Question Why does my gtx 460 get hot so quickly then start making my screen look all weird

Mikeyg210

Nov 16, 2020
I have been getting weird artifacts on my screen lately and I feel its due to my Nvidia gtx 460 getting so hot so quickly

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Most likely correct. Check to see if the Fan is still spinning properly. If not, it will likely need replaced, which may not be easy and may require you to buy a complete Heatsink/Fan for GPUs. If it is really dirty, a cleaning might solve your issue. Given the age and Artifacting/Heat, there is a strong chance that the card has permanent damage though.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I have been getting weird artifacts on my screen lately and I feel its due to my Nvidia gtx 460 getting so hot so quickly

serious question:
Have you ever cleaned the heatsink? (With a can of air that has the pokey tube attached. Alternatively, a vacuum cleaner can work to if your careful for static.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do those GTX 460 cards even work with modern titles? They aren't supported by modern NV drivers, that's for sure. (Fermi)

A card that old, if you haven't been cleaning the dust and hair and grime yearly at least, and re-pasting it every 3 years or so, is probably dead/dying from heat-death. Happened to a friend of mine, he never cleaned out his PC/video card, until his PC was crashing and blue-screening, by then, it was too late for the card.