fight against us.

We're a superpower because we have an incredibly large and diverse economy that is well vertically integrated. Sure we don't have a lot of industry, but that is a GOOD thing. Industry pollutes, it injures and kills workers, and on average it doesn't pay particularly well. On the other hand our service based economy controls a large amount of the world's most important intellectual property. The technology created in America drives the world and is unparalleled in quantity or quality anywhere else. The value of a currency means very little as to a country's relative power. (Bahrain uses the dinar which is one of the most valuable currencies in the world, look out for Bahrain!)

Those are a few reasons why we're still a superpower.
I think we should have a lot more industry. Can't make products here in the USA with out it.

Intellectual Property to keep our Iphones out of some other country that wants to steal it and make their own design with improvements. That's all fine and dandy. Yeah we could SUE the crap out of someone that trys a stunt like that here. But, in other countries like Korea and China etc...etc... It doesn't hold up well at all.

My thoughts are when you have other countries building your technology and they are making design changes to hardware and firmware in China it's not gonna take em long to ask ... If they can do it, then we can do it, but not only can we do it but we can do it better since we have all the facilities and engineers.... Well, maybe that won't happen and maybe we do have nailed down tight but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think you can run industries or anything else with out pollution ... I would rather be an industry worker then a cop. Your chances of dieing are way lower...

I'd rather have someone working in an industry then collecting food stamps.... Nice spin tho...
We should only have more industry if we can do it cheapest. If another country can do it cheaper than we can, they should do it, and we should have them do it. That way prices stay low for the consumer.

Comparitive Advantage. Do what you do best.
 

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
1,709
0
0
Another spin on it -

Our citizens are afforded the "luxury" of being stupid because the country is a superpower. We don't need to be competent, because we live in a safe environment and have a high standard of living.

The average American doesn't need to know how to sew our own clothing, grow our own food, or defend our houses against rebel militants... so we don't. We sit on our asses watching TV, wondering why the rest of the world wants to live here so badly.
 

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
12,145
0
71
America will always remain a large and powerful nation it's just that we're no longer number one - china took that from us.
 

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
38,584
345
126
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Foxery
It's a label based on the country's military and economic power on a large scale. Faults with citizens as individuals being fat or stupid has nothing to do with it. There are still enough smart and successful folks keeping things moving forward.

We might be an empire in decline, (it is a surprisingly good analogy,) but we're still an empire.
Actually we are not and have never been an empire. maybe when we start demanding tribute from occupied areas, but until then.
Philippines?
What does charrison think it is when we get resources cheaply from nations coercively, when other nations' people labor for our benefit cheaply because of pressure we can exert?
I think that trade benefits all countries that are involved. You may see their low wages as slave labor, but more often than not it is great improvement to what these people were previously doing.
In other words, an introduction is in order.

charrison, meet the concept of exploitave trade, where one nation uses its ability to coerce - usually military power driving political power - to extort goods and services more cheaply than they otherwise would be available. This is a *very* polite way of saying the same basic thing as the mob showing up to your business, and offering you 'protection' for a fee so reasonable, you can't afford not to buy it, or when the well-armed robber offers you your health for the low price of your wallet.

Concept of exploitive trade, where one nation uses its ability to coerce - usually military power driving political power - meet charrison.

Now, charrison, note that Exploitative Trade isn't the same as Trade, which is what you address. There's a whole debate along the lines you mention available on that topic.

No, what we're talking about here might be when the term 'gunboat diplomacy' was coined, when the US sent Apmiral Perry into Tokyo Harbor to tell them they'd be ending their centuries-old preference to cut off the outside world, or they'd be adding a lot of lead to their diet; it might be when a big foreign corporation pays off the 'leadership' of a nation to make deals with it - selling public assets under market value, for example - that are not 'fair' to someone, especially if a military threat has helped pave the way for the coercion.

We're not talking here about just saying 'hey, China has a lot of poor people, and we can have mutually beneficial trade, even if we might be harming our own industries'.

You two kids have a lot to talk about so I'll let you get to it.
 
Aug 23, 2000
15,513
1
81
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Empires take a long time to die.

Yeah, I know, it's commentary on a site that wants people to buy precious metals.

Are We Rome?

There was another book I tried to find a link for, but Amazon sucks in that even if you put in the exact title, they won't always put that book up at the top of the results. I believe the title was, "When Empires Fall."
There is a song "Give me just litte more time"

Just give Republicans a little more time and the objective of no longer being a "super power" will be completed.

That actually is the goal as I have stated many times.

What is important is the heads of the corporations to be the "super power" now not any one particular country.
The repubs may need a little more time to do it, but the 2 democrats you have to choose from will do it over night.
 

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
38,584
345
126
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Empires take a long time to die.

Yeah, I know, it's commentary on a site that wants people to buy precious metals.

Are We Rome?

There was another book I tried to find a link for, but Amazon sucks in that even if you put in the exact title, they won't always put that book up at the top of the results. I believe the title was, "When Empires Fall."
There is a song "Give me just litte more time"

Just give Republicans a little more time and the objective of no longer being a "super power" will be completed.

That actually is the goal as I have stated many times.

What is important is the heads of the corporations to be the "super power" now not any one particular country.
The repubs may need a little more time to do it, but the 2 democrats you have to choose from will do it over night.
No, they won't. Now, try again with an actual argument to back up your misguided assertion.
 

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
34,891
4,846
126
We are a super power because other countries chose us to be a super power. The only thing keeping us from collapsing is that other countries chose to support our currency and loan us money in dollars and accept the worthless dollars we keep printing as repayment.
They chose to work for us at a sharp discount to build up their export economies. That is until they build those economies up enough that their own people decide that they want the nice life for themselves instead of exporting it to us, which they are rapidly doing. Now we have to compete with their domestic markets for natural resources and goods, and they don't really need to keep subsidizing our consumption so much. You can see it happening already, China is revaluing the yuan up because they are no longer willing to accept domestic inflation they get by tying their currency to the dollar. Which means they are now more interested in keeping things affordable for their own populations than subsidizing exporters with currency to keep things cheap for us. And if they are no longer subsidizing our imports, we are going to have to eat the inflation, big time, so get ready for a reduction of our standards of living to correspond to what we actually create. The lazy and uneducated workers in this country will have to get used to standards of living appropriate for lazy and uneducated workers, no longer subsidized by hard working cheap labor from overseas.

 

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
1,070
0
0
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Empires take a long time to die.

Yeah, I know, it's commentary on a site that wants people to buy precious metals.

Are We Rome?

There was another book I tried to find a link for, but Amazon sucks in that even if you put in the exact title, they won't always put that book up at the top of the results. I believe the title was, "When Empires Fall."
There is a song "Give me just litte more time"

Just give Republicans a little more time and the objective of no longer being a "super power" will be completed.

That actually is the goal as I have stated many times.

What is important is the heads of the corporations to be the "super power" now not any one particular country.
The repubs may need a little more time to do it, but the 2 democrats you have to choose from will do it over night.
No, they won't. Now, try again with an actual argument to back up your misguided assertion.
You totally showed him with your own actual argument that backs up your own assertion!
 

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
20,661
755
126
Originally posted by: Foxery
Another spin on it -

Our citizens are afforded the "luxury" of being stupid because the country is a superpower. We don't need to be competent, because we live in a safe environment and have a high standard of living.

The average American doesn't need to know how to sew our own clothing, grow our own food, or defend our houses against rebel militants... so we don't. We sit on our asses watching TV, wondering why the rest of the world wants to live here so badly.
Thats actually....a very good point.
 

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
20,661
755
126
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Foxery
It's a label based on the country's military and economic power on a large scale. Faults with citizens as individuals being fat or stupid has nothing to do with it. There are still enough smart and successful folks keeping things moving forward.

We might be an empire in decline, (it is a surprisingly good analogy,) but we're still an empire.
Actually we are not and have never been an empire. maybe when we start demanding tribute from occupied areas, but until then.
Philippines?
What does charrison think it is when we get resources cheaply from nations coercively, when other nations' people labor for our benefit cheaply because of pressure we can exert?
I think that trade benefits all countries that are involved. You may see their low wages as slave labor, but more often than not it is great improvement to what these people were previously doing.
In other words, an introduction is in order.

charrison, meet the concept of exploitave trade, where one nation uses its ability to coerce - usually military power driving political power - to extort goods and services more cheaply than they otherwise would be available. This is a *very* polite way of saying the same basic thing as the mob showing up to your business, and offering you 'protection' for a fee so reasonable, you can't afford not to buy it, or when the well-armed robber offers you your health for the low price of your wallet.

Concept of exploitive trade, where one nation uses its ability to coerce - usually military power driving political power - meet charrison.

Now, charrison, note that Exploitative Trade isn't the same as Trade, which is what you address. There's a whole debate along the lines you mention available on that topic.

No, what we're talking about here might be when the term 'gunboat diplomacy' was coined, when the US sent Apmiral Perry into Tokyo Harbor to tell them they'd be ending their centuries-old preference to cut off the outside world, or they'd be adding a lot of lead to their diet; it might be when a big foreign corporation pays off the 'leadership' of a nation to make deals with it - selling public assets under market value, for example - that are not 'fair' to someone, especially if a military threat has helped pave the way for the coercion.

We're not talking here about just saying 'hey, China has a lot of poor people, and we can have mutually beneficial trade, even if we might be harming our own industries'.

You two kids have a lot to talk about so I'll let you get to it.
youre usually very good at presenting your side. But on this-you suck. Only because you are very naive. When we talk about sending labor overseas, it isnt as many say. Sure, its cheap and OMG for ~us~ but for them its usually a pretty good wage.

As Ive said in many other threads, Ive traveled alll over the planet. Let me give you one example. Levi's are made in Manila. The average worker making them makes about $200/mo, or $1.20 or so per hour. MY GOD! you say. SLAVE LABOR! your naivity shows big time by saying this. $200/mo, or 8500 pesos, for someone who lives with family is a good wage. Not rich, but its pretty good.

Get it? It's not exploitive at all. We give people a fair wage for a days work. Are there abuses? Sure. But its the exception, not the rule. I could give you two dozen examples, including breaking down pay vs the economy in any particular country. youre just plain dead wrong.
 

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
17,033
1
81
Originally posted by: blackangst1youre usually very good at presenting your side. But on this-you suck. Only because you are very naive. When we talk about sending labor overseas, it isnt as many say. Sure, its cheap and OMG for ~us~ but for them its usually a pretty good wage.

As Ive said in many other threads, Ive traveled alll over the planet. Let me give you one example. Levi's are made in Manila. The average worker making them makes about $200/mo, or $1.20 or so per hour. MY GOD! you say. SLAVE LABOR! your naivity shows big time by saying this. $200/mo, or 8500 pesos, for someone who lives with family is a good wage. Not rich, but its pretty good.

Get it? It's not exploitive at all. We give people a fair wage for a days work. Are there abuses? Sure. But its the exception, not the rule. I could give you two dozen examples, including breaking down pay vs the economy in any particular country. youre just plain dead wrong.
He would also know that these type of things actually drive wages up in these countries. It has happened in India, China, mexico and just about any other place that has been accused of having cheap labor. As these counties build skills, their labor becomes more valuable and demands higher wages. There is no race to the bottom because of trade.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY