why does new york city hate me so much?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
I would just smile and compliment those people in some way. It would probably piss them off even more.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
:music:
The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow
'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck a day
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh!

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
I love ya Tomorrow!
You're always
A day
A way!

:music:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BZeto
I would just smile and compliment those people in some way. It would probably piss them off even more.

See, you don't get it at all. They're not pissed off in the slightest. The other people were not angry or emotional or being dickish. You were in the way. They moved you. They didn't spare you a second thought, so getting angry at them is a waste of your time. Now stand clear of the goddamn closing doors.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: sirjonk

See, you don't get it at all. They're not pissed off in the slightest. The other people were not angry or emotional or being dickish. You were in the way. They moved you. They didn't spare you a second thought, so getting angry at them is a waste of your time. Now stand clear of the goddamn closing doors.
DING DONG
;)

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
The awesomeness of NYC is so great that we deliberately are rude to everyone that comes here so we aren't overrun. Welcome to New York...

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: fritolays
why does new york city hate me so much?

Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the c.h.u.d.s

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002

That's sort of what I'm saying, there is no point in getting angry at them. So smile and continue with your day. Although it would be hard not to get a little irritated if someone slams you in the shoulder as they walk by. That is "dickish", even if it is considered normal behavior.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

That's sort of what I'm saying, there is no point in getting angry at them. So smile and continue with your day. Although it would be hard not to get a little irritated if someone slams you in the shoulder as they walk by. That is "dickish", even if it is considered normal behavior.

Au contraire, mon freire. Dickish is standing in the doorway when people are trying to get off/on. A shoulder is merely local parlance for "excuse me sir, you seem to be impeding the flow of human traffic in both directions, and given the high population density of the surrounding area I suggest it would be good manners to remove yourself from the spot in which you stand and relocate to a position further inside the car thus facilitating the boarding process for all involved. I bid you a pleasant day."

We just don't have time to say all that in the 6 seconds before the doors close. Hence, a shoulder. Dickish would be a shoulder and picking your pocket.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Au contraire, mon freire. Dickish is standing in the doorway when people are trying to get off/on. A shoulder is merely local parlance for "excuse me sir, you seem to be impeding the flow of human traffic in both directions, and given the high population density of the surrounding area I suggest it would be good manners to remove yourself from the spot in which you stand and relocate to a position further inside the car thus facilitating the boarding process for all involved. I bid you a pleasant day."

We just don't have time to say all that in the 6 seconds before the doors close. Hence, a shoulder. Dickish would be a shoulder and picking your pocket.

Post of the day? Maybe. But definitely close :beer:

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
I lived in NYC, and yes it's like that, but never a snowball. I lived there 4 years, and a year in I was the one who was aggressive. I would always be the first to walk out of a subway train and push ppl arouind. If you make it in NYC, you will make it anywhere. What part of town do you live in? If you say the Bronx, I will pray for you. Bronx is a rough place...

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Just carry an airsoft gun with you, and holster it so that the orange tip is not visible. Then just flash open your jacket to anyone who pisses you off.

Besides, you can't get upset at New Yorkers. When your grandfather was an asshole , and your dad was an asshole....it's like tradition you know? Self entitled belief that you can be a dick and the rest of the nation has to accept that.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: oiprocs
Just carry an airsoft gun with you, and holster it so that the orange tip is not visible. Then just flash open your jacket to anyone who pisses you off.

Besides, you can't get upset at New Yorkers. When your grandfather was an asshole , and your dad was an asshole....it's like tradition you know? Self entitled belief that you can be a dick and the rest of the nation has to accept that.

rule #1234398 of survival

don't bring an airsoft gun to a gunfight.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
You must be new here. :D

Just yesterday, I was at the side, and this group of asian guys and girls were taking up the sidewalk coming towards me. Just enough room to come through. Then as we were passing each other, this small asian girl was trying to squeeze into that whole I was going to walk through. "Fvck her" said my mind and I became a walking wall and holy crap did she suffer whiplash when her shoulder hit me.

Kept on walking...

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Ns1

rule #don'tknowwhatnumber of avoiding prison

Unless you've got a CCW, don't be a dumbass.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Then uh, don't bring anything at all?

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001

Yeah but see, since the OP has been faced with 3 different situations and failed to say ANYTHING during these situations, he needs to have a prop speak for him. A look-alike gun will do just that.

The best thing about New Yorkers is that they speak their mind. If they think you're an asshole, you'll be sure to hear it from them. Likewise, if they think you're alright, they won't hesitate to mention it.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: EGGO
You must be new here. :D

Just yesterday, I was at the side, and this group of asian guys and girls were taking up the sidewalk coming towards me. Just enough room to come through. Then as we were passing each other, this small asian girl was trying to squeeze into that whole I was going to walk through. "Fvck her" said my mind and I became a walking wall and holy crap did she suffer whiplash when her shoulder hit me.

Kept on walking...

I hate that crap. Morons taking the whole sidewalk to walk in groups. I just get my body ready and plow 'em down.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Yeah but see, since the OP has been faced with 3 different situations and failed to say ANYTHING during these situations, he needs to have a prop speak for him. A look-alike gun will do just that.

The best thing about New Yorkers is that they speak their mind. If they think you're an asshole, you'll be sure to hear it from them. Likewise, if they think you're alright, they won't hesitate to mention it.

I think the fallacy in that argument lies in the chances of meeting somebody more heavily armed then you. See "Snatch" for reference.

Bullet Tooth Tony: So, you are obviously the big dick. The men on the side of ya are your balls. There are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincey lovely human balls.

Vinny: These are your last words, so make them a prayer.

Bullet Tooth Tony: Now, dicks have drive and clarity of vision, but they are not clever. They smell pussy and they want a piece of the action. And you thought you smelled some good old pussy, and have brought your two small mincey lovely human balls along for a good old time. But you've got your parties mangled up. There's no pussy here, just a dose that'll make you wish you were born a woman. Like a prick, you are having second thoughts. You are shrinking, and your two little balls are shrinking with ya. The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun. (withdraws his gun) And the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... Fuck off.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
If Woody Allen can survive NYC, you can!

YES, NYC is a rude town. But you gotta stand up for yourself when the occasion warrants it.

I'm 6'4" so I don't get as much grief. But

I almost got ran over by an athletic looking african american taxi driver once. I kicked his door as he drove away to show my anger (I was inches from death), but then he STOPS at mid-intersection (streets were bare as it was 11PM). I raise my hands as if to say "whatcha gonna do?" He looked like he was going to pull over and get into it with me......

.....then across the streets were 2 NYC detectives (not uniformed cops) in their car that witnessed the whole thing. They yell into the car mike "Don't kick the fucking taxi asshole!" I look at them startled and they turn on the red lights/noise and go AGAINST traffic up one block past me. The taxi driver takes off scared. I look at the cops like if I'm going to get grief from them......but I see them arrest some drug dealer they were eyeing down the street.

SURRREAL TOWN. You never know what you're going to get. A lot of freaks and worked-up, touchy people in this pressure cooker rude city.

I suggest that youi be the HIGHER MAN, when you can....sometimes you'll just need to go at it as some people deserve a lesson of some sort.

Watch out for taxis as these are the most serious altercations I see in the streets....