Why does the president have to be christian?

Feb 16, 2005
What logical/legal justification is there? It seems to be an unwritten law, but why. After reading the article about bachmann and cain dodging the question on romney being mormon or not, I thought, who gives a flying fuck?

There is absolutely no valid, legal or logical justification for the president to be christian. Granted we (the usa) are a christian country by default, and the likelihood of a president to be christian makes sense, but if you are not, you're fucked.

I consider any faith that believes in jesus as the savior or son of god to be christian, so toss in catholics too. I would love to see an atheist as a president, no religious dogma attached to every decision, no church or reverend or pope or whatever to kowtow to.

So, wise folks of P&N, what logical/legal/valid reason is there for the president of the us to be christian/catholic/baptist/etc...

What would be so horrible about a jewish president? or a hindu? if they adhere to the constitution, meet all the LEGAL credentials, what is the big deal?

(and for the record, us atheists/agnostics/secular folks are the 3rd biggest religious (or non-religious) group behind christians and islam. We're number 3! We're number 3! We're number 3!)

Let the spewing of drivel begin. Oh yea, the link
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/09/bachmann-cain-duck-question-on-romneys-faith/

chihlidog

Apr 12, 2011
Dont I know you from HC?

Anyway, it's simply what people are familiar with. I've said many occasions that I'd vote for someone regardless of religion if I agreed with hem and felt they were of strong character. I'm a rather outspoken conservative Christian myself, but I wouldnt let that affect my vote. I think people on the whole, however, just want something they already know.

boochi

May 21, 2011
Are you sure that Obama does not have a magic carpet stashed under his bed?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What logical/legal justification is there? It seems to be an unwritten law, but why. After reading the article about bachmann and cain dodging the question on romney being mormon or not, I thought, who gives a flying fuck?

There is absolutely no valid, legal or logical justification for the president to be christian. Granted we (the usa) are a christian country by default, and the likelihood of a president to be christian makes sense, but if you are not, you're fucked.

I consider any faith that believes in jesus as the savior or son of god to be christian, so toss in catholics too. I would love to see an atheist as a president, no religious dogma attached to every decision, no church or reverend or pope or whatever to kowtow to.

So, wise folks of P&N, what logical/legal/valid reason is there for the president of the us to be christian/catholic/baptist/etc...

What would be so horrible about a jewish president? or a hindu? if they adhere to the constitution, meet all the LEGAL credentials, what is the big deal?

(and for the record, us atheists/agnostics/secular folks are the 3rd biggest religious (or non-religious) group behind christians and islam. We're number 3! We're number 3! We're number 3!)

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/09/bachmann-cain-duck-question-on-romneys-faith/

People want a person who is aligned with them from a moral and values standpoint. Most of this country is christian, thus our presidents will be christian.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've never seen anyone claim there's any kind of legal requirement that a president be of any particular faith or denomination. Anyone who does is an idiot.

Beyond the legal requirements, there are no hard 'requirements', there are only political voter preferences. The reality is that most people (and certainly among voters) prefer someone who is similar to the things they know and are comfortable with. Since most of the country is Christian, that means people are most likely to vote for a Christian.

I don't really care if someone is highly religious or not, but I want someone who will appreciate the culture, traditions, values and celebrations most of the people of this country hold dear. Those are important parts of what makes this country what it is, and I want to make sure our leaders fight to keep those.

Feb 16, 2005

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Just look at the outrage when a Congressman was sworn into office with a Quran.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You don't get into the Republican presidential nominee club unless you're socially conservative. That almost always means you're a Christian conservative.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What is so great about being a christian? Has it stopped wars? Has it prevented corruption? Do presidents seem to be very religious or adhere to religious principles? It is all about this us-them mentality. Mormons and other groups of religious people have been prosecuted and died at the hands of mobs and other religious terrorists who wanted to exterminate them. Even the government is afraid of religious groups, because they fear that some religious group will have such power that they will get all their members to vote for just their leaders. In reality, it is more likely that they will vote for people they feel are righteous, and really care about the people. What politicians in government frear the most is the absence of corruption, and complete honesty.

Feb 16, 2005
Well it seems to be a card played often and boldly. Showing the president going to church, etc.

Here's the part that pisses me off the most, if someone is NOT christian, somehow they are anti-american, which makes as much sense as if someone didn't like broccoli they are an anti-semite.

correlation != causation.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
More Wars have been fought over Religion than anything else...Religion is a crock of shit but it seems that in this country especially for the Evangelical Right it seems to be Mandatory.

blinblue

Jul 7, 2006
Also, not only is it because the majority of the voters are Christian, but assuming a random sampling for presidential candidates, they too would be majority Christian (of course it's not a random sample, but it should not be surprising that most candidates are Christian when the majority of people in the US are too).

So here's a question, how many presidents do you think made decisions based solely (or mostly) from their faith?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Also, not only is it because the majority of the voters are Christian, but assuming a random sampling for presidential candidates, they too would be majority Christian (of course it's not a random sample, but it should not be surprising that most candidates are Christian when the majority of people in the US are too).

So here's a question, how many presidents do you think made decisions based solely (or mostly) from their faith?

Depends which President we are talking about but it would be VERY disturbing to me if they based any decision on Faith but of course I object that you need Religion to have Morality also.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
None of these recent presidents were really religious, including the current one. Its mainly just to grab votes in certain regions of US, since atheists don't really care. The higher up in the political chain you are, the more amoral you are. Bush II has way too much blood on his hand to be considered even remotely religious.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007

Stopped reading when I realized that you didn't even know what faiths are encompassed by Christianity.

Of course Catholics are Christian.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
He/She doesn't.

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A6.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Six_of_the_United_States_Constitution

U.S. Constitution: Article 6 - Debts, Supremacy, Oaths

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
More Wars have been fought over Religion than anything else...Religion is a crock of shit but it seems that in this country especially for the Evangelical Right it seems to be Mandatory.

Most wars are fought over resources. You have gold, I want gold, I invade and steal your gold. The worst war we have ever fought was done so over resources for fanatatical man made godless ideologies.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
He/She doesn't.

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A6.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Six_of_the_United_States_Constitution

U.S. Constitution: Article 6 - Debts, Supremacy, Oaths

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Silly, he doesn't mean as a literal qualification similar to the president having to be 35 years-old or older. :p

He's trying to ask why it seems that a non-christian candidate is pretty much not electable. Christianity is the majority religion in the United States, and in most cases, I think people are unable to look at politics in an unbiased state (in regard to religion). They want someone that is christian, because that person will fight to uphold their values.

That actually reminds me of something that they did back when I went to church. If a teenager graduated from high school and decided to go to a secular college, they would pray for them to make sure they were not "influenced by the unclean." It almost makes me think that they believe people are incapable of making good decisions if they aren't "influenced by God."

Last edited:

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Silly, he doesn't mean as a literal qualification similar to the president having to be 35 years-old or older. :p

He's trying to ask why it seems that a non-christian candidate is pretty much not electable. Christian is the majority religion in the United States, and in most cases, I think people are unable to look at politics in an unbiased state (in regard to religion). They want someone that is christian, because that person will fight to uphold their values.

That actually reminds me of something that they did back when I went to church. If a teenager graduated from high school and decided to go to a secular college, they would pray for them to make sure they were not "influenced by the unclean." It almost makes me think that they believe people are incapable of making good decisions if they aren't "influenced by God."

Right. I'm with ya. I think there is a general fear that a secular candidate will not make decisions based on Christian guidelines (whatever those are). I have become more and more disenchanted by the way religion has influenced my friends' behaviors over the years, and frankly I'd welcome a secular president.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Right. I'm with ya. I think there is a general fear that a secular candidate will not make decisions based on Christian guidelines (whatever those are). I have become more and more disenchanted by the way religion has influenced my friends' behaviors over the years, and frankly I'd welcome a secular president.

You should see what it's like when my mother tries to talk to me about politics. The last time I went back to New York, I got to hear about her opinions on the gay marriage "debacle" that was going on. I flat out told her, "I'm sorry, but your religious viewpoint has no place in law. You simply cannot provide an actual reason against the law." All she ended up doing was parroting, "it's against The Bible."

The mentality among those sorts of people gets even worse. You tend to hear people throw around the term "Anti-Christ" a lot and think some secular president will mark the coming of the end times, institute crap like "the mark of the beast", etc. If there is a better case of instituting fear mongering, I'm not sure that I know what it is.

That actually reminds me of a clip that they showed on The Daily Show. It showed Obama giving a speech at some dinner party/rally thing, and some guy kept yelling, "Jesus Christ is the lord!" (to which Obama would just affirm) and finished him off with a rather scathing, "You are the Anti-Christ!" o_O