Why don't the government make lethal injection truly painless?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Howard
Pump the chamber full of carbon monoxide.

Thats what I was going to say. Dosen't your body just pick up the CO thinking it's oxygen? So you basically fall asleep and don't wake up.

Jun 27, 2005
First post: Check
Black guy avatar: Check
Controversial topic ripe for flame war: Check

Where's my iPod?

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
How about the people that are wrongly convicted and then exonerated by DNA evidence. Were they going to deserve it? Or is that different?

This is the one thing that has me rethinking my position of the death penalty. I fully support putting those guilty of murder or repeated child sexual abuse to death. What I have a problem with is that we do not require evidence that is irrefutable before imposing the sentence of death. Putting people on death row on circumstantial evidence in my opinion is just not enough. Too many innocent people have been put to death because of faulty evidence and being framed.

Until the Government requires the physical evidence being irrefutable, I can not support the death penalty.

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
?Some men, probably, abstain from murder because they fear that if they committed murder they would be hanged. Hundreds of thousands abstain from it because they regard it with horror. One great reason why they regard it with horror is because murderers are hanged.?

- Sir James Fitzjames Stephen

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
How about the people that are wrongly convicted and then exonerated by DNA evidence. Were they going to deserve it? Or is that different?

if they were wrongly convicted and put to death, painless or painful they would still be dead. the bigger wrong is that they were put to death for something they didnt do.

i say make it hurt. why do these people get humane punishment for violent crimes they committed?

How about not killing them at all but keeping them in an unpleasant prison for the rest of their lives? Death is not a punishment-- ask anyone who is suicidal.

humans have in their mind natural survival instincts, we all wish to live through all scenarios, the hope being we live a fulfilling and meaningful life, but the main part being that we live. the suicidals are the exception, but they are failures as humans so let them depart our world. if they don't want to live, let them do their thing.

You're missing my point. Once the person is dead, he isn't suffering and therefore not being punished. Saddam Hussein would be rotting in a jail cell, thinking about all the evil he has done and what he has been reduced to, if he wasn't executed. He'd probably WANT to die, and denying him death would be a punishment. Instead, he is simply non-existent. Not much of a punishment. (although in this case keeping him alive might be dangerous since he still has followers)

Then, obviously, there's the fact that innocent people are inevitably executed. If even one innocent person is executed, that makes the death penalty not worthwile, no matter what your personal beliefs are.

There's a reason why the rest of the developed world and most of the developing world has abolished the death penalty-- because they recognize that killing is wrong. Period. And also because they recognize and do not accept the risk of killing an innocent person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: kinev
?Some men, probably, abstain from murder because they fear that if they committed murder they would be hanged. Hundreds of thousands abstain from it because they regard it with horror. One great reason why they regard it with horror is because murderers are hanged.?

Retarded quote and retarded name too. "James Fitzjames"? WTF.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
A giant playdough masher would be quick and painless, but it would be unusual... DAMN foiled again!

"Some of you will be forced through a fine mesh screen for Earth"

-Zap

It would only be unusual the first few times, then after that it would be usual.

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: kinev

Retarded quote and retarded name too. "James Fitzjames"? WTF.

I thought it was rather poignant.....and he lived in like the 1800's, so it was probably less "retarded" back then. ;)