Why doesn't my DVI cable fit into my motherboard DVI port? (A guide, with pics)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm posting this thread so that future inquiries of this type might be able to figure out what's up.

I also took some pictures.

Someone had an FM1 ITX board with a DVI port, and a DVI monitor, and a DVI cable. And they wouldn't work together.

Well, as it turns out, there are different types of DVI ports and cables.

Here's a good reference site:
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

The most common, are DVI-I ports on video cards, and on motherboards that have both VGA, DVI, and HDMI, the DVI port is usually DVI-D.

Well, if you are using a DVI-I cable, it WILL NOT plug into a DVI-D port without an adaptor.

This is because the DVI-I cable has four pins around the "blade" for the analog video signals, and the DVI-D connector on the motherboard lacks those sockets and signals, so you can't plug it in.

You must use a DVI-D cable (more common) to plug into a DVI-D connector on a mobo.
You can also plug a DVI-D cable into a DVI-I port.

Here's some pictures:
1) Mobo with DVI-D port. Note no sockets around the "blade" part of the connector.
IMG_0827.JPG

2) Video card with DVI-I port. Note the sockets around the "blade" part of the connector.
IMG_0828.JPG

3) DVI-D single-link cable. Note the lack of pins around the "blade".
IMG_0829.JPG

Sorry, I don't own a DVI-I cable to show you a picture of.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2009
www.rackmountsales.com
Your port will probably be female thus you'll need to get a male DVI-D cable. If your port is male then get the female DVI-D. A female port will have just the holes, ready to be plugged into. A male port will have just the pins, ready to plug into something - Lol! Getting a little explicit here, if your monitor looks blank after you've connected the cables, you probably need to click something in your display/screen resolution properties window. For example in windows 7, I had to click "Detect" in the screen resolution properties windows, before my extended monitor showed up. I hope this helps.