Why FEMA denies aid to Black families that have lived for generations in Deep South

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Seems like an easy fix since it’s a self imposed requirement. How hard would it be to work individually with each home owner and verify through property tax payments?

I’m curious as to what, if any, the profile of those committing fraud look like. Once you understand who commits the fraud you can then put in better protections.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Sounds like someone, maybe attorneys acting pro bono, needs to go to these places and help the residents clean up their title. The problem is that title issues can be complicated to fix in court and they probably can't afford lawyers to help them.

Nov 8, 2012
Sounds like someone, maybe attorneys acting pro bono, needs to go to these places and help the residents clean up their title. The problem is that title issues can be complicated to fix in court and they probably can't afford lawyers to help them.
Right, but why have a sane and rational conversation about that when you can just pull another race card like the OP?

I'm pretty sure at this point he has hit number 5000 and wins a prize.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Right, but why have a sane and rational conversation about that when you can just pull another race cars like the OP?

I'm pretty sure at this point he has hit number 5000 and wins a prize.

And your explanation as to why black families are disproportionately affected by this is... ?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
And your explanation as to why black families are disproportionately affected by this is... ?

He didn't read the article and is being obtuse.

More than a third of Black-owned land in the South is passed down informally, rather than through deeds and wills, according to land use experts. It's a custom that dates to the Jim Crow era, when Black people were excluded from the Southern legal system. When land is handed down like this, it becomes heirs' property, a form of ownership in which families hold property collectively, without clear title.

Being excluded from the legal system would have meant that they had no access to courts to probate the estates of deceased ancestors, meaning the heir could not acquire clear legal title to the property.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No doubt there are already pro bono attorneys working this every day. The real estate industry has some of the worst systemic racism there is. These peoples' titles are clouded because generations of local interests have worked hard to keep them that way. I've been in mortgage for 26 years, and I can tell you from first-hand experience, and from the mountains of irrefutable data, that this shit is shameful. Some of us are working to change that though.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
He didn't read the article and is being obtuse.

Being excluded from the legal system would have meant that they had no access to courts to probate the estates of deceased ancestors, meaning the heir could not acquire clear legal title to the property.
100% agreed on this. Except for the part about the troll being obtuse. But maybe I give him too much credit.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
While I don't always agree with s0me0nesmind1 he does have a point. The OP does like to play the race card. Jus sayin bro it's kinda the OPs mo.

As far as the Yahoo article he linked to goes it kinda feels like and reads like a puff piece.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
While I don't always agree with s0me0nesmind1 he does have a point. The OP does like to play the race card. Jus sayin bro it's kinda the OPs mo.

Whether it is or isn't has no bearing on the validity of the issue raised in the thread.

As far as the Yahoo article he linked to goes it kinda feels like and reads like a puff piece.

"Kinda feels like and reads like a puff piece" is not a criticism with any substance. If you think something in it is factually wrong then explain. Otherwise, your own post kinda feels like and reads like a puff piece.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
No doubt there already pro bono attorneys working this every day. The real estate industry has some of the worst systemic racism there is. These peoples' titles are clouded because generations of local interests have worked hard to keep them that way. I've been in mortgage for 26 years, and I can tell you from first-hand experience, and from the mountains of irrefutable data, that this shit is shameful. Some of us are working to change that though.

If there were pro bono attorneys working on this every day there wouldn't still be unresolved title issues with these properties going back 100+ years. It's a complicated legal problem, but is fixable.

My guess is that because this is the rural south, the problem is not nationally known. Maybe the WaPo article will help with that.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Whether it is or isn't has no bearing on the validity of the issue raised in the thread.

"Kinda feels like and reads like a puff piece" is not a criticism with any substance. If you think something in it is factually wrong then explain. Otherwise, your own post kinda feels like and reads like a puff piece.
Woah easy bro. I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers around here. I get this place has a pecking order. On the other hand it is a yahoo article and yeah ya know you kinda gotta take those at face value.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Woah easy bro. I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers around here. I get this place has a pecking order. On the other hand it is a yahoo article and yeah ya know you kinda gotta take those at face value.

It's a WaPo article. Yahoo is a news aggregator site.

Pecking order? LOL

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
It's a WaPo article. Yahoo is a news aggregator site.

Pecking order? LOL
Well that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification.:)

BTW of course there is a pecking order around here. You would be blind not to see it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

And I'm just saying that whenever the race issue comes up, some people always try to downplay it even when the facts and evidence are irrefutable. Even when they're completely oblivious to and without the slightest shred of knowledge of the entire issue. And that really makes me want to question why they feel the need to do that, but only in such particularly selective topics, such as this one.

These property owners have clouded title because the county recorders offices wouldn't record their deeds, and the county judges wouldn't hear their probate cases. Now we could argue that there may be a number of causes behind this, but that you and the other poster are certain that we can't talk about the most obvious cause... just isn't a good look for you.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Well that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification.:)

BTW of course there is a pecking order around here. You would be blind not to see it.

I don't really know what you mean by pecking order. Clearly the majority of posters are on the left, and those on the right are frequently flamed. If that is what you mean, then yes I understand. If you're referring to a "pecking order" involving individuals, I honestly don't know what you mean. Feel free to explain.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020

How many time do the words "Washington Post" appear in the screenshot of the linked article? How come you were unable to read any of the instances where "Washington Post" was written?
Screenshot_20210713-220626.png

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The "pecking order" here is that you have to have brains and the ability to argue a subject intelligently and logically based upon the facts. This isn't an RWNJ echo chamber where "truth" is based on what feels right.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I don't really know what you mean by pecking order. Clearly the majority of posters are on the left, and those on the right are frequently flamed. If that is what you mean, then yes I understand. If you're referring to a "pecking order" involving individuals, I honestly don't know what you mean. Feel free to explain.
If I may say so, the reason why posters on the right are frequently flamed here is because not one of them here ever argues in good faith. I am certain that somewhere there are right-wingers able to intelligently, knowledgeably, and earnestly argue the issues, and I would welcome their discourse. The problem is that they don't come here, for whatever reason.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
The "pecking order" here is that you have to have brains and the ability to argue a subject intelligently and logically based upon the facts. This isn't an RWNJ echo chamber where "truth" is based on what feels right.
I totally agree. Having a brain is a necessity and one that intelligently and logically interprets facts is a must. I don't know what a RWNJ echo chamber is and I'm honestly to lazy to google it so I'll just take your word on it.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
It's easy to proclaim "racism" or "conservatives are racists" and then move on to the next trendy thing without actually saying anything. The SJWs with their awesomeness saves the day.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's easy to proclaim "racism" or "conservatives are racists" and then move on to the next trendy thing without actually saying anything. The SJWs with their awesomeness saves the day.
And your explanation is... ?

No offense, but I don't give a flying fuck about your feels or how hurt you are because someone called you as racist.
We get it though. You're not racist. It's just a coincidence that you're always trying to silence any speech about actual racism by claiming that anyone who voices opposition to racism must be insincere. Totally a bizarre coincidence.

Last edited:

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
its even easier to claim 1/6 was antifa/blm, lost tourists, people full of love or any other such crap.

By the way, I can back up the things I just said and identify who said them and when and under what circumstances. Can you do the same with the bullshit you posted? And if you think you can then I fucking dare you to do so, so you and I can discuss them...one tiny caveat however, you must use non bullshit filled nutter sources...wanna play? Or you just gonna bullshit post and run like a coward?

Nov 8, 2012

It's more of... "Anyone who has a point of view that at all differs from the lynch mob"

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi