Why does Vista see my DVD drive as only a CD drive?

balane

Dec 15, 2006
This DVD drive unit worked just fine when I was running XP on this computer. (Not the one in my sig, an alternate machine.) In fact I used this very drive to install Vista off of the Vista Home Premium 32 bit DVD itself. But now that I have Vista installed it gives me an error any time I try to use a DVD. The error message is;

Windows cannot access this disc
The disc might be corrupt. Make sure that the disc uses
a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is unformatted,
you need to format it before using it.

It does this with every single DVD I try, these are known good ones that work fine in other computers.

Any suggestions for me?

If you need any more info that would be pertinent please ask.

Thanks.

(PS. Compact Disks work just fine.)

balane

Dec 15, 2006
I tried those fixes but it doesn't seem to work/apply to me. Those reg fixes seem to be for people who have problems with both the CD/DVD parts of their drive not functioning. I haven't seen one where the CD reader works but not the DVD. (On the same drive.) I also went to the subkey in the registry and I have neither an upper or a lower filter to delete, at least not that I can see after closely following the directions.

Thanks for your post.

balane

Dec 15, 2006
Put in latest firmware I could find and still the same thing. I'm totally stumped.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Creative version of the OEM Panasonic Matshita SR-8586. Considering DVD Burners are so cheap now...just get a $20 DVD Burner if it doesn't work. That drive probably does not have proper Vista drivers and is not being recognized as DVD capable.

eddiebravo

Nov 29, 2005
i am having the same problem with windows xp. i cant deal with the frustration anymore so i just went out and bought a new dvd drive. im going to install it in a few mins so hopefully that will fix the problem