Why doesn't America hold the ghetto community to task?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 7, 2009
Your experience with these guys is zilch. I spent close to 2 years between the county jail and prison. Trust me when I tell you those guys aren't going to go legit once the drug money dried up.

Either way it's a pointless argument because drugs will never be legal. We still have a good portion of the country that believes Reefer Madness was all true.

I agree.

These people will always take the easy way out, and doing home invasions at ~$1000 per night is easier than flipping burgers for two weeks straight.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Your experience with these guys is zilch. I spent close to 2 years between the county jail and prison. Trust me when I tell you those guys aren't going to go legit once the drug money dried up.

Either way it's a pointless argument because drugs will never be legal. We still have a good portion of the country that believes Reefer Madness was all true.

I dont care if you spent time with these guys or not. The drug war is directly affecting their outcomes. Eliminating it will produce better results than we have now.

Sep 7, 2009
I dont care if you spent time with these guys or not. The drug war is directly affecting their outcomes. Eliminating it will produce better results than we have now.

The root issue is that it's easier for an uneducated person to make money illegally (whether it's dealing drugs or abusing the welfare system) than it is to make a legal income.

Until we make the illegal thug lifestyle less appealing it will always continue.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The root issue is that it's easier for an uneducated person to make money illegally (whether it's dealing drugs or abusing the welfare system) than it is to make a legal income.

Until we make the illegal thug lifestyle less appealing it will always continue.

Then we should also reduce the minimum wage.

What Genx suggests probably won't reform the existing thugs, but it might help those who have not yet entered the lifestyle.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

We can start by getting rid of the war on drugs. If there is no money in selling drugs it is vastly less appealing.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Because they would only understand 3 words in that sentence.

I've been in that situation, where someone was trying to tell me how all black people are poor because "the man" keeps them down and poor. I tried to explain to them how we'd all be better off if the inner city poor weren't poor, but were actually productive components of the economy and not a social program drain. I lost them during the first sentence. In a system where education isn't valued, what else can you expect?

Had a friend (black woman) at my prior company tell me how she was ridiculed by her 'homies' because she took her education seriously. She was accused of doing things 'the white way'. Her own words. I have another (black woman) friend tell me pretty much the same. Also, she told me how many of the 'African black people' that have moved here look down on their 'American black counterparts' for much the same reason.

There, I'm now a racist for stating what two educated black women have told me.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Had a friend (black woman) at my prior company tell me how she was ridiculed by her 'homies' because she took her education seriously. She was accused of doing things 'the white way'. Her own words. I have another (black woman) friend tell me pretty much the same. Also, she told me how many of the 'African black people' that have moved here look down on their 'American black counterparts' for much the same reason.

I get so tired of reading this one line bullshit. That is extreme and quite rare to be honest. In some of the most hard core ghettos, outside of the drug crowd, blacks are not criticized for trying to do good in school. The schools suck, thats another discussion, but this is not the norm and these statements are the ones why you can't have a real discussion here. You guys take the most extreme scenarios and pin that to be the broad case but its not.

And in most schools, the smart kids are usually picked on or made fun of anyway.

Last edited:

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Take away that huge source of income and they wouldnt be fighting a war over turf, killing people in the process, and destroying the youth by recruiting them into the gang to sell more drugs to up and coming users.

I do not buy into the idea that if the war on drugs was stopped every one of these people would resort to stealing cars or breaking into homes. It is much more difficult to do that than selling drugs. And it pays much less.

The war on drugs has been an abysmal failure. And these ghettos have been directly affected by it.

I support legalizing most drugs but you're honestly out of touch.

Right now a thug has a job selling drugs. You legalize them and corporate America steps in, Walmart, Walgreens, super markets, gas stations. Now our thug is out of work. You really think if we legalize drugs it's going to stay with the thugs?

No, not by a long shot. Now our thugs have already been dealing in other criminal activities such as auto theft, home invasion, bank robbery, prostitution, gun running, etc, etc. You think they're just going to stop doing those things?

The mafia in this country historically doesn't deal drugs - they still have plenty of bad things to do. The thugs won't be different.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I get so tired of reading this one line bullshit. That is extreme and quite rare to be honest. In some of the most hard core ghettos, outside of the drug crowd, blacks are not criticized for trying to do good in school. The schools suck, thats another discussion, but this is not the norm and these statements are the ones why you can't have a real discussion here. You guys take the most extreme scenarios and pin that to be the broad case but its not.

And in most schools, the smart kids are usually picked on or made fun of anyway.

It's an anecdote, just because it's not universally true doesn't mean he wasn't relaying the story accurately or that wasn't the experience of his colleague. You should present your own anecdotes in turn, or a larger dataset that shows his anecdote is not the norm.

Also, saying "the schools suck" is a chicken/egg problem; indeed it may be that students and schools symboitically combine in a negative feedback loop that makes both worse off.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012

It's such a shame that this happens. Even middle class America has some problems with that BS mentality. Little kids often say they like school or they enjoy math. A few years later, they can't say that. The retarded "cool" kids determine that math is gay and science is gay. Enjoying either of them is seen as a bad thing. The boys who liked drama were always called gay. The boys who liked music were called gay. With that in mind, are men or women the majority in college? Women are. A lot of those guys caved to peer pressure and turned away from things they enjoyed just because they didn't want to be called gay anymore. If they were black students, they would probably be called white instead of gay.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

Yes, its extremely annoying when people on this forum pretend like the "acting white" thing is an idea that all blacks/latinos/whatever share in poor neighborhoods. No, that opinion comes from a select few dirtbags who would rather someone be just as pitiful as they are. Just like not all people who wear hoodies are thugs. Just like not all people who listen to Rap and Hip Hop are violent.

My one friend (white guy) was made fun of in school because he was really smart (and nerdy) and he did NOT live in the ghetto. My other friend (white guy) likes Macaroni and Cheese.

Therefore, white people make fun of their own for being smart and like Macaroni and Cheese.

I've been accused of acting white by other blacks, yes. But, in general, being smart in school was not that big of a deal. I went to school with lots of kids who were smart. I've been teased for playing the Piano......yet, for the most part, people are generally fascinated that I play the Piano.

So really, just because your two black friends or whatever told you something doesn't mean you can paint a whole group with a wide brush.

Sep 7, 2009
Nobody has said that ALL people who wear hoodies or thugs, or that ALL people who listen to rap/hip-hop are violent. I have not read this anywhere on the forum.

As usual, you intentionally misrepresent what people say to try and further your agenda.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
And where did I say someone on the forum said all people who wear hoodies are thugs or that all people who listen to Rap/Hip hop are violent? It was just two examples of the "one line" bullshit Classy was talking about. There are people out there that believe that people who wear hoodies are up to no good (kind of like you) and that people who listen to urban music are violent.

And what agenda is that?

It's no surprise that you are even posting in this thread..since, you only seem to be mostly attracted to threads where the subject matter involves an urban environment and/or minority males.

Did they find Jordan Dunn's shotgun yet?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2009

It is not extreme, and it is not rare, nor is it only in the "hardcore" ghetto non-drug crowd.... I mean seriously.... Sometimes I really wonder about your background and if you're qualified to even be discussing these points.

Sep 7, 2009
And where did I say someone on the forum said all people who wear hoodies are thugs or that all people who listen to Rap/Hip hop are violent? It was just two examples of the "one line" bullshit Classy was talking about. There are people out there that believe that people who wear hoodies are up to no good (kind of like you) and that people who listen to urban music are violent.

And what agenda is that?

It's no surprise that you are even posting in this thread..since, you only seem to be mostly attracted to threads where the subject matter involves an urban environment and/or minority males.

Did they find Jordan Dunn's shotgun yet?

It's so sad that you are incapable of even having a discussion... As soon as someone logical with a differing opinion shows up you start trolling with posts just like these.

Go re-read the post you're quoting, your quote, then my post. Maybe it will make better sense the second time around.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
It's so sad that you are incapable of even having a discussion... As soon as someone logical with a differing opinion shows up you start trolling with posts just like these.

Go re-read the post you're quoting, your quote, then my post. Maybe it will make better sense the second time around.

I was having a discussion before you showed up and tried to stir things up once again. You just don't like what I had to say....so you go on this schtick once again about some agenda that I have.

Really? haha.

And what logical differing opinion did you have? You accused me of saying that someone on the forum said all thugs wear hoodies and that they listen to rap music. Its like you have a guilty conscience. I didn't even say your name...yet, you take immediate offense to it.

Telling...

I always look forward to having conversations with other people and then having you show up trying to start another squabble with me. I'm flattered, really... :wub:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

So let's get you on the record for upcoming future conversations. Define the following. Your definition, not someone else's...

ghetto
thug

Sep 7, 2009
So let's get you on the record for upcoming future conversations. Define the following. Your definition, not someone else's...

ghetto
thug

The definitions can vary depending on context.

Ghetto - low income area, predominantly supported via welfare or illegal means.

Thug - one who jumps at any opportunity to steal, harm, or 'cheat' for their own benefit and at the expense of others. General disregard for laws and authority, and to normal and acceptable societal expectations. Propensity to be violent even when faced with other ways to deal with a problem.

Sep 7, 2009
I always look forward to having conversations with other people and then having you show up trying to start another squabble with me. I'm flattered, really... :wub:

IE you hate having me around to point out your blatant bullshit and intentionally borderlined racism.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The definitions can vary depending on context.

Ghetto - low income area, predominantly supported via welfare or illegal means.

Thug - one who jumps at any opportunity to steal, harm, or 'cheat' for their own benefit and at the expense of others. General disregard for laws and authority, and to normal and acceptable societal expectations. Propensity to be violent even when faced with other ways to deal with a problem

So, the only difference between your definition of a Ghetto and the "Too Big To Fail" Banks is one word...low vs high. :whiste:

And the only difference in Thug is substitute "to start lawsuits" for "to be violent"

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So, the only difference between your definition of a Ghetto and the "Too Big To Fail" Banks is one word...low. :whiste:

Yeah, banks and the ghetto are exactly the same; with the minor exceptions of being employed, paying taxes, complying with laws and regulations, and being literate. Exactly the same.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Yeah, banks and the ghetto are exactly the same; with the minor exceptions of being employed, paying taxes, complying with laws and regulations, and being literate. Exactly the same.

The "Too Big To Fail" Banks followed the laws and regulations?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The "Too Big To Fail" Banks followed the laws and regulations?

If you can even name more than a single banking law or registration, much less cite which ones they broke and in what manner, I'll be happy to discuss this with you. But something tells me you're simply another angry taxpayer that has no grasp over the legal or regulatory environment and simply wants "someone to pay" for the 2008 and later crises.

Sep 7, 2009
Don't let our 4-5 liberal extremists derail the thread.... This is a common tactic when they can't use logic and reason to debate a topic.