why does my fluorescent light bulb keep blowing out?

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
why does my fluorescent light bulb keep blowing out? this is the 2nd one i have that burned out. the first one burned out within a month. this one lasted a little over a week. i'm using a torchiere lamp that supports 3 levels of brightness at 50-100-150 watts. the fluorescent bulb i use supports 3 levels of brightness as well. so i assume they're compatible. so does anyone know why it keeps blowing out?

and does anyone know if walmart will accept my bulb back even though i dont have receipt or packaging.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: optoman
You have a bad ballast.

eh? please explain further. is the ballast the thing that connects the bulb to the socket? i mean, is the ballast hte socket?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: gwlam12
You have a bad ballast.

eh? please explain further. is the ballast the thing that connects the bulb to the socket? i mean, is the ballast hte socket?
The ballast is what converts the house AC into what the bulbs need. It's built into the holder/enclosure usually.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
i think i understand...so would this affect all the lamps in the house then? cuz the bulbs in other rooms aren't breaking.

but then again, they aren't 3-way bulbs either (even though the lamp itself is).

i just took a bulb from another room and stuck it in mine to see if it will break as well

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
no, the ballast is part of the lamp itself... not the light bulb, the lamp.
in some lamps, it can easily be replaced. in others... it's not possible to replace the ballast without replacing the entire lamp.

thus, it would not affect anything besides the lamp itself.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: yamahaXS
poltergiest

yea, speaking of poltergeists, the lights in the other room goes off and on when my friend jumps on his bed.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
i think i understand...so would this affect all the lamps in the house then? cuz the bulbs in other rooms aren't breaking.

but then again, they aren't 3-way bulbs either (even though the lamp itself is).

i just took a bulb from another room and stuck it in mine to see if it will break as well
No, the ballast is built into each individual light fixture/lamp. It's just an extra part between the plug and the bulbs that makes them work correctly.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
no, the ballast is part of the lamp itself... not the light bulb, the lamp.
in some lamps, it can easily be replaced. in others... it's not possible to replace the ballast without replacing the entire lamp.

thus, it would not affect anything besides the lamp itself.

thanks. that really cleared things up. :)

$10 lamp from home depot. no big loss if it needs replacing . :) bummer, though.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
I would be careful using the lamp if it is eating away the bulbs. We had a ballast go in our apartment complex and it set off the fire alarm. The week before it went, it was flickering like nuts but the maintenance guy said it was nothing. I would of been pissed if they burned down my apartment. It just blew and charred the ceiling.

How old is the lamp?

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
I would be careful using the lamp if it is eating away the bulbs. We had a ballast go in our apartment complex and it set off the fire alarm. The week before it went, it was flickering like nuts but the maintenance guy said it was nothing. I would of been pissed if they burned down my apartment. It just blew and charred the ceiling.

How old is the lamp?

bought it at the end of june.

i just stuck in a third light bulb. this one isn't a 3-way like the other two were. if this one blows too, i will definitely replace the lamp. however, as of now, i am only considering it as i am strapped for cash.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Take it back to home depot and tell them the problem. See if they will give a free bulb for the one that burnt out.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Take it back to home depot and tell them the problem. See if they will give a free bulb for the one that burnt out.

no receipt, think they'll stil take it?

edit: nm, im reading their store policy at their website. no receipt gives me store credit. good enough. thanks for the advice.

too bad i dont have receipt, esp since im allowed 90 days to return it :(

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002

edit: nm, im reading their store policy at their website. no receipt gives me store credit. good enough. thanks for the advice.

How does this work?

IamElectro

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: fanerman91

How does this work?

Cash back if returned within 90 days with receipt. No receipt then you receive store credit. I have returned extra supplies from my house remodeling to Home Depot and Lowes long past 90 days for storecredit. Just make sure you have the original packaging.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Heisenberg

No, the ballast is built into each individual light fixture/lamp. It's just an extra part between the plug and the bulbs that makes them work correctly.

no it depends.

compact flourecents = balast included.

just a tube? then no ballast.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: IamElectro
Originally posted by: fanerman91

How does this work?

Cash back if returned within 90 days with receipt. No receipt then you receive store credit. I have returned extra supplies from my house remodeling to Home Depot and Lowes long past 90 days for storecredit. Just make sure you have the original packaging.

um, nope i dont have original packaging. i guess i will have to make a phone call then to see if i can stil return it.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: Heisenberg

no it depends.

compact flourecents = balast included.

just a tube? then no ballast.

mine's a compact fluorescent. so does any info given to me previously change? or is it all the same.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
In that case, the ballast is likely contained in the bulb. I'm not sure what could be causing the problem :-/

Someone here correct me if I'm wrong on the ballast likely being the problem. Unless there's a power fluctuation w/ the outlet, or something's wrong with the internal wiring of the lamp...

Drew

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
well the light bulb said on it "for use with self-ballasted lights" or something.

anyway, the wal-mart dude told me to stay away from lights of america because they screwed him over or something. i am currently trying a diff lightbulb that doesnt have 3 settings for power. if it blows, then...getting a new lamp. thanks for all the help ppo.