why does new york city hate me so much?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: loup garou
lol
Welcome to New York. Doesn't sound like you'll last long.

get used to it and get some thicker skin. Assimilate or you will not have a very good time!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's not that NYC hates you. It's just that it hasn't gotten to know you yet. I suggest taking it out to dinner, maybe a movie. You know, get acquainted. ;)

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: AgentUnknown
If you say the Bronx, I will pray for you. Bronx is a rough place...

boooooo! Its not THAT bad! Its really no worse than any other borough. My hometown never gets a fair shake. :)

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: raystorm
If you say the Bronx, I will pray for you. Bronx is a rough place...

boooooo! Its not THAT bad! Its really no worse than any other borough. My hometown never gets a fair shake. :)

People who think the Bronx is "rough" (parts of it were maybe at one point, not so much now) don't know what they are talking about. Sure, there are bad parts in every borough, but overall NYC is a fairly nice place to live and there are definitely a lot of beautiful and relatively safe places there. I have a friend that moved to Manhattan a couple months back, and he thinks all of uptown Manhattan is dangerous.

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
I agree with the other posters, the subway things were probably your fault, but that's easily corrected. The snowball incident seems odd to me, as I've never seen or heard about anything like that before.

Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
It's not that NYC hates you. It's just that it hasn't gotten to know you yet. I suggest taking it out to dinner, maybe a movie. You know, get acquainted. ;)
I have to warn you that it won't be gentle just because it's your first time.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Yeah, you'll last an entire New York minute.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: EGGO
You must be new here. :D

Just yesterday, I was at the side, and this group of asian guys and girls were taking up the sidewalk coming towards me. Just enough room to come through. Then as we were passing each other, this small asian girl was trying to squeeze into that whole I was going to walk through. "Fvck her" said my mind and I became a walking wall and holy crap did she suffer whiplash when her shoulder hit me.

Kept on walking...

I hate that crap. Morons taking the whole sidewalk to walk in groups. I just get my body ready and plow 'em down.

Was it a Penny Arcade comic that had a really funny similar situation? Damn, I don't remember.

EDIT: No wait, it was in a MSPaint thread at SA...

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: episodic
I'd like to see someone bump me out of the way. (6'3 and 300lbs)
I've seen Chinese grandmas bump people bigger than you out of the way getting off/on the subway. It has little to do with size.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: BZeto
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: BZeto
I would just smile and compliment those people in some way. It would probably piss them off even more.

See, you don't get it at all. They're not pissed off in the slightest. The other people were not angry or emotional or being dickish. You were in the way. They moved you. They didn't spare you a second thought, so getting angry at them is a waste of your time. Now stand clear of the goddamn closing doors.

That's sort of what I'm saying, there is no point in getting angry at them. So smile and continue with your day. Although it would be hard not to get a little irritated if someone slams you in the shoulder as they walk by. That is "dickish", even if it is considered normal behavior.

Au contraire, mon freire. Dickish is standing in the doorway when people are trying to get off/on. A shoulder is merely local parlance for "excuse me sir, you seem to be impeding the flow of human traffic in both directions, and given the high population density of the surrounding area I suggest it would be good manners to remove yourself from the spot in which you stand and relocate to a position further inside the car thus facilitating the boarding process for all involved. I bid you a pleasant day."

We just don't have time to say all that in the 6 seconds before the doors close. Hence, a shoulder. Dickish would be a shoulder and picking your pocket.

don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say anything about being in the way. There was no human traffic, I think I was the only one getting on and there were maybe 3 people getting off. I was to the side and he could've easily gotten around me.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
I lived in NYC, and yes it's like that, but never a snowball. I lived there 4 years, and a year in I was the one who was aggressive. I would always be the first to walk out of a subway train and push ppl arouind. If you make it in NYC, you will make it anywhere. What part of town do you live in? If you say the Bronx, I will pray for you. Bronx is a rough place...

I live close to Harlem

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
another bad incident happened tonight

wtf?
do people have some kind of anger management problem around here and have some hate for their life that they want to unleash unto others? They are purposely asking for trouble because they must have nothing else to do

I was at PENN station, going towards my subway line
There was a guy that was standing a few feet distant from the handrail, plenty of distance for me to walk through without even touching him. He pushes me with his hands as soon as go through. I yelled to him "Get a fucking life"
Then he starts walking fast towards me trying to start shit, he was a bigger guy but I held him at arms length... I was ready to dodge if he threw a punch and I was thinking of punching him in the face because my anger was about to top over after what has been happening recently. I thought with my head and I remembered my family telling me, it's not worth it and to just ignore
He says some crap like " what you're going to beat me up?"
I kept walking
I said to him, get a fucking life again because he kept following me
I saw a cop standing nearby, so I started to get the cops attention, he quickly walks away.

What is the best way to handle this situation? I don't want to let these people get away without hearing anything from me but I don't want to get in trouble by physically fighting. I don't mind fighting if the situation really called for it but this guy was some dude nearing his thirties with nothing else to do with his time... only assumptions but that's what he looked like.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Sounds like you are acting like a douche also. Tit for tat?

how was I being a douche?

The way he came off, he was waiting for someone to start shit with... I could've said anything and he would've came at me the same

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Haha you're not much of a city person I see. I live in Philly and it's bad enough... NYC is an ENTIRELY different animal and MUCH worse.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: fritolays

The way he came off, he was waiting for someone to start shit with... I could've said anything and he would've came at me the same

I have been here for a year and never had one problem. I take 4 trains per day and walk through 42nd/TS and GCT. I have bumped and pushed people all over, never once did I return anybody's bitching. Just keep walking.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Meh I lived in NYC for a while and I never had those kinda problems. People bumping into me, me making my way thru 'em etc. That's just how it goes.

The only thing that PISSED ME OFF was people walking slow as shit on the sidewalk. Every fucking day I would walk from WTC to the seaport and these fools would take up the whole sidewalk walking at 2mph. Not something i wanna deal with when im trying to get to work

Especially around century 21, that place is a god dam tourist landing zone (why i have no fucking idea, same shit as everywhere else plus NYC sales tax)

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003

I have been here for a year and never had one problem. I take 4 trains per day and walk through 42nd/TS and GCT. I have bumped and pushed people all over, never once did I return anybody's bitching. Just keep walking.

so if someone pushed you, you would just keep walking?

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

It's because you're a level 5 badass and the OP is a wuss.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

I could never work on time square, the commute would just anger me twice a day. SOOOO many tourists in your way.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: halik
Meh I lived in NYC for a while and I never had those kinda problems. People bumping into me, me making my way thru 'em etc. That's just how it goes.

yea. im the same way. OP, im not sure why you're getting "targeted" but don't bother starting shit. it's not worth getting in trouble over something petty.

like i said before, im sure things will calm down for you and it's just been a bad string of events.