Why does Samsung have no M2 in PCI-E 4.0? And other companies have?

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
Why does Samsung have no M2 in PCI-E 4.0? And other companies have?

It's a bit strange that the

Corsair

, Gigabyte manufacturers that don't produce M2 already have an M2 device for PCI * E 4.0 and Samsung has nothing.

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
Samsung uses their own controllers -- so they won't be releasing one using the Phison E16. I am sure they will come out with a PCIe 4.0 lineup soon enough, give them some time. PCIe 4.0 platforms haven't even been available to consumers for a month yet.

Reactions: d33pblue

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
There is no connection

Samsung is producing the actual M2!
They may not have planned or tested an M2 creature before releasing a PCI-E4.0 to the market ?
Corsair Before the PCI-E 4.0 boards came out, it already had an M2 PCI-E4.0 ready

It is not possible that 3 manufacturers buying M2 FROM SAMSUNG have already been able to market
Something here smells bad.

Samsung has previously claimed that the M.2 970 will support PCI-E 4.0
With a special driver, the actual driver has not arrived!

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
Only Phison E16 supports 4.0 right now, so every design is based on that controller.

Samsung probably doesn't want to rush this until it's ready.

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
There is no connection

Samsung is producing the actual M2!

No, Samsung is not producing Phison E16 drives.

It is not possible that 3 manufacturers buying M2 FROM SAMSUNG have already been able to market
Something here smells bad.

Correct, but not for the reason you think.

Samsung has previously claimed that the M.2 970 will support PCI-E 4.0
With a special driver, the actual driver has not arrived!

Not true, except in that PCIe 4.0 is backwards compatible. And drivers have nothing to do with this.

Phison took some shortcuts to make a PCIe 4.0-capable controller as quickly as possible: aside from the PCIe frontend the E16 is almost identical to the E12 controller. Most of the other controller designers that have announced PCIe 4.0 NVMe controllers are switching to a FinFET process for the first time and putting a lot more work into optimizing power efficiency. This is the approach we can expect Samsung to take, and they don't normally share information about their controller roadmap before they are ready to announce specific products. Samsung will move their client NVMe products over to PCIe 4.0 when they have a controller that's ready to serve both the high-end client market and entry-level datacenter market.

d33pblue

Jul 2, 2003
From what I've seen, PCI 4.0 brings almost no benefit to actual application performance - only to synthetic sequential transfers. I have no reason to get too excited about it right now.

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
That's why i waiting for the Samsung M.2
M.2 PCI-E 3.0 X8
Will give 6000 MB of read results

And PCI-E 4.0 will barely give 5000 MB
The fact that Samsung does not have one M.2 card PCI -4.0 claims there is a problem or has a stinky deal with Intel! Not letting AMD win.

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
That's why i waiting for the Samsung M.2
M.2 PCI-E 3.0 X8
Will give 6000 MB of read results

And PCI-E 4.0 will barely give 5000 MB
The fact that Samsung does not have one M.2 card PCI -4.0 claims there is a problem or has a stinky deal with Intel! Not letting AMD win.

No dude, just no. There is no conspiracy with Intel & Samsung, that's just ridiculous. Also PCIe 4.0 x4 is exactly the same speed as 3.0 x8.

Feb 4, 2009
I’ve read some theories that PCIE 5 will be available soon(ish). That’s why the big players are ignoring 4.0, basically 4.0’s lifespan will be short.
No link just something I’ve read.

nosirrahx

Mar 24, 2018
I’ve read some theories that PCIE 5 will be available soon(ish). That’s why the big players are ignoring 4.0, basically 4.0’s lifespan will be short.
No link just something I’ve read.

Intel marketing hype to keep people from building PCIe 4.0 based AMD systems.

PCIe 4.0 devices are going to be rare as it is tough to take advantage of bandwidth. PCIe 5.0 would require companies to devote huge resources to building devices that no one needs and wont even be 100% compatible with AMD systems.

As far as Samsung goes, I have no doubt that their first PCIe 4.0 SSDs will jump right to the top of the list and hopefully double the 4KQ1T1 metrics, we would really feel that in as OS/Apps drive.

nosirrahx

Mar 24, 2018
No dude, just no. There is no conspiracy with Intel & Samsung, that's just ridiculous. Also PCIe 4.0 x4 is exactly the same speed as 3.0 x8.

Literally

4 lanes at 40 MPH VS 8 lanes at 20 MPH, the bandwidth is identical.

The only thing that might be slightly different is 4KQ1T1 but that will need to be benchmarked to confirm and if there is a difference, PCIe 4.0 will win.

What I am talking about is a top tier PCIe 4.0 M.2 drive in a PCIe 3.0 slot. Sure the max sequential will be handicapped but what about the 4KQ1T1? This will be interesting to test.