Why does Walmart Brand milk taste so disgusting?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Shawn
Every time I've gotten it, it has been really bad even when it's fresh. It's not a spoiled taste, it's just disgusting. Has anyone else noticed that? I can't imagine why it would taste that bad. I always get the more expensive milk when I go there now.

It's all in your head. WalMart brand milk IS THE SAME as the milk right next to it on the shelf.

My brother works at Meadow Gold. If it's in the plastic bottle it's all the same milk (non-organic, etc). They just slap a different label on.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
no difference I notice either. We get skim from either Walmart, sams, or Pick n Save (local grocery store). Walmart and Sams are always cheaper but if PnS has it on sale, it's only about $.20 more and it's closer to home.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I noticed that the milk at my local walgreens doesn't even last until the expire date usually. But it tastes the same. I guess they don't keep it cool enough or something. One week it lasted several days after the expire date and we thought the milk gods had blessed us.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
1. it sucks because it says "W A L M A R T" o nthe receipt

2. I gotta say soy milk is growing on me....not a replacement for milk in the least (they taste very different) but defintiely a tasty alternative. Doesn't feel as heavy going down either.

TheDro

Dec 14, 2006
Originally posted by: dbk
I only drink skim, so they all taste like water to me.

You should get Horizon Organic fat free milk, doesn't taste watery at all, its just like regular milk. It also comes in those 1 gallon cartons so light doesn't affect the vitamins in the milk.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I find that any milk in a the plastic jugs tastes odd, like it's slightly spoiled or curdled. I also don't like bottled water. It just tastes funny, as if it's got some extra chemical in it.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
It comes off the same truck as most of the other milk. I've stocked way too many cases of milk in my retail days.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Kanalua
Originally posted by: Shawn
Every time I've gotten it, it has been really bad even when it's fresh. It's not a spoiled taste, it's just disgusting. Has anyone else noticed that? I can't imagine why it would taste that bad. I always get the more expensive milk when I go there now.

It's all in your head. WalMart brand milk IS THE SAME as the milk right next to it on the shelf.

My brother works at Meadow Gold. If it's in the plastic bottle it's all the same milk (non-organic, etc). They just slap a different label on.

yeah i thought once milk is gathered from the farms it taken to a central pastrizing place then bottled. wich it is then shiped out to stores.

So it really wouldnt matter what brand you get they are all made at the same place.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Might be that it's been stored near something rotten (produce, garbage, whatever). The smell can permeate the plastic and make the milk taste gross.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I am not being an attention whore, but my Mom just brought home some Wal-Mart milk for dinner and everyone at the table said it was gross and old. lol who would of thought.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: TheDro
Originally posted by: dbk
I only drink skim, so they all taste like water to me.

You should get Horizon Organic fat free milk, doesn't taste watery at all, its just like regular milk. It also comes in those 1 gallon cartons so light doesn't affect the vitamins in the milk.

I don't really mind the water like taste. I use it mostly for baking and protein shakes. I rarely drink just the milk. Does eating cereal count? Aren't organic ones pretty expensive as well? Thanks for the heads up, though.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Ya know those really huge nasty women you see shopping there with a brood of misbehaving minions hanging from the shopping cart?

Well, how do you think they pay for their shopping?

Being "preggers" constantly (thus lactating), they just pay up in milk ;)

Steelyman

Jun 12, 2021
Walmart milk made me sick the very first time I drank it 2+ years ago. It smelled and tasted bad as soon as I got it home. I buy milk at another supermarket with no problems. Rather than throw any dairy product away, I think they recycle the soured dairy into the fresh to stretch it out and maximize profit. I will never buy Great Value milk again. It's rancid.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
While I rarely buy any Walmart branded product, the last time I had none-expired Walmart milk it was exactly the same as any other milk I've tasted. (sorry to spoil the fun)

Reactions: bbhaag

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
While I rarely buy any Walmart branded product, the last time I had none-expired Walmart milk it was exactly the same as any other milk I've tasted. (sorry to spoil the fun)
Yeah same here. Never had an issue with GV milk or any GV product really. The Sams Choice soda though....fuck that shit.

Reactions: Captante