Why does Saab need a turbo to get 200HP out of a 3.0 liter V6??

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This just boggles the mind!!?? And please don't tell me it's b/c of torque b/c Saabs are NOTORIOUS for their awful torque steer so that's the least thing they need to be worried about. I mean, even Ford's 3.0 liter Duratec V6 gets 200HP. Toyota's 3.0 liter V6 makes anywhere from 192HP (Camry) to 210HP (ES300/Avalon) to 220 HP (RX300/Highlander). Honda's 3.0 liter V6 makes 200HP. VW's new 2.8 liter V6 makes 200. Mitsu's 3.0 V6 makes 210HP.

WTF is up with Saab?:Q

http://auto.com/reviews/saabs23_20020423.htm

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Maybe the compression is about 5:1 with LOTS of room for boost :D

Aug 16, 2001
Asymmetrical turbocharging

While all Saab 9-5 SportWagon powerplants feature our exclusive, proven turbocharging technology, the Arc 3.0t model offers the world's first asymmetrically turbocharged V6. This highly efficient, innovative approach pioneered by Saab uses just one bank of three cylinders to extract more power from the entire engine, taking advantage of the larger displacement and horsepower potential of a V6 while smoothly and substantially boosting low-end torque.

That's why! turbo charger on 3 cylinders.
Have you ever driven a 9-5? Very good road car IMHO.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

<< Asymmetrical turbocharging

While all Saab 9-5 SportWagon powerplants feature our exclusive, proven turbocharging technology, the Arc 3.0t model offers the world's first asymmetrically turbocharged V6. This highly efficient, innovative approach pioneered by Saab uses just one bank of three cylinders to extract more power from the entire engine, taking advantage of the larger displacement and horsepower potential of a V6 while smoothly and substantially boosting low-end torque.

>>

Wrong, the turbo is only driven by the exaust from three cylinders. All six cylinders receive boost from the turbo.

ZV

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

<< Well at least its a V6 not one of their 4 cylander 150bhp turbo cars. :) >>

Hey now! Their Viggens put out:

Horsepower: 230hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 258ft-lbs. @ 2500 rpm

Not too bad for a 2.3L four banger :D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Asymmetrical turbocharging

>>

The bitch still only gets 18/26 mileage. All of the other V6's get better gas mileage and equal (or more) power. I don't see the point (or why they can't make a decent naturally aspirated 6).

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Because Saabs have never been that great, and now that GM controls them, they can kiss any significant R&D money goodbye. GM's philosophy for the past 30 years appears to be "market now, design later."

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
All I know is that historically Saab has liked to market very light boost (low pressure) turbos as some sort of compromise between performance and economy. Seems like a lot of extra complexity for the results.

Saabs have long been quirky yet much fun to drive. The GM Saabs lost just enough of their distinctiveness that they looked like the then current Nissan Sentras when they came out. Sigh.

Many old Saab folks are knowledgable enthusiasts verging on the fanantic. They're definitely an acquired taste. I don't know about now, but the pre GM 900 turbos, yuppies burned them out because you had to let them idle for a couple of minutes before shutting them off if you'd used the turbo. And that model Saab turbo had the highest mandatory yearly maintenance cost of any car I've ever seen -- it was well over $2,000 just in scheduled maintenance per year.

That said, I used to love those old V4, two stroke, 99's! The station wagon model had a rear end (with fins) so ugly it would make any Nissan fanboy green with envy. :D

GnatGoSplat

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
This is an Opel-derived engine, variants of which are also used on the Saturn LS and Cadillac Catera. The Catera version DID put out at least 200HP without a turbo. I think the Saturn version was 182HP or something like that.
Only thing I can think of is maybe it's a marketing thing... run a lower compression ratio and the engine can run 87-octane fuel. It's a known fact that the typical average consumer does NOT want to pay more for Premium, so this engine can run on 87 by running less boost, but can also deliver better performance on Premium by running higher boost. This is just a guess, I could be way off.

IMO, GM designs some pretty good engines. They've stuck with old pushrod technology and managed to build engines that produce more power and torque while consuming less fuel than the equivelent DOHC. Not only that, but the physical packaging is much smaller as well. The only "problem" is these engines SEEM less efficient and APPEAR to be inferior due to their higher displacement (not as good HP/L ratio). However, displacement is just a number in the specs like bore & stroke, it doesn't relate to fuel efficiency or power produced. The 5.7L LS1 V8 in an F-body produces almost 100 more HP and gets 1-2mpg better fuel economy than BMW's 3.0L DOHC I-6 in a 5-series. The BMW actually weighs LESS. GM's 3800 Series II only produces 200HP, but it gets better fuel economy and produces more torque than almost all 3.0L DOHC V6's from any manufacturer. It's less thirsty than many 150-160HP 4-cyls.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Hmmm, not enough engine spec's to say....

Prolly just needs a aftermarket boost controller on it ;) or if it's got Syclone syndrome it just needs a bigger hair dryer ;)

Aug 16, 2001

<< Only thing I can think of is maybe it's a marketing thing... run a lower compression ratio and the engine can run 87-octane fuel. It's a known fact that the typical average consumer does NOT want to pay more for Premium, so this engine can run on 87 by running less boost, but can also deliver better performance on Premium by running higher boost. This is just a guess, I could be way off. >>

I was wrong about the 3cyl turbo but I know it has nothing to do with compression. SAAB have had computerized ignition control since '85 and the engine adjust to whatever octane you feed to it.
Back in '85 tests vere made with sub-par russian gasoline (@70-75 Octane) ---> worked just fine.
SAAB have had turbo charged cars in production since '78-'79 and it has become a trademark so I think it's partly tradition.
I don't think SAAB 'needs' a turbo to get 200hp from a V6. They use it to get a flat wide engine caracteristic with torque all the way from 2000rpm to the redline.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Probably the same reason Nissan needs a supercharger to get 210hp out of a Frontier :D >>

LOL, haha :D

Apr 5, 2000
That just cracks me up - I mean whats the point of putting on a turbo/sc if you're going to be making some weak @$$ numbers like 200hp? Hell the Xterra's SC'ed version only comes with 240hp.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
yeah whats up with the frontier/xterra... why not just slap a altima/maxima issue VQ35 in dat biotch get 250 out of it easy with probably the best torque curve on a V6 ever, then stick a blower on it to push the torque to insane amounts.

actually, i bet the VQ doesn't take a blower very well, high compression. booooo.

Ciber

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2000
it's just for marketing. people see turbo and go, OMG IT HAS A TURBO.........hehe and they have no idea what a turbo is....
rolleye.gif

Aug 16, 2001
I am just waiting for the 'variable compression engine' from SAAB to hit the market. That'll do wonders for fuel economy.