Question Why does this damn card look so cute to me?

Jul 27, 2020
1638667347201.png
What's wrong with me? Why can't I stop thinking of this pathetic anemic card?

Also,

1638667446030.png

Tiny sleek 3D cards are sexy.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I do miss the more svelte designs of yesteryear rather than the eatx triple slot behemoths that pass for most cards nowadays.

Wish more manufacturers would focus on quality cooling in a small form factor (Always loved Zotac for that) rather than just slapping three fans and a billion pipes (with only two actually making contact with the die) on every chip that comes their way.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
Thin and sleek but capable cards? Latest quadros are somewhat appealing looks wise:

1638724992786.png

A4000, not too shabby for compact builds, low power and blower design helps cooling the case.

Then there's the little ones at half height but those are a bit anemic performance wise for anything above 900/1080p low/medium settings.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Well then prepare to be disappointed as the practical death of Moore's Law means you need higher TDP for higher performance. They are talking much higher performance for next gen cards but also much higher TDPs. The PCIe 5.0 connector allows for something like close to 650W just for the connector.

The HPC server community is anticipating 500W plus soon and 1000W cards are on the horizon. Expect gaming GPUs to follow somewhat. That means thicker heatsinks and beefier fans. Maybe 4 slot cards are the future? Heck no SLI and XFire but your brand spanking new card performs like 2 cards and uses enough space and power for two cards.

Wish more manufacturers would focus on quality cooling in a small form factor (Always loved Zotac for that) rather than just slapping three fans and a billion pipes (with only two actually making contact with the die) on every chip that comes their way.

Such little details add significant cost and TTM(Time to Market). People often complain about their stock GPUs coming with thick thermal paste. Well that's likely thermal pads which are easy and quick to apply. Sure you can have people apply precise amount of thermal paste but doing that with millions of cards with varying heights increase cost.

Silicon chips are rated for 100C anyway and engineered for 80C+ constant operation so they likely don't see that as an advantage.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The HPC server community is anticipating 500W plus soon and 1000W cards are on the horizon. Expect gaming GPUs to follow somewhat. That means thicker heatsinks and beefier fans. Maybe 4 slot cards are the future?

Those cards going to come with their own substation to run them?

Maybe the best way to get around mining farms is cards that draw so much juice that having more than one will cause a brown out.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Those cards going to come with their own substation to run them?

Maybe the best way to get around mining farms is cards that draw so much juice that having more than one will cause a brown out.

LOL.

I bet if by tomorrow we replaced every power plant with a Fusion one that generates 1000x more power, in less than 10 years it'll be close to being overloaded again.

What's wrong with me? Why can't I stop thinking of this pathetic anemic card?

Also,

Tiny sleek 3D cards are sexy.

1050 Ti is a massive performance card in this day and age where no one can get anything other than 1030s.

Reactions: dvsv

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Thin and sleek but capable cards? Latest quadros are somewhat appealing looks wise:

View attachment 53855

A4000, not too shabby for compact builds, low power and blower design helps cooling the case.

Then there's the little ones at half height but those are a bit anemic performance wise for anything above 900/1080p low/medium settings.

God forbit you need to be within 20ft of one while its running. Not an issue for use in a datacenter. But you do NOT want one in your workstation.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
God forbit you need to be within 20ft of one while its running. Not an issue for use in a datacenter. But you do NOT want one in your workstation.
Well it's only 1 slot wide... guess there might be some nice water cooling solution that fits in the extra space left ;-)
Or totally passive cooler for extra silence? 140W or such don't sound too much to handle vs the current monster watt GPUs.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I bet if by tomorrow we replaced every power plant with a Fusion one that generates 1000x more power, in less than 10 years it'll be close to being overloaded again.

I don't doubt it. It's not different from roads where building more lanes just leads to even more traffic as opposed to alleviating existing traffic.

Build it and they will come.

Reactions: JPB