why don't the big japanese 3 (honda, nissan, toyota) use forced induction?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SweetSweetLeroyBrown

Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: Buttzilla
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Jap = sounds racist. I'm Japanese.
Good for you, now stop perpetuating racism you nob.

Jap is a racist term you ignorant noob.

And I think people nowadays are too easily offended. It was not used in a racist manner, so stop bitching.

It doesn't matter whether the person making the comment thinks it was racist, that's for the people whom the term refers to to decide.

Well then, I think the term "American" or "Human" is racist, because I am a god among men. I dont like being called something lower than me, so refer to me at "Your lordship" "Your holiness" or "God" from now on. kthxbye

nah

idiot is a better term for you

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Balthazar
Originally posted by: geno
Well I've never seen anything in terms of proof of higher than 300HP numbers in the American version. I remember the Supra and the 3000GT being rated for 320 if memory serves correct, but the 300ZX was behind them somewhat.

Nope, the "big 3" super cars of the 90's (Supra, 3000GT, 300ZX) all had 320HP. I can see why you think the 300ZX would have 300hp though ;) It's a common misnomer, due to the name of the vehicle. I assure you, it really did have 320hp :)

I was under the imprssion that the name 300Z came, not from the horsepower, but from the fact that it was a 3.0 litre engine....just like the 350Z is a 3.5 litre engine.

And I definitely dont recall the part where auto makers were allowed to lie about the performance of a car by almost 35bhp....
I know plenty of auto makers have fundged performance numbers but anything more than 10bhp and you open yourself up for some serious issues. Insurance Institute alone would eat you alive.

go to ls1.com and browse through their FAQ.

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Balthazar
Well I've never seen anything in terms of proof of higher than 300HP numbers in the American version. I remember the Supra and the 3000GT being rated for 320 if memory serves correct, but the 300ZX was behind them somewhat.

Nope, the "big 3" super cars of the 90's (Supra, 3000GT, 300ZX) all had 320HP. I can see why you think the 300ZX would have 300hp though ;) It's a common misnomer, due to the name of the vehicle. I assure you, it really did have 320hp :)

I was under the imprssion that the name 300Z came, not from the horsepower, but from the fact that it was a 3.0 litre engine....just like the 350Z is a 3.5 litre engine.

And I definitely dont recall the part where auto makers were allowed to lie about the performance of a car by almost 35bhp....
I know plenty of auto makers have fundged performance numbers but anything more than 10bhp and you open yourself up for some serious issues. Insurance Institute alone would eat you alive.

You would be correct in that the 300 comes from the fact that it's a 3 litre engine. Just like how the 240sx comes with the KA24DE, the 200sx was offered with the SR20DE, the old Datsun 280Z had a 2.8L, and even in Japan they had the 180sx that was offered with the CA18DET. It's all relative to displacement.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
they still super charge a few cars. i think only when they deem it necessary because the engine the car uses sucks.

there was a super charged toyota previa, and the last generation nissan pathfinder was available with a super charger.

i dont think car companies use turbos for a few reasons.

first off basically all turbos use premium. granted a lot of honda vtecs require it anyway. but take the nissan vq. even in the g35 sedan, you can use regular unleaded. with a turbo you'd need premium.

another thing is the turbo would require a stronger transmission to handle the torque if it were added to a current engine. since engines are so powerful now n/a a lot of engines would be putting out 300 - 350 lb ft torque with a turbo or super charger.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: AsianriceX
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: Actaeon
Because, the gentleman's agreement over there is 276HP, and with the course of development engines have taken since then, that kind of HP is easy to come by with a 3+ Litre 6 Cylindar. It used to be that Honda's NSX was the only N/A engine from there that tapped close to that number without forced induction. Wonder why the RX8 and the 350Z are so much cheaper than their earlier counterpart? Lack of complex turbo motors is a big part of it, I assure you :) The Z32 300ZX made 300HP with turbos, the 350Z makes almost 290 with no turbos. The Mid 90's RX7 (can't remember the model designation) made something like 250HP with a twin turbo Rotary, and the RX8 makes that with no turbos. So cost is less and they figured that turbo setups weren't necessary.

He just about hit the nail on the head.

No need for turbos when a N/A version makes enough power to hit the limit anyway.
Yes, but with a turbo, you can hit the same power with less displacement, meaning less fuel is used.

That's a pretty broad generalization, it works for the most part. I'm sure you know forced induction motors require much more fuel than their non-turbo counterparts. Fuel milage isn't always retained, as someone mentioned in the Mazdaspeed Miata thread, that 1.8t gets similar fuel milage to a Corvette...
Maybe I shoul dhave just kept my mouth shut. I forgot to account for a lot of variables.

Yeah, you gotta have enough fuel to keep that massive amount of air the turbo is cramming into the combustion chamber in check. Never wanna run lean enough to have temperatures skyrocket.

Well it's not just that, but the turbo itself uses energy. Think that doesn't matter because it's exhaust? Put a restricting plate of some kind over your exhaust pipe and try to say it doesn't matter.
Of course a turbine uses energy, but yes, as you say, it is taken from the exhaust stream. And a turbine is NOWHERE as restricting as a restrictor plate typically used in NASCAR or something.