Why doesn't my DVI cable fit into my motherboard DVI port? (A guide, with pics)

Discussion in 'Peripherals' started by VirtualLarry, Mar 28, 2012.

1. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

I'm posting this thread so that future inquiries of this type might be able to figure out what's up.

I also took some pictures.

Someone had an FM1 ITX board with a DVI port, and a DVI monitor, and a DVI cable. And they wouldn't work together.

Well, as it turns out, there are different types of DVI ports and cables.

Here's a good reference site:
    http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

The most common, are DVI-I ports on video cards, and on motherboards that have both VGA, DVI, and HDMI, the DVI port is usually DVI-D.

Well, if you are using a DVI-I cable, it WILL NOT plug into a DVI-D port without an adaptor.

This is because the DVI-I cable has four pins around the "blade" for the analog video signals, and the DVI-D connector on the motherboard lacks those sockets and signals, so you can't plug it in.

You must use a DVI-D cable (more common) to plug into a DVI-D connector on a mobo.
    You can also plug a DVI-D cable into a DVI-I port.

Here's some pictures:
    1) Mobo with DVI-D port. Note no sockets around the "blade" part of the connector.
    [​IMG]

2) Video card with DVI-I port. Note the sockets around the "blade" part of the connector.
    [​IMG]

3) DVI-D single-link cable. Note the lack of pins around the "blade".
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I don't own a DVI-I cable to show you a picture of.

#1 VirtualLarry, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. Rackmountsales

Your port will probably be female thus you'll need to get a male DVI-D cable. If your port is male then get the female DVI-D. A female port will have just the holes, ready to be plugged into. A male port will have just the pins, ready to plug into something - Lol! Getting a little explicit here, if your monitor looks blank after you've connected the cables, you probably need to click something in your display/screen resolution properties window. For example in windows 7, I had to click "Detect" in the screen resolution properties windows, before my extended monitor showed up. I hope this helps.

3. SonicIce

SonicIce Diamond Member

u can prolly break the pins off the cable

4. Modelworks

Modelworks Lifer

Yep, done it several times.

5. videogames101

videogames101 Diamond Member

is it the housing thats interfering?