Why does this cable work???

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by MadScientist, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MadScientist

MadScientist Platinum Member

I am giving my old Canon camera to my son. He still has an old 27" CRT TV, that has composite but no HDMI connections. The camera came with a stereo AV cable that has a mini HDMI connector on one end and RCA composite; 2 stereo audio, 1 video, connectors on the other. http://www.adorama.com/ICAAVCDC400S.html

I nor he has tried it out yet, but since it came with the camera I'm assuming it works. But without a DAC how????

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - cable work Forum Date
    HDMI Cable 1.4a does not work with pc but works on laptop Audio/Video & Home Theater Jun 7, 2012
    Will DVD Recorder with Line-In Recording work with cable box? Audio/Video & Home Theater Nov 6, 2011
    HDMI 1.4, will HDMI 1.3B cables work? Audio/Video & Home Theater May 17, 2011
    How would the coax wiring work? Sat TV (Dish) + Cable Internet? Audio/Video & Home Theater Dec 4, 2009
    Im fed up with this BS, im buying an optical cable! Tell me what i need and if it will work please. Audio/Video & Home Theater Sep 7, 2007

3. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

err, I doubt it is a hdmi end.

4. Zorander

Zorander Golden Member

Doubt the camera sends out a digital signal (HDMI). It's probably sending out analog signals (composite) out of the mini-HDMI plug to the composite RCA ends. There are more than enough pins in the mini-HDMI plug to accomodate a composite video+audio signal.

5. Matt1970

Matt1970 Lifer

It's more than likely this.

6. MadScientist

This was my first thought, but there is also an optional cable you can use, a mini HDMI to an HDMI to hook the camera up from the same port on the camera to an HD TV. See page 38 of manual http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300004757/01/PSSX230HS_SX220HS_CUG_EN.pdf

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/516706-REG/Canon_2384B001_HTC_100_HDMI_Male_to.html

Of course you can get this same cable from Monoprice for $3.20.

So does the camera put out an analog signal when the composite cable is hooked up and then somehow switch to a digital signal when the HDMI cable is hooked up???

7. Zorander

Zorander Golden Member

I'm no expert on this but my next guess is the camera can detect if it is connected to a HDMI-capable or analog-only device (by checking for an open/closed circuit on one of its pin pairs, for example).

8. MadScientist

This sounds plausible. It has to be the camera detecting which signal to put out. You can not do it with just a cable; as these unhappy, scammed, customers at Amazon will attest to. http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-Cable-1-8m/dp/B002ZUI68G/ref=pd_sim_e_7

9. Railgun

Railgun Golden Member

That`s not mini HDMI. That`s a mini USB connection.

10. MadScientist

11. Railgun

Railgun Golden Member

I'm referring to the cable you linked in the op.

12. MadScientist

Question answered. You are absolutely correct. I just spoke with my son who received the camera in the mail yesterday. The cable in my OP has a mini usb male connector that connects to the mini usb interface connector.

Bad assumption on my part that it was a mini HDMI.

13. Zorander

Zorander Golden Member

I found this info in this thread which you may find interesting. It does not matter whether the cable is mini-HDMI or -USB. Both have enough pins to output composite audio+video signals.

From what I gathered, all RCA plugs share one common ground, with the positive end of each of the three plugs connected on one of the pins on the other end (that's 4 pins used out of 5 available - I'm guessing the remaining pin is used for the above-mentioned detection purpose). The cable manufacturer either knows the pin layout of the device or there is a standard layout for this kind of cable.

14. MadScientist

Thanks for the info. My son's guess is that it's the camera's firmware that makes it possible to use the same mini USB port for the mini USB/USB cable to download pics/movies to your PC and also connect the camera to a TV with the mini USB/RCA composite cable.