Why I like the USA...

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
Warning - stormy saturday afternoon + lots of time in one's hand = long post.

I've seen lots of negativity on these boards concerning the fate of the U.S... plenty of doom & gloom threads about how you're facing economic collapse, how you're being stuck in a quagmire in Iraq, and how internally, the rich/poor divide is wracking stability. And i've seen a variety of ideas from all corners of the political spectrum (though the socially liberal/fiscal conservative seems to be the majority.) and most recently, i've seen vicious arguing among the political factions on this board, regarding the presidential candidates, many arguments devolving into vicious flame wars.. so i thought, to clear the air, I, a foreigner, would list what I like about the States, after living here for the past 6 years or so.

First of all, the constitution. I haven't read the entirety, but it baffles the mind to know that a
bunch of people, 200 years back, wrote such an incredibly forward thinking document, something that can be used to resolve some of our more difficult issues even today, despite the progress humanity has made since it was written. Despite slavery and women's rights, the fundamental idea contained in that document, namely, liberty, is timeless and should be the foundation of every human society established. Truly, it is one of the strongest points of your country.

Secondly, while racism and prejudice still permeate this society, hard work and drive are still primary drivers for success. I arrived here with little cash and had my share of difficulties, but amazingly, all that I have needed for both academic and financial success is a willingness to work hard and be responsible for my actions. And somehow, it has always been the results of my work that has mattered - not my color, not my accent or my cultural background. While I acknowledge that many people have still suffered discrimination on these bases, by and large, all you need is drive, courage and hard work - the rest falls in place.

Thirdly say what you will about the fall of american society, corruption in politics and economic collapse, it is my opinion that Americans are some of the most fair, friendly and hardworking people in the world. and it is my opinion that no matter how bad things look, the people of this society have that basic resilience, courage and strength required to make the decisions to put things right. Sure, you have the tabloids, the Paris Hiltons and the Britney Spears, but those are merely a false exterior, an illusion - the real America is strong, smart, responsbile and can kick ass. I don't have to provide any evidence - just watch what happened the three months after 9/11. *thats* real American society, not hollywood and the media.

And lastly, one of the lamentable aspects that I struggle still to reconcile myself with is the lack of a 1000 years of culture that many other countries have. Being from a country that has a long history of tradition, where life in every aspect is permeated by the weight of the centuries part, I feel this void in American life; but that's just me. What I comfort myself is that I'm a part of a budding culture, one of the very first settlers of this nascent society. In effect, we're creating the culture that historians are going to study centuries down the road.. and I feel privileged.. especially since it appears that the creation of this society, thanks to modern methods of information exchange and travel, is unprecedented. Nowhere else can so many peoples, from all parts of the world, congregate to merge the best parts of their culture, and throw of the blanket of stagnation that has beset theim in their home countries. Say what you will about the lack of assimilation, etc, but i firmly believe it's happening, and it's for the best.

That's basically about it. I feel lucky to be here, and I'm glad I made the decision a while back. Despite some hostility, claims of job theft, TSA checks, etc, I feel privileged that I'm one of the few who've been allowed to remain and bloom in this country of yours, and cannot thank american society enough for the stability, the open mindedness, the friendliness and availability of opportunities that have allowed me to thrive. God bless the USA!

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Well written post :thumbsup:

Originally posted by: nixium
-snip-
And lastly, one of the lamentable aspects that I struggle still to reconcile myself with is the lack of a 1000 years of culture that many other countries have. Being from a country that has a long history of tradition, where life in every aspect is permeated by the weight of the centuries part, I feel this void in American life; but that's just me.

^ As an American who has lived abroad in "older" countries, I can understand somewhat; although it was reversed for me. Seeing that "long history of tradition" and the "weight of centuries past" was different and interesting for me. Hah, I enjoyed meals and/or drinks at restaurants in buildings that were older than the USA :)

Fern

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's true, the constitution is the best thing about the USA. It would be better if it were honored, and arguably a lot of times it is not honored. It's been pointed out that many of the people responsible for writing the constitution were hypocrites. However, the document (with amendments) stands on its own.

Since we are comparing the USA, I'd like to point out (this is common knowledge) that health care in this country is not nearly as universally accessible as it is in probably any other developed country on the planet. This is not just a shortcoming. It's symptomatic of deeper problems, difficult problems that will take much time to work out.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Welcome, and thanks. I have to ask: Is English your native language? If not, I'm vastly impressed - you write better than most Americans.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
People love few things more than having their ego stroked by being complimented on how amazingly great they are, and Americans are no exception.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JS80
:thumbsup: people like you help make this country great.

:thumbsup:

It's important and refreshing to remember our strengths as well as our weaknesses. It is the America that you see and have experienced that I have faith will endure and prevail in the long run.

Jun 26, 2007
I am not going to read all that and in my book the USA isn't among the first 60 choices of countries i'd want to live in.

The only reason i'll visit is because of people and the reasons in my sig, to live in the US.. heh.. NO!

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
I am not going to read all that and in my book the USA isn't among the first 60 choices of countries i'd want to live in.

The only reason i'll visit is because of people and the reasons in my sig, to live in the US.. heh.. NO!

Let me guess, Cuba and Venezuela are above the US on your list.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004

Whatever. I've had a love affair with your country that started when I first visited at 18, and have been all over the south from London to Bath, Windsor, Oxford, etc., but no Midlands or north yet, sorry. I took several English/British history classes in college, covering everything from the Norman Conquest to World War II.

But WTF is happening there lately? All I read about is teenagers with knives, drunken yobs puking and fighting all over Europe, Scottish independence, the Irish actually "saving" the British from Lisbon after the UK was refused a referendum, and widespread discontent at uncontrolled immigration and huge percentage of the native population living off the state. And normal people actually discussing the BNP...?

Is it really that bad, or has BBC lost it?

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

And yet you post in the thread... :roll: