Why I upgraded to the LG G7 (from the Moto X Pure)

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
The Moto X Pure was a great run for almost 3 years.
I could have easily gotten another year or two from it.
I had absolutely no good reason to replace it
but, I wanted to waste some money and go shopping.

I got a barely used LG G7 for around $400

• Dual Camera
  • 6.1" Screen
  • 4GB RAM
  • 64GB Storage
  • Android 8
  • 3000 maH Battery
  • 2018 build Date
  • SD Card
  • Headphone Jack

Just doesn't have dual speaker, but whatever.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Damn, I shoulda sold you mine. I dislike it a lot. Collecting dust with 20 other phones I dislike. The screen killed it for me.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
What's wrong with the screen? I notice a reflection or glare under direct bright lamps.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
What is the notch, and why does it matter?
It matters to me because its ugly and totally necessary. Plus, I don;'t want to look like an apple clone tool. If android phones want to clone a screen-look why don't they clone samsungs higher end phone instead of some lame apple product. There is absolutely no reason in the world to have a notch. None. Its a really bad design choice. Othe that that the G7 is a somewhat decent phone. The single speaker actually sound better than most dual speaker phones.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
That is the dumbest thing I've read in the last 10 years.
I had to Google this and did not know it was a thing.

2m2g1m.jpg

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
What is the notch, and why does it matter?

The notch is a design decision that does not have to be there, but it is. It is an attempt to increase the display real estate. I am certain there will never be a way to integrate the cameras and flash etc. into the display itself, so you will either live with them in the bezel and the blank space next to these things, or there will be a notch. My wife has the G7, it is a good phone, and you can hide the notch. With the LCD display it is still noticeable if you look for it, but after a while you get used to it. I hide the notch on my phone, but in some instances it still shows up. I'd much rather have a headphone jack and memory card slot and deal with the notch, some people don't like it.

If you have the phone and didn't even notice it I would not worry about other people's opinion of it. At least they use that small portion to display notifications next to the cameras anyway.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Yea, more screen real estate compared to the Pure, which has 2 black bars across the entire width. at top and bottom

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I typically buy 2-300.00 slightly used phones which means I can't be ridiculously picky... Got my G6 about a year ago and it has been great. No notch, but really good camera which is what I was shopping for like the OP. You should be very happy with the G7.
@Oyeve is your G7 a Verizon phone? How much do you want for it?

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Tell us more about how you ended up with 20 phones.
Addiction to shopping? Why not sell em?

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I have a weakness for old British cars- Triumph, Jaguar, Austin Healey, etc. But I also like newer American muscle cars- Mustang, Challenger, which are probably the best bang for the buck cars out there right now.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I am still running the LG G7.
Looks like it's been about 1.5 years.
Still going strong.

Any reason to upgrade?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
If low light pictures are your thing, the G7 sux at that. Otherwise the wife is still happy with hers.