Why don't cell phones these days have simple ringtones?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Why don't cell phones these days have simple ringtones? I got a new phone and all it has is like 2 different crappy beeps and the rest are like actual songs.

I want something I can hear from my pocket and I won't get mixed up with other music playing.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Uh they do? I haven't come across a phone that doesn't have that old phone style ring tone included. And different variations.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Uh they do? I haven't come across a phone that doesn't have that old phone style ring tone included. And different variations.
umm what phones do you have because ive never see one with a build in "bell phone" sounding ring tone

they all sound like alarm clocks

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
umm what phones do you have because ive never see one with a build in "bell phone" sounding ring tone

That's not surprising considering the "bell phone" ring tone hasn't been the standard ringtone on any phone, landline or mobile, for like two decades, if not longer.

Welcome to getting old.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You have a Galaxy S3, right? Download your own ringtone MP3 to the phones ring tone folder and use that.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
AoAYRl3.jpg

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
That's not surprising considering the "bell phone" ring tone hasn't been the standard ringtone on any phone, landline or mobile, for like two decades, if not longer.

Welcome to getting old.

right which goes along with the OP complaining about no simple ringtones anymore

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
When I was in China the Oriental-sounding "donk donk donk, donk donky dinky donk" ringtone that comes with an iPhone was a status symbol beyond any hood ornament ever created.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I think it's still somewhat common in current movies/TV, no?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006

I take that back. My last phone, the LG MyTouch4G had all the ring tones (what a wonderful phone that was). My new LG G3 doesn't have all the rings, even though it has about 30 different tones. But, you can easily make your ringtone customizable to anything you want nowadays, why complain?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Galaxy Note 3: basic bell

assume this is available across the line

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Why don't cell phones these days have simple ringtones? I got a new phone and all it has is like 2 different crappy beeps and the rest are like actual songs.

I want something I can hear from my pocket and I won't get mixed up with other music playing.

put it on vibrate like you should anyways. No one wants to hear your phone ring.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
right which goes along with the OP complaining about no simple ringtones anymore

I don't know what's loaded on non-stock Android phones but stock Android has plenty of simple ringtones included out of the box. There aren't any "bell phone" ones but it's easy enough to find one and use it via apps like Zedge or even just downloading an MP3 via Google search.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't like rings. The sound is too jarring. I use a stock music tone for calls(A Rustling in the Trees), and bird chirps for notifications. If I'm gonna be somewhere loud for awhile, and I think about it, I switch my notification sound to a red tail hawk scream. I don't do that often though cause I always forget to set it back, and that sound makes me jump out of my skin when it's quiet.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I don't know what's loaded on non-stock Android phones but stock Android has plenty of simple ringtones included out of the box. There aren't any "bell phone" ones but it's easy enough to find one and use it via apps like Zedge or even just downloading an MP3 via Google search.

mytinyphone

I hate myself for sharing that. Ringtones should die a slow and painful death. NO ONE NEEDS A RINGTONE! PUT YOUR DAMN PHONE ON VIBRATE!!!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
NO ONE NEEDS A RINGTONE! PUT YOUR DAMN PHONE ON VIBRATE!!!

I need a ringtone. I work on construction sites, and my phone doesn't go in my pocket. It's either on my regular belt, in a jacket pocket, or clipped to a pistol belt. None of those places can I feel a vibrate. If I think I hear the phone, I put my hand on it for vibration confirmation, but I can't feel it by itself.

Reactions: clamum

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
any smartphone can use any audio file as a ringtone

They even have apps specifically designed to find any ringtone you want. Download Zedge and search for a normal ring, I'm sure you'll find a lot.