Why Doesn't V8 Juice Have To Be Refrigerated?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
I like to buy V8 green juice, mainly because it's much cheaper than the Naked green juice.

But I think the Naked green juice taste better, but I've noticed Naked green juice is always refrigerated and says "perishable" on the bottle....but V8 green juice doesn't.

Why?

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
There's actually not enough sodium to prevent halophiles from growing. It's probably the citric and ascorbic acids added as preservatives in v8. Naked juices are pasteurized, but lack antioxidants such as citric/ascorbic acid which might result in the juice discoloring and changing texture faster if not refrigerated.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
there's probably enough sodium in there to kill anything that tries to grow

sometimes i drink V8 to try to get my blood sodium up to a reasonable level, but i'd rather eat chips
How do you know that your sodium is low? I can't imagine an American diets having inadequate sodium.

Reactions: pmv

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
How do you know that your sodium is low? I can't imagine an American diets having inadequate sodium.

i get blood tests to monitor med side effects every few months, and sodium is usually in the low 130s

for a short time i decided to go on a low sodium diet to attempt to help with my blood pressure

but all that did was take my blood sodium down to 125... didn't help with BP at all!

they wouldn't even let me leave the hospital without loading me up with a saline IV

• Wow
Reactions: pete6032

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I remember having a sip of V8 when I was a kid and I thought it tasted like garbage. Proud to say I haven't had a drop since.

In short, V8 is garbage and you don't need to refrigerate garbage.

• Haha
Reactions: KidNiki1