Why I Refuse to Vote for Barack Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/why-i-refuse-to-vote-for-barack-obama/262861/

I think this article goes into detail many of the issues on both sides of the aisle. While also pointing out the blatent disregard for human rights Obama has done under his admin. Both sides play the lesser of two evils game when deciding on a candidate. This article is a good explanation why Mitt Romney wont get my vote. He would do exactly what Obama has done on most issues. I am done playing the lesser of two evils game.

Last edited:

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I think it's an excellent piece. There are acts being carried out on the orders of the American government that are truly horrifying and are creating a new generation that hate the West to the core.

There certainly needs to be action of some sort to make sure that terrorists cannot operate in the open and easily plan the next 9/11, but what's carrying on right now is not worth it. America is supposedly about freedom but both of your major parties endorse these terrible acts. You should feel obligated to speak out and take your vote elsewhere.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
While also pointing out the blatent disregard for human rights Obama has done under his admin.

Sorry but I don't give a shit about how Obama is "terrorizing" people in Pakistan. That country will be a violent anarchic shithole no matter what we do, so we should be doing what we have to do to keep the United States safe.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I will not vote for anyone who believes in central planning. I will not vote D or R.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
And people wonder why brown people hate us ^^^

Oh please, they hated us long before we were involved in Pakistan (I'm sure 9/11 was in response to all those drone strikes :rolleyes: ) and if we pulled out of there tomorrow they'd still hate us. 99.9% of the misery in Pakistan is caused by Pakistanis, on a macro level what the US is doing is insignificant.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I read it.

so basically his argument boils down to

Obama's drone strike campaign is bad (American boy was killed in one attack)
Obama said the N word
Obama is against gay rights
Obama didn't "reel in" executive power as promised

The last one seems to be the crux of the others and therefore imo the most important. And I have a problem with that, BIG TIME.

I also read the article about the 16 year old boy. It was linked in the initial OP article, good read.

I also read the article that was linked in the intitial OP article about Obama's image being sanitized. Here is the best excerpt from that article:

The implicit message is that indefinite detention, extrajudicial assassinations, wars without Congressional approval, and all the rest aren't actually important enough to warrant scrutiny so long as the liberal agenda on health care, economic stimulus, education, and other domestic matters are being carried out

Some of this I agree with. But here is what I don't agree with:

Drone campaign is good imo
The N word thing is stupid
Obama is pro-equality, I don't know where this anti-gay is coming from.
"reining in" expansive POTUS power wasn't an Obama promise that I recall.

Expanded POTUS Power - blaming Obama for not reigning in POTUS power pisses me off. Back when GWB was running roughshod with expanding HIS POTUS power there were TONS of us on the left that was sounding the alarm bells about how once a POTUS has established these new expanded powers, NO President following would ever roll them back..and the caution was that either a D or an R would continue to expand POTUS powers. It is no surprise to me that people continue to gripe about expanded POTUS powers...I don't blame Obama, I wouldn't blame McCain and I won't blame the next President for continuing to expand POTUS powers because we let it happen, under GWB. This goes for wiretapping, torture, and everything else the OP author is blaming Obama for. If anyone deserves the blame for these expanded POTUS powers it should be OURSELVES and the CONGRESS that allows it all to happen. We are stupid if we think that someone is going to come into office and "reel in" POTUS powers...what you can expect to happen is a new POTUS will use executive powers to enact his parties agenda, period.

As for the drone campaign. I don't want to turn a blind eye to the damage done by these drone attacks but I can't deny it's effectiveness. I'd rather we live in a world where such campaigns aren't necessary, but we don't. I think the alternatives are more boots on the ground. I also think that any POTUS whether D or R, would continue an effective strategy that includes drone operations. Sorry for the 16 year old kid. I am sorry for all the kids that get caught up in the war zone(s).

my .02. Thanks for the links OP.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/why-i-refuse-to-vote-for-barack-obama/262861/

I think this article goes into detail many of the issues on both sides of the aisle. While also pointing out the blatent disregard for human rights Obama has done under his admin. Both sides play the lesser of two evils game when deciding on a candidate. This article is a good explanation why Mitt Romney wont get my vote. He would do exactly what Obama has done on most issues. I am done playing the lesser of two evils game.
you have had your head in the sand all throughout history.....

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I'm not keen on giving Obama my vote. However, there's no way in hell I want Romney to win either.

Voting for Johnson is appealing.

Apr 27, 2012
Oh please, they hated us long before we were involved in Pakistan (I'm sure 9/11 was in response to all those drone strikes :rolleyes: ) and if we pulled out of there tomorrow they'd still hate us. 99.9% of the misery in Pakistan is caused by Pakistanis, on a macro level what the US is doing is insignificant.

They hated us for invading there countries and killing there people:(

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

I remember back in 2000 people said the same sort of things about Mr Gore or that there was no difference between him and Mr Bush. Mr Bush got elected and the US wil be paying for the next couple of generations for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.