Why I believe "liberals" are more Patriotic than Neo-Cons.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
To start with liberals don't go around trying to cut every tax and governement program in existence. They willingly advocate to pay taxes. All I hear from the neo-cons is how bad taxes are. Seems neo-cons lack the patriotism to sacrifice for their country.
Or they believe that the people can spend their money better than the government can.

Liberals support easier financial access to higher education which is a investment in keeping America strong and competitive. Neo-cons want to keep this money for themselves out of what I believe to be putting personal greed above the well being of their country.
Then why were liberals so rabidly opposed to school vouchers? It seems to me that if liberals were truly concerned about educating our youth they would give people the option to shop around for a better school. I know you are talking about college... and to a certain extent you are right... but not everybody can go to college. A good K-12 education is still important though. I never could figure out why libs were so opposed to giving a poor kid a shot at better schooling. (OH NOES!!!1!1!!! They might go to a catholic school!)
Liberals question the policies and actions of the country, continually trying to improve them. Neo-cons call any criticism 'unpatriotic'. Liberals say we can always do better and neo-cons always say we have done enough.
That's a huge exaggeration.
Liberals opposed the most draconian parts of the "patriot act". Liberals said they would accept some very small risks in some highly unlikely event that finding out someones library list secretly would prevent a terrorist attack. Living up to the Constitution. Neo-cons said we must give up some of our rights to ensure safety. Seems they don't have the patriotism to stand up for the principles this country was founded on and are willing to sacrifice their rights for safety.
Do I really need to point out that the PA was overwhelming approved by both sides? The libs have filibustered everything else in the senate they didn't like... why not filibuster the last PA bill that went through?

Seems unpatriotically cowardly to me.
I could go on and on.
Ok
Perhaps the most patriotic stand of liberals has been to support our Founding Fathers that America should be a land where no one religion or goup of religions should hold sway. Where people would be wholly free to worship the God of their understanding. Where the government would be a rational entity guided by men whose moral character was formed by their faith but who governed secularly.
We can all agree on that. That's not a liberal/conservative issue... unless you point out that liberals seem to want to erase religion in even the most benign of public settings. They have definitely gone overboard in that regard.
Thomas Jefferson and the rest of the Founding Fathers would be appalled we were considering teaching 'intelligent design' in our taxpayer funded schools.
And so are liberals.
That actaully made me laugh. School in our FF's days taught CREATIONISM. Not some watered down version of it. Often children were taught to read with the Bible.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
How can someone be "more patriotic" then [sic] someone else...I didn't realize that Patriotism was quantifiable.

See my sig please.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: piasabird

Most of these liberals in Congress voted to fund the war in Iraq. They are Hypocrites.

No - most of the 'liberals' in Congress placed thier trust in the President at the time because of the information he was feeding them.

Judas kissed them and ran - deceitful betrayal of trust in a 'Leader'.

You trust him now ?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: techs
Liberals support easier financial access to higher education which is a investment in keeping America strong and competitive. Neo-cons want to keep this money for themselves out of what I believe to be putting personal greed above the well being of their country.
Then why were liberals so rabidly opposed to school vouchers? It seems to me that if liberals were truly concerned about educating our youth they would give people the option to shop around for a better school. I know you are talking about college... and to a certain extent you are right... but not everybody can go to college. A good K-12 education is still important though. I never could figure out why libs were so opposed to giving a poor kid a shot at better schooling. (OH NOES!!!1!1!!! They might go to a catholic school!)

Liberals are against school vouchers because of fears it will engender a two tier educational system. When the better off get their voucher a large number will send their kids to schools that cost some additional money. This will be used by some people to segregate their kids and wind up dividing the country. And the poorest will send their kids to essentially the same schools we have now. The idea will permantently create an underclass. Bad for America.

btw I believe college should be far less expensive for qualified students. I know many young people who are looking at the cost and wondering if its worth it when by the time they graduate many fields may have moved en mass out of the country.
We are potentially denying America of the next Andy Grove. Who arrived in the U.S. in 1957 and went tuition-free to the City University of New York. And then founded Intel.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
So now you become more or less patriotic depending on your political views? There will be soon be a thread where someone will say Democrats are more patriotic than Republicans.

What makes me mad is that Democrats are not condemning the treatment Steele is getting. They are simply saying it is acceptable to throw oreos at him. For that reason alone, Democrats are unpatriotic.