• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Why hasn't AMD announced desktop Renoir APUs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shivansps

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Desktop Picasso has what? 6 months in market? Desktop Raven Ridge had like 17 months in market before getting replaced by Picasso. Saying that they will come out this July is very optimistic.

About annoucements they probably want to delay it at least until reviews of the mobile ones are out. If they come out now and say that the 4200G has a Vega 5 or Vega 6 they are going to get hit by a backlash until they can prove that these are faster. And even then is not enoght for me bacause its Vega.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
My point was that if Renoir desktop was introduced today, you'll be able to buy it right away.

Even if it comes say June, it'll be at most 3 months behind the mobile parts, not 6 months.
Why hold back either way. I mean yeah AMD basically told us these chips are already shipping for sale. But if they were releasing desktop APU's any time this half, why not announce them now. The main reason is they don't know how mobile purchases will leave them bin wise for SKU's. They will wait till well Laptops start selling before they even think about desktop APU's. This is why they waited well after EPYC for Ryzen and TR releases. It's why certain SKU's that would have major value on retail are OEM only and so on. That's not to say they can't come in June. Just saying the better these sell in Laptops the longer we wait for desktop. Could even see a situation where we don't see these on the desktop till AMD is nearing release it's replacement.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Gotta space out the products to hit all the news cycles!
That helps. But even if the 4800G is the best APU not in a console ever, its not going to hit as hard as the AMD's big announcements these last 3 quarters. But then again even the higher demand products will still have trouble keeping up the best year AMD ever had publicity wise.

maddie

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2010
Desktop Picasso has what? 6 months in market? Desktop Raven Ridge had like 17 months in market before getting replaced by Picasso. Saying that they will come out this July is very optimistic.

About annoucements they probably want to delay it at least until reviews of the mobile ones are out. If they come out now and say that the 4200G has a Vega 5 or Vega 6 they are going to get hit by a backlash until they can prove that these are faster. And even then is not enoght for me bacause its Vega.
I understand your position in Argentina, but really, what is the alternative? Do people stop buying computers? Serious question.

Shivansps

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I understand your position in Argentina, but really, what is the alternative? Do people stop buying computers? Serious question.
People are gonna keep buying, there is no choice. That dosent means that i have to like that AMD is cutting costs on APUs.
Remember that i used a 2200G-3200G for a total of 10 months after i had to sell my RX480, i like what these little APUs can do so im pissed right now. In fact i was limited by my motherboard VRMs for IGP overcloking, not the APU itseft.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
People are gonna keep buying, there is no choice. That dosent means that i have to like that AMD is cutting costs on APUs.
Remember that i used a 2200G-3200G for a total of 10 months when i dint had a dgpu, i like what these little APUs can do so im pissed right now.
Who said they are cost cutting?
Think you are projecting there. They cut the die size by 25%, but this is on almost 4x the cost per wafer, plus decrease of the new process on yeilds. But at 50% more dense.

What they really did was prioritize core count increase. The first since they created their first APU's.

Shivansps

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Who said they are cost cutting?
Think you are projecting there. They cut the die size by 25%, but this is on almost 4x the cost per wafer, plus decrease of the new process on yeilds. But at 50% more dense.

What they really did was prioritize core count increase. The first since they created their first APU's.
I know they did that due to having to step up their game in notebooks but lets be honest, in desktop, if you can buy a $300+ 8C CPU, and a good motherboard you can buy a RX550/GT1030. And as a bonus it wouldt use any of your ram. Very expensive APUs are the ones that are really a niche here.

Dont get me wrong i welcome more APUs, but Vega segmentation is going to hurt were the APUs make more sence.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I know they did that due to having to step up their game in notebooks but lets be honest, in desktop, if you can buy a $300+ 8C CPU, and a good motherboard you can buy a RX550/GT1030. And as a bonus it wouldt use any of your ram. Very expensive APUs are the ones that are really a niche here.

Dont get me wrong i welcome more APUs, but Vega segmentation is going to hurt were the APUs make more sence.
APU's make more sense as Laptop CPU's. I get what your saying but it doesn't remove the fact that these are Laptop CPU's whatever you plan on doing with them and the GPU portion when talking about desktop APU's have played a nearly insignificant portion of purchasing decision of purchasers of those APU's.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I have to disagree, a soc like renoir besides the ability to disabled CUs they also have cpu cores they can disable.
A pure GPU like Navi is still much easier.

Why?

Because a CPU can only be disabled at a core level. You can't really disable the FPUs or the ALUs.

An 8 CU GPU is made up of 512 ALUs. Plus lot of them are made up of SRAM and they are very repetitive structures.

Reactions: moinmoin

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
An 8 CU GPU is made up of 512 ALUs. Plus lot of them are made up of SRAM and they are very repetitive structures.
Ok but in a cpu which have 8 cpu cores and 8 gpu cu units, it's not much difficult to disable one or the other.
You do it just for product segmentation, yields, broken part, ...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS