Why does vista not like my network port?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Ive done this before and i totally forgot about it, made a mental note to never ever again install the update for the nvidia network port through windows update. But i forgot and installed it, now i cant get the network port working again, i had to disable it in the BIOS as system devices didnt do the job. Im currently using a plug in PCI network card. Also whenever i tried to remove the old driver for the nvidia port or install a new one it wouldnt do it, it would either lock up or just fail to do anything at all. Whats the problem? How can i make it work again?

For the record it worked fine before i decided to install this thing from windows update. My specs are as follows:

Opteron 170
Abit AN-8 32X
4GB DDR1 PC3200
7900GTO 512mb
2x 160GB hdd
some dfi network card

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Try System Restore to a day before you installed the Updated Driver
And as you pointed out, don't trust MS for driver updates ... only for
OS and their own programs

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I ditched system restore because it was hogging about 20-30 GB of space and i couldnt find an option for it to only hog about 1-2GB of space instead, so thats a no go.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Don't know what else to tell you. A-bit should have sent you a cd with all your drivers on it
when you bought the motherboard. If not, then you need to go ot A-Bit and download the
drivers .. Start with the chipset. I think your board, has an Nvidia Gigabit NIC .. but I can't seem
to find those drivers at Nvidia

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Soviet
I ditched system restore because it was hogging about 20-30 GB of space and i couldnt find an option for it to only hog about 1-2GB of space instead, so thats a no go.

Remember when I suggested people dont turn off system restore if they don't know how to fix their machines, this is exactly why.

Try #2, delete the card in device manager and select the option to delete the drivers. Then let windows redetect it.

Bill

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Invest in Acronis True Image Home, and make a scheduled daily image to a seperate disk. Beats system restore anytime.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: bsobel
Originally posted by: Soviet

Remember when I suggested people dont turn off system restore if they don't know how to fix their machines, this is exactly why.

Try #2, delete the card in device manager and select the option to delete the drivers. Then let windows redetect it.

Bill

I fixed this before without system restore, i simply dont remember how and no longer have the urgency due to having a second netowork port which wasent available the first time round.

Windows locks up when i try that, ctrl alt del only partially works because the mouse freezes after a while, yet the keyboard still responds, but very very slowly.