Why does our government want to Bomb Iran so bad?

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
http://goggly.blogspot.com/200...tro-dollar-and-us.html

I know I have to comment on the article, but I'm not really sure what to say. Its the most spot on story I've read when looking at the big picture on the state of worldwide government affairs.

If you think the dollar has taken a hit now.. hell I'm scared to see the shape of the US dollar in ten years from now.

So the next big question: what will our evil and psychotic government do next? Invade Iran? Switch to a new currency because we can't repay our foreign debt again?

And another question, assuming the situation in the US deteriorates. Will we get a home grown revolution?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Denominated in U.S. dollar != Exclusively redeemable for U.S. dollars

Now countries had to keep dollars to buy much needed oil. And the US could buy oil all over the world, free of charge.. What a Houdini for the US !

:confused: What?

In early 2003, Hugo Chavez, President of Venezuela talked openly of selling half of its oil in euros (the other half is bought by the US ). On 12 April 2003, the US-supported business leaders and some generals in Venezuela kidnapped Chavez and attempted a coup. The masses rose against this and the Army followed suit.

The US has to find a way to pay for its dollar-imperialist exploitation of the world since 1945.. Somehow, eventually, it has to account for every dollar in every vault in the world.

I wonder if this guy realizes that a whole lot of that money is bytes stored in computers and not literally stacks of bills sitting in vaults across the world.

Does the U.S. benefit from being the de facto standard for foreign currency reserves? Absolutely.

Is the U.S. being the de facto standard for foreign currency reserves what keeps the national economy afloat? Not even close. An impressively stupid blog post.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Our government has been harping on Iran ever since their people overthrew our puppet government there.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: yllus

Now countries had to keep dollars to buy much needed oil. And the US could buy oil all over the world, free of charge.. What a Houdini for the US !

I believe he's referring to currency exchange fees.

Interesting article.

Fern

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrodollar_warfare

In early 2003, Hugo Chavez, President of Venezuela talked openly of selling half of its oil in euros (the other half is bought by the US ). On 12 April 2003, the US-supported business leaders and some generals in Venezuela kidnapped Chavez and attempted a coup. The masses rose against this and the Army followed suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2..._d%27%C3%A9tat_attempt

The US has to find a way to pay for its dollar-imperialist exploitation of the world since 1945.. Somehow, eventually, it has to account for every dollar in every vault in the world.

I wonder if this guy realizes that a whole lot of that money is bytes stored in computers and not literally stacks of bills sitting in vaults across the world.

I don't have a handy chart out in front of me, but our money supply generated from banks should always be greater than the money that gets created through debt. This is because all of our money originates through debt (as bits in a computer) and gets multiplied through the banks through fractional reserve lending.

Does the U.S. benefit from being the de facto standard for foreign currency reserves? Absolutely.

Is the U.S. being the de facto standard for foreign currency reserves what keeps the national economy afloat? Not even close. An impressively stupid blog post.

Are you kidding me? What other reason do foreign investors have for funding our debt? We don't produce exports nearly on the same level as these foreign companies. They fund our debt and we spend money on foreign TVs and cars.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Wikipedia isn't proof, SleepWalkerX. And where do those links explain how countries have to posses dollars to buy oil? Or why oil is free of charge for the U.S.? Or prove that Chavez wanting to denominate in another currency is why a coup attempt was made against him? It's not as if there were no other reasons to attack his government. It's a cute little conspiracy theory, but only just that.

Your money supply isn't in that bad shape. Could be better, but it's not in a critical state. However, what I was referring to was this "spot on" article continuously stating:

The US took full advantage over the next decades and printed dollars like there was no tomorrow.

You see, this did not affect inflation at home! The US got it all for free! Well, maybe for a forest or two.

Over subsequent decades the world's vaults bulged at the seams and more and more vaults were built, just for US dollars.

This enables the US to carry out printing dollars at the price of next to nothing to fund increased military spending and consumer spending on imports. There is no theoretical limit to the amount of dollars that can be printed.

The problem for so many countries now is how to get rid of their vaults full of dollars, before it crashes?

There is one `solution' -- scrap the dollar and print a whole new currency for the US.

The guy literally thinks that all U.S. dollar holdings overseas are physical money. If this wasn't a big red flag for you when you read the article, you really shouldn't be commentating on economics. Not to mention his completely asinine 'solution' in which he figures printing a different piece of paper instead of the old one would somehow reset things.

It seems that you don't actually understand why foreign banks buy American dollars and why foreign investors invest in the U.S. economy. The answer: Stability, transparency, proven performance and rule of law. Is the historic stability of the U.S. dollar going to continue? Probably yes, though not as the only option - the Euro is very attractive as well. However, things aren't about to implode any day now in the U.S. as you seem to believe.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
our government does not want to bomb iran.

our government wants Iran to think we want to bomb them.

no one is stupid enough to believe it except the far left and the paranoid internets.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Wikipedia isn't proof, SleepWalkerX.

You can't prove an individual's (or state's) intentions. These are subjective. You can merely make assumptions and theories based on observation.

And where do those links explain how countries have to posses dollars to buy oil? Or why oil is free of charge for the U.S.? Or prove that Chavez wanting to denominate in another currency is why a coup attempt was made against him? It's not as if there were no other reasons to attack his government. It's a cute little conspiracy theory, but only just that.

I'll address your first and second concern later. Google for "International Seminar on the Future of Energy" which is the name of the speech Chavez gave to members of OPEC in . For some reason I'm unable to find a transcript of the event and can only go on news articles. One of the things Chavez mentioned is to abandon the Dollar and adopt the Euro as the reserve currency.

Your money supply isn't in that bad shape. Could be better, but it's not in a critical state. However, what I was referring to was this "spot on" article continuously stating:

Our money supply? As in the dollar? If you don't believe the dollar is going to be abandoned [if current trends continue] then you have your head in the sand.

The guy literally thinks that all U.S. dollar holdings overseas are physical money. If this wasn't a big red flag for you when you read the article, you really shouldn't be commentating on economics. Not to mention his completely asinine 'solution' in which he figures printing a different piece of paper instead of the old one would somehow reset things.

It seems that you don't actually understand why foreign banks buy American dollars and why foreign investors invest in the U.S. economy. The answer: Stability, transparency, proven performance and rule of law. Is the historic stability of the U.S. dollar going to continue? Probably yes, though not as the only option - the Euro is very attractive as well. However, things aren't about to implode any day now in the U.S. as you seem to believe.

Please read the following article on why foreign banks hold dollars in reserve. I would extract quotes, but the whole thing is crucial (the juicy bit is in the middle).

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/12463

Now as far as 'printing another piece of paper' goes, you have to understand the path the US has been taking.

We went from no government control over bills of credit with a gold backed currency. Then we had regulation. Then we had a bank panic. Then we had more regulation with a monopolized currency. Then we had a depression and expanded the government some more. Then we raised the exchange rate of gold per dollar and made it illegal to own gold. We went through the era of having "Guns and Butter" and had to pay for it in the 70's by cutting off the tie between the dollar and gold. We didn't want to see our gold go overseas so we stopped guaranteeing the exchange rate from dollars to gold and defaulted on the world while they were on the Bretton Woods standard!

Is it really that crazy to suggest we'd default on the world again? It makes perfect sense from a crazy and maniacal government's point of view.

People don't realize how much America has bullied the rest of the world and many parts of the world hate us. But hey, as long as we're getting our big screen TVs, oil guzzling vehicles, and overall high standards of living at the expense of the rest of the world, then fuck the rest of the world right?

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
our government does not want to bomb iran.

our government wants Iran to think we want to bomb them.

no one is stupid enough to believe it except the far left and the paranoid internets.

I wonder why people don't see how evil government (and our's in particular) really is. You don't government enough credit, it did drop Nuclear bombs, engage in genocide, discrimination, theft, slavery, etc throughout history.

Our government would've bombed Iran in a heartbeat if we'd let them. The only reason we haven't is because it would involve another costly war and people are already tired of the current war. People understand they were duped into thinking Iraq had WMD's and are not falling for the same trick (that, or the people that still have blind faith in our government use the excuse that our government made a mistake and they forgive it) so there's low public opinion about invading Iran. Now we start to look like aggressors.

What they've been trying to do is expand our "War on Terror" to include Iran. Luckily, it hasn't been working.. yet at least.. :(

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80
lol that blog post is completely fail

As pretty much always, you lack any argument - fact or logic. You spending time in this forum seems like Helen Keller spending time at the movies.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
:thumbsup:
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: JS80
lol that blog post is completely fail

As pretty much always, you lack any argument - fact or logic. You spending time in this forum seems like Helen Keller spending time at the movies.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
I've been reading articles by international economists and this is what they worry about the most. Even those who are against the U.S worried that the impact would be too huge for the world to handle.

Originally posted by: Fern

I believe he's referring to currency exchange fees.

Interesting article.

Fern

U.S could print out more dollars to purchase things like oil and it didn't really devalue the power of $ due to many countries buying and stocking them for the protection of own market.
Japan for instance holds tons of dollars and even if dollars go down, they won't sell much of it as they want to protect their own market. However, once they see no future in $, they'll sell it to avoid the worst.
The problem is that $ seems to hold less furture.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That article is so full of stupidity, invalid assumptions, leaps of logic and outright nonsense that it's not even worth the time to list everything. It's sufficient to say the writer of the article is an idiot.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
That article is so full of stupidity, invalid assumptions, leaps of logic and outright nonsense that it's not even worth the time to list everything. It's sufficient to say the writer of the article is an idiot.

Care to eleborate more?

You could easily say that "the writer of the article is an idot," and feel better but I've read so much articles like this one. Not only that, those articles were from major economists/strategist around the world.
Even more than decades ago, it was predicted that a day like this would come.