Why does the GOP condone its association with racism?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You're rather confused.

Cloture is invoked to try to end filibuster. The Republican Party has set records in the last few years for excessive uses of filibuster, even over things that normally never were filibustered before. That's what the chart shows.

Stopping the other party from doing things your party disagrees with is not insanity. Try again, but please, please stop bringing your failure with it.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Being white is not an indicator of insanity.

I never said it was.

But the rapid divergence between the percentage of the electorate that is white and the percentage of GOP voters that are white is one indicator that voters do notice the inherent racism of many in the party.

You know, like the thread title says?

As an aside -- you're really not very good at this whole "debate" thing, hmm? I guess that's why you resort to childish tactics like deliberately trying to misrepresent what your opponents say.

Stopping the other party from doing things your party disagrees with is not insanity.

Again, didn't say that it was. It's another indicator of the extremism of your party.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I'm not surprised that you're employing the cheap and dishonest tactic of misstating my positions, given your posting history.

You are the one who talked about giving tax cuts to the wealthy and lying to get us into wars...both things Obama did. You then even said you were against Obama's war in Libya and Iraq. Now you claim I am misstating your position.

So which is it, are you against these things Obama did or not? Do you support him or not?

But I'm glad that you've admitted that the Libyan War was a minor thing and the Iraq War was a disaster. It shows again that you're intellectually dishonest, and close to being the first entry in my ignore list here.

Why would agreeing with you mean I am being dishonest, unless you are also being dishonest. I do have to correct you, the Iraq WAR was well done, it was the nation building afterwards which was a disaster. I understand most people lump them together, though.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
So which is it, are you against these things Obama did or not? Do you support him or not?

I stated my positions quite clearly and am not interested in your semantic games. I support some of what Obama has done, and oppose some of what Obama has done.

I do have to correct you, the Iraq WAR was well done, it was the nation building afterwards which was a disaster. I understand most people lump them together, though.

You're not correcting me, you're correcting yourself.

And people lump them together for the obvious reason that they are inseparable.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Sure you did:

...the dems are FAR nuttier than the reps.

Can you show these objective measures?

Already did, above. I guess you didn't really want to see them.

Here's more.

BTN_graphic1230.jpg

Source.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
You're getting boring. I'm off to work in the garden.

Please do keep wishing post #83 away. I know folks like you are big believers in magical thinking.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I stated my positions quite clearly and am not interested in your semantic games. I support some of what Obama has done, and oppose some of what Obama has done.

So you dislike the reps for doing the same thing the dems have done, but you like the dems.

And people lump them together for the obvious reason that they are inseparable.

If they were inseperable, we would be nation building in Libya right now. Again, you bring the fail.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Can you show these objective measures?

To be fair, I was making fun of him, but I am interested in seeing these objective measures.

The "objective measure" of taking off partisan blinders.

Consider the US HoR; and consider that there are some extremely liberal and extremely conservative congressional districts across America. Guess who they elect: nutcases.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Stopping the other party from doing things your party disagrees with is not insanity. Try again, but please, please stop bringing your failure with it.

But using the filibuster at a record level, refusing to compromise, being more extreme than any congressional party in history, and being completely partisan without regard to the well being of the nation might just be insanity. And that's the current GOP. I don't even know why I felt the need to argue with you, you're ALWAYS wrong, you're PROVEN wrong a good 90% of the time, and you NEVER listen.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, actually, they aren't.

"A pox on both their houses" may feel satisfying, but it's a false equivalence.

No it's not, but thanks for playing. Democrats actually seem to believe that the Republican party is overtly racist. That's just crazy talk.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Democrats actually seem to believe that the Republican party is overtly racist.

The whole party? No.

A good chunk of the party? Absolutely.

If you were following the primaries, you would have seen the polls from the south where mind-boggling percentages of southern conservatives to this day oppose interracial marriage. I can dig them up if you need me to.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
No it's not, but thanks for playing. Democrats actually seem to believe that the Republican party is overtly racist. That's just crazy talk.

I'd say that most republican's are not racist but if a bigot will vote for a republican then they'll take the vote. Any politician will actually.

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
BobbyJindal.jpg

Gov. Bobby Jindal, Louisiana

220px-Marco_Rubio,_Official_Portrait,_112th_Congress.jpg

Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida

Racism not found, but thanks for playing and trying to demonize a political party. By the way, I'm not a Republican if you choose to attack me as such.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
You are confused, slavery is not a job. Jobs pay, slavery does not. You like failing, don't you?

Commenting about failing when you're failing miserably?
Not every economic transaction is in USD. Slaves are typically granted a subsistence wage as slaves are a valuable resource and it makes economic sense to keep them alive. There have been exceptions, like the Nazis working Jewish prisoners to death, but that wasn't so much "slavery" as "efficient use of the condemned." Slavery as a sustainable economic system does require one to keep the slaves alive, so allowance for the slaves' subsistence must be made.
It is a job -- just one in an environment with a cunning human predator. The change in environment doesn't fundamentally change anything.

Think before you post. Maybe then you won't be so boring.

Last edited:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Racism not found...

No?

Here, let me help you out:

Of some 600 likely Republican primary voters asked, 60 percent of those responding in Alabama said they do not believe in evolution, and 21 percent from the same state said they feel interracial marriage should be illegal.

In Mississippi, a reported 29 percent said interracial couples should not be legally permitted to marry, and 66 percent do not believe in evolution.

29%. In 2012.

Lots more where that came from.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The "objective measure" of taking off partisan blinders.

Consider the US HoR; and consider that there are some extremely liberal and extremely conservative congressional districts across America. Guess who they elect: nutcases.

You did not claim SUBJECTIVE, you claimed OBJECTIVE. I want to see your data, not your feelings.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
But using the filibuster at a record level, refusing to compromise, being more extreme than any congressional party in history, and being completely partisan without regard to the well being of the nation might just be insanity. And that's the current GOP. I don't even know why I felt the need to argue with you, you're ALWAYS wrong, you're PROVEN wrong a good 90% of the time, and you NEVER listen.

Stopping the insanity of the DNC does not make the GOP insane. I don't even know why I felt the need to argue with you, you're ALWAYS wrong, you're PROVEN wrong a good 90% of the time, and you NEVER listen.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Commenting about failing when you're failing miserably?
Not every economic transaction is in USD. Slaves are typically granted a subsistence wage as slaves are a valuable resource and it makes economic sense to keep them alive. There have been exceptions, like the Nazis working Jewish prisoners to death, but that wasn't so much "slavery" as "efficient use of the condemned." Slavery as a sustainable economic system does require one to keep the slaves alive, so allowance for the slaves' subsistence must be made.
It is a job -- just one in an environment with a cunning human predator. The change in environment doesn't fundamentally change anything.

Think before you post. Maybe then you won't be so boring.

Wait, you think putting someone into slavery is the same as them getting a job? You want ME to think before I post and you post that drivel? Seriuosly?

Wow, I did not know there was actually anyone alive in the US who felt that slavery is the same as getting a job. Apparently, there is at least one. Your super intellect failed you again, and now not only is Celestia crying, but Luna as wel. They mourn that people will relate you to them and that makes them sad.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Stopping the insanity of the DNC does not make the GOP insane.

What about when the D's aren't insane, and just want single-payer healthcare and it's blocked only by R filibuster?

Or is that evidence of their mental health status in your estimation?

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
No?

Here, let me help you out:

29%. In 2012.

Lots more where that came from.

29% is a minority and I'm sure that number is dropping. Plus, you can not judge a whole political party by a small group of ignorant people. Both politicians I posted were minorities elected in southern states and I feel are an example of the modern thinking of a majority of the Republican party. I forgot that liberals liked using sweeping generalizations though.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
What about when the D's aren't insane, and just want single-payer healthcare and it's blocked only by R filibuster?

Or is that evidence of their mental health status in your estimation?

Fed Gov single payer healthcare is an insane thing to want.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Fed Gov single payer healthcare is an insane thing to want.

Depending on exactly where you fit into the scheme of things that could be true or not true.

IOW, it is all about who benefits from that program and that depends on their own situation. Not everyone views it from a pure economical sense nor does everyone know the plan well enough to form an opinion.

Generally, however, I'd say a fall back health care fiasco like Medi this or that would be better.... Find a way to cover everyone with basic income tested health care but allow everyone their choices.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
29% is a minority and I'm sure that number is dropping.

You have no idea if it is dropping or not.

And 29% is a staggeringly high number for this day and age.

Plus, you can not judge a whole political party by a small group of ignorant people.

Which is why I didn't. I said: "The whole party? No. A good chunk of the party? Absolutely."

Both politicians I posted were minorities elected in southern states and I feel are an example of the modern thinking of a majority of the Republican party. I forgot that liberals liked using sweeping generalizations though.

The statistics I posted show a pretty widespread trend of racism in your party. The election of a couple of governors shows.. pretty much nothing. As we agree, the racists in the GOP are a minority, and for all you know, not a single one of them voted for Jindal.

Some people also have racist views only towards certain racists. I've encountered people who have no problems with those of Asian descent who treated blacks as if they were subhuman.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Depending on exactly where you fit into the scheme of things that could be true or not true.

IOW, it is all about who benefits from that program and that depends on their own situation. Not everyone views it from a pure economical sense nor does everyone know the plan well enough to form an opinion.

Generally, however, I'd say a fall back health care fiasco like Medi this or that would be better.... Find a way to cover everyone with basic income tested health care but allow everyone their choices.

A fed gov run system would be an insane thing to have. The same reason why the various EU states would never want the EU to have a single system for all of them is the reason why we should never want the fed gov to have a single system for all of us.

If each state wants to setup their own, no problem there...but it is simply insane to think the fed gov could provide better healthcare for less money than the states can do it.