Why doesn't America hold the ghetto community to task?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Having a true ethnic African name has an even more devastating correlation with poverty, limited education, life expectancy, and access to healthcare than having a "unique" (aka invented) African American name.

Wow.....

I'm sure you wouldn't say the same for someone from India or China with a "true ethnic" name. :whiste:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Wow.....

I'm sure you wouldn't say the same for someone from India or China with a "true ethnic" name. :whiste:

I would say the exact same thing. It's indisputable. Circumstances are slightly better for someone with an ethnic Indian name though.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
There is a big difference between an ethnic name and a ghetto name. We have plenty of people at my current job who have ethnic names. We have Africans, Indians, Chinese, Arabs, Russians etc... None of those names have ghetto stereotypes. When you get an incoming resume with a ghetto name that has 3 apostrophes and rhymes with a bathroom hygiene product is when the that resume usually goes to the trash.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
There is a big difference between an ethnic name and a ghetto name. We have plenty of people at my current job who have ethnic names. We have Africans, Indians, Chinese, Arabs, Russians etc... None of those names have ghetto stereotypes.

Yup, that's exactly what I was trying to get across earlier...

According to Nebor, having an Ethnic name that is non-ghetto still has negative conntations. You might as well change your name to "Joe" or "Samantha".

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

According to Nebor, having an Ethnic name that is non-ghetto still has negative conntations. You might as well change your name to "Joe" or "Samantha".

There's a big difference between connotations and correlation, Darrelondrasha. You're dumber than you initially appear if you think that someone with an Ethnic African name isn't thousands of times more likely to live in poverty, poor health and poor conditions than someone with a name like "Joe" or "Samantha."

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002

If your name is hard to pronounce or contains an illogical grouping of letters that is normally not found in the English language then I could see a point there. For instance we have a Canadian guy here whose name is Gilles but is pronounced zheel. We had this Chinese fellow working here with a crazy name that had 3 xs and a w. For simplicity sake, he eventually adopted an American name of George and got all of his business cards reprinted.

Otherwise we have plenty of ethnic names that are simple to pronounce like Praveen, Oleg, Hasan etc... and there is no discrimination or ghetto association.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
There's a big difference between connotations and correlation, Darrelondrasha.

Oh yea, that is exactly what my actual name is.

Oh man, what is this, Kindergarten?

You're cool.

If your name is hard to pronounce or contains an illogical grouping of letters that is normally not found in the English language then I could see a point there. For instance we have a Canadian guy here whose name is Gilles but is pronounced zheel. We had this Chinese fellow working here with a crazy name that had 3 xs and a w. For simplicity sake, he eventually adopted an American name of George and got all of his business cards reprinted.

Otherwise we have plenty of ethnic names that are simple to pronounce like Praveen, Oleg, Hasan etc... and there is no discrimination or ghetto association.

I understand that. Some people really do just need to take up a nickname, which they do for simplicity's sake...

There are a few fellow Interns here who take up Nicknames while keeping their Ethnic names.

Last edited:

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
There's a big difference between connotations and correlation, Darrelondrasha. You're dumber than you initially appear if you think that someone with an Ethnic African name isn't thousands of times more likely to live in poverty, poor health and poor conditions than someone with a name like "Joe" or "Samantha."

My point is that naming your kid Darrelondrasha, Shaneyney, Limonjella etc... is the actual problem and indicative of a ghetto upbringing. On the other hand I worked with a guy from Kenya who had a name I forget now, somethign like Motombo and he wasn't ghetto. Funny thing is he actually had a British accent.

Nov 8, 2012
Discussing the roots of problems that are predominantly affecting the black community are only acceptable in light of things that are not their fault; i.e. residual effects of slavery, lack of civil rights, etc.

As soon as you start criticizing that community for issues that are exacerbated by their own culture and values you are a damned racist.

The truth is multiple factors are at play. Most people outside of that community are afraid to criticize lest they be deemed a racist, and so instead they will just white-flight out to the suburbs. Then the inner city problems don't bother them and they don't need to really worry about them.

Quoted for Truth and nothing but the truth.

Take a step inside any major city. Shit ass downtown. Suburbs that keep expanded further and further. Watch it over the course of 20 years, you will see it's like a plague that spreads from the center, forever gravitating more and more outward while the circle does the same.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think once they acknowledged that american ghetto is a culture all hope was lost.
If its a culture then its protected and doesnt have to change or improve itself. and if it cant succeed it gets free handouts from the people who are productive.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think there's something of a chicken and egg question here. If you're living on welfare in the ghetto, you can't give your child a nice home, or a good education, or even a father without losing your check. You CAN give a child a unique name, something that is his/hers alone, something of which to be proud, something which no one can take away. It's ultimately a bad decision, providing both negative feedback to future career opportunities and a false sense of pride (no one's name is a cause for pride), but it's what they can do.

I think once they acknowledged that american ghetto is a culture all hope was lost.
If its a culture then its protected and doesnt have to change or improve itself. and if it cant succeed it gets free handouts from the people who are productive.
That's a good point. Far too often for the sake of political correctness we pretend that cultures are value neutral, that each is inherently as good as the next. That prevents (or at the least greatly discourages) fixing the things that need to be fixed within that culture. But as someone said, we can't really unilaterally change someone else's culture. About all we can do is to provide honest opportunities for those who do want to work their way out of the ghetto, provide positive role models (those Tiger Moms again), and display the benefits of making better decisions.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This is a problem with liberals. Many people have wanted those speaking in ghetto to learn proper English but the liberals don't like this.

Huh? Proper english is what concerns you about the "ghetto culture"????

But I'll play, ok the rest of us want them to learn proper english too, now what?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I know the right will jump all over this and the left will argue against because thats what their "teams" tell them to do but what I am about to say isn't partisan in the least.

One (of many) of the larger problems in the "ghetto community" is our own good intentions. There are multiple generations that quite literally know nothing else but living in the "ghetto" being completely reliant on social programs. A lot of people here are quick to fault them but as I said, they truly don't know anything else. Sure its possible to get out but we humans have a tendency to take the path of least resistance. Doing what you "know" and what you have been around your entire life is, at least to them, the safe road. We have completely removed the need for two parent households and have allowed this to get as bad as it is.

Not long ago they were tearing down some government housing here in NOLA so that they could build new and MUCH nicer mixed income housing. There were dozens upon dozens of people protesting the demolition of some of the most decrepit buildings you have ever in your life seen. I wouldn't let my dog go in there yet they were on the news screaming that it was "her" apartment that she had lived in for 20 or 30 years. Her daughter lived down the hall and her daughters daughter lived one story up, it was her home. For the daughter and granddaughter (who had at least two kids of her own) it was the only home they had ever known. I was initially baffled at the idea that people were protesting us giving them much nicer places to live but when you think about it the way I just wrote it, I guess it makes sense.

Now here comes the hard part, what is the answer? I honestly don't know, I do know what a huge part of the problem is but neither the left nor the right have anything resembling a good answer for the problem. The rights "cut em all off and let them starve" is absurdly retarded and the left does nothing but get defensive (sorta understandable in todays political realm). The bottom line is that homeless and hungry children are flat out unacceptable in the richest nation in the world and hungry adults are not compatible with the civilized society that we all wish to continue enjoying. I could give you countless stories of ways we have actually made it harder to get off of government assistance instead of easier. We will help you all day long if you don't help yourself but when you do start to help yourself we yank everything away often times making it more profitable to simply continue receiving .gov benefits.

We need to somehow concentrate on giving hand ups, making it easier to take those first steps, transition periods for some benefits (like allowing them to keep medicare/medicaid for a year or two after they get employment even if its a few dollars over the cutoff), much more common sense job training programs located in their neighborhoods, etc. I am sure others have some great ideas to achieve this but unfortunately I doubt we can get past the bullshit partisan bickering, finger pointing, name calling and blaming to even have an intelligent conversation about them much less implement them.

It is truly sad too, we are talking about entire generations essentially lost and we won't do a damn thing to actually try and fix it because of partisan bullshit. Both parties should be ashamed but I guarantee that the majority aren't. They are to busy thinking about how to blame it on the other guy or to deflect the blame or whatever. Party before American people and its bullshit.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The ghetto community isn't held to task because of moron liberals who refuse to allow action.

What action exactly?

For such a master debater in real life your posts always lack any real substance. The only thing you are doing is trying to point the finger and fling partisan mud. In return the other side will get defensive and try to prove you wrong or fling mud back. So instead of talking about actual solutions the only thing that gets done is a bunch of mud slinging.

You are part of the fucking problem, stop being a part of the problem and either be a part of the solution or get the fuck out of the way.

Nov 8, 2012
That's a good point. Far too often for the sake of political correctness we pretend that cultures are value neutral, that each is inherently as good as the next. That prevents (or at the least greatly discourages) fixing the things that need to be fixed within that culture. But as someone said, we can't really unilaterally change someone else's culture. About all we can do is to provide honest opportunities for those who do want to work their way out of the ghetto, provide positive role models (those Tiger Moms again), and display the benefits of making better decisions.

I don't think any of you understand the most important part.

You can't fix the problems of a cultural society when you encourage them. You encourage them by paying for them. You encourage them by supporting them. I know there are those that want to get out of the cultural problems, but when you support all of them - you support the worst of them the most. A free check delivered to your doorstep isn't a step in the right direction. Is there really a worse way to fix a problem then that? When you support something wrong in an encouraging way, it will only make the problems grow larger. Why this is too hard to understand for liberal american is simply a /faceplam.

Or do we need to go find some more signs that say "Don't Feed The Birds"?

Having to go to a homeless shelter at least takes SOME initiative.

Sep 7, 2009

You can't fix the problems of a cultural society when you encourage them. You encourage them by paying for them. You encourage them by supporting them. I know there are those that want to get out of the cultural problems, but when you support all of them - you support the worst of them the most. A free check delivered to your doorstep isn't a step in the right direction. Is there really a worse way to fix a problem then that? When you support something wrong in an encouraging way, it will only make the problems grow larger. Why this is too hard to understand for liberal american is simply a /faceplam.

Or do we need to go find some more signs that say "Don't Feed The Birds"?

Having to go to a homeless shelter at least takes SOME initiative.

This can't be fixed as long as half of the voting populace is directly or indirectly benefitting from government handouts.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This can't be fixed as long as half of the voting populace is directly or indirectly benefitting from government handouts.

No, it can't be fixed so long as the two idiot groups we have that make laws each want to go to the extremes.

The problem has been around for quite a while and its only been rather recently that anyone could argue that close to half the population benefits from .gov handouts. Partisan bullshit is the reason it hasn't been fixed and the reason it won't get fixed, period. Both the right and left are equally guilty of the partisan bullshit.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The answer is to allow tens of millions of illegals to invade, thereby taking the same jobs the poorer people will be hired for, thus giving these poorer Americans either no hope/vastly diminished hope of a.) finding a job to support themself and thus begin to raise a family that will see the value of work rather than social dependence and/or b.) get a job that pays wages that haven't been suppressed by illegal invasion labor, thereby making it not worth it to get a job vs getting off social dependence.

It is complete schadenfreude watching the poor lockstep vote for Dems who have total White Guilter/Bleeding Heart syndrome in dealing with the illegal invasion, thereby betraying the poor who defacto vote Dem each and every time. I mean, I know why they do it, so they can keep the scraps gravy train rolling, but you'd think maybe they'd wise up after a decade or three and realize that the Dems are just milking them for their vote and are quite happy to watch them live in poverty in perpetuity.

Oh well...

Chuck

Sep 7, 2009
A lot of this has to do with people who have grown up in ghetto culture being completely satisfied living in what I call upper class poverty.

Only in america can you be in poverty getting full government handouts and still drive around a newer dodge charger.

Only in american can you be in poverty getting full government handouts while you are able to walk around and function just fine.

We make it appealing... And certain ghetto cultures actually BRAG about how much their checks are... It's a "smart" thing in the ghetto culture...

Why work when you can get $2500 / month in checks, then sell another $1500 worth of your pain pills from an undiagnosable back condition? Then tax season rolls around and you get that $5k check on top of it all. You can sit around smoke weed all day, drive a nice chrysler product, and just keep punching that democratic ticket in return for a nice $40k tax free income.

What person would work a minimum wage job and get made fun of when there is so much more to gain from gaming the system.

It's a very sad spiral, that is at this point unfixable without a major revolution.

Sep 7, 2009
And before the race brigadiers come barging in frothing at the mouths... My post applies to ALL races.

This is an issue across the board, from the rural south to heavily populated cities.

Sep 7, 2009
And again, anyone concerned with this sort of thing needs to really analyze the video in my signature.

It truly does show how proud these people are of receiving that all mighty government check... How strongly they feel like they deserve these handouts...

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009

Agreed

Sep 7, 2009
wall them in and let it take care of itself, or nuke it form orbit

And >80% of voting democrats would be gone.

That's why you'll never see this happen... It's in their best interest to perpetuate this type of culture. It's basically a huge democrat vote machine.