Why don't Republicans oblige Democrats by raising taxes on the "rich," many of whom live in Democratic states?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Given that liberalism's strongholds seem to be on the coasts, particularly around big cities like SF (where the cost of living is already astronomical), why don't Republicans oblige their "soak the rich" fantasies and tax the crap outta them?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: glenn1
Given that liberalism's strongholds seem to be on the coasts, particularly around big cities like SF (where the cost of living is already astronomical), why don't Republicans oblige their "soak the rich" fantasies and tax the crap outta them?

Go to CA, they already tax everything.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I lived in California for nearly four years. They're the ones bitching about the rich not paying their fair share, so why not bleed their ass dry?

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I think you misunderstand the Bush Tax.

The complaint is that the rich got a big tax cut....but now everyone has to pay for some of it through higher other taxes. Especially much higher property taxes.

The fact is that most Americans thought a tax cut was not a good idea. And correctly so.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: glenn1
I lived in California for nearly four years. They're the ones bitching about the rich not paying their fair share, so why not bleed their ass dry?

Perhaps they don't intend to "bleed their ass dry"?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The complaint is that the rich got a big tax cut....

And my point is that the "rich" they're complaining about is them. The cost of living somewhere like San Francisco and its $600k "starter homes" is such that compared to somewhere like Mississippi, guess what, you're rich.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Does anyone happen to have a link to a list of what Bush's tax cuts covered? I only have a rough idea on the overall tax cuts.

Anyways, isn't the whole original arguement on state taxes and not federal?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious
I think you misunderstand the Bush Tax.

The complaint is that the rich got a big tax cut....but now everyone has to pay for some of it through higher other taxes. Especially much higher property taxes.

The fact is that most Americans thought a tax cut was not a good idea. And correctly so.

Glad you can speak for most americans.
rolleye.gif

KK

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
That's strange, according to that chart, a married filing jointly with an AGI of $35,000 will see an $1898 reduction in taxes where a married filing jointly AGI of $75,000 will only see a $1830 reduction.

KK