Why don't George Foreman grills have on/off switches?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Between my family, we have 3, and none have on/off switches. Why??

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Because touch yourself at night, you do.

--edit--
actually I would also like to know. My guess is cost.

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
I don't know... but the other annoying thing is that only the higher-end ones have removable grills.

I like them... they work well... but the non-removable grill makes it too much of a pain.

ps. got my parents an upper-end model for christmas, w/removable grills + thermostat, and I'm pretty sure it has an on/off switch, iirc

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
The same reason virtually no small kitchen utility appliance (sandwich maker, waffle iron) has no on/off switch. Because it's retarded.

Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
The same reason virtually no small kitchen utility appliance (sandwich maker, waffle iron) has no on/off switch. Because it's retarded.

My sandwich maker has an on/off switch. :confused: (Actually the only thing that runs on electricity in my kitchen that doesn't have an on/off switch is my ice box.)

edit: note I don't have, nor want a george foreman grill, I prefer actual fire to cook with.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaido
Between my family, we have 3, and none have on/off switches. Why??

hmmm is betterthanforman.com registered yet?

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
they don't need them. putting an on/off switch would just cause them to have to make the grill bigger, which isn't worth it.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Plug it in = On

Unplug it = Off

There's your on/off switch right there

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
i think its a matter of saftey...unplugging it is the only sure way to know its off

if it had a switch im sure there would be a lot more idiot related accidents with the foreman grill which equal more lawsuits...

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
AFAIK, its cause apparently, leaving a kitchen appliance that heats up plugged in all the time is a fire hazard. If the switch fails = big fire.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: BD2003
AFAIK, its cause apparently, leaving a kitchen appliance that heats up plugged in all the time is a fire hazard. If the switch fails = big fire.

That's true of any small appliance - even a curling iron.

Mark

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: lobadobadingdong
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

My sandwich maker has an on/off switch. :confused: (Actually the only thing that runs on electricity in my kitchen that doesn't have an on/off switch is my ice box.)

edit: note I don't have, nor want a george foreman grill, I prefer actual fire to cook with.

I never thought I'd see that day where companies make "Sandwich Makers".