Why does my 5.8 ghz phone interfere with my 2.4 ghz baby monitor?

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
I got rid of my 2.4 ghz phones for the specific purpose of not messing up the 2.4 ghz baby monitor and replaced them with 5.8 ghz phones from costco.

Here is the exact baby monitor.
Here is the baby monitor.

I'm at work and forget the exact phone model. Do 5.8ghz phones still operate on 2.4 ghz frequencies or something like that? Why would they interfere with the signal?

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
I would have to wait until I get back home tonight to find out... I did buy it from Costco so I was thinking about returning it and giving a different brand a try.

Also - I know it is the phone and not a neighbor because the monitor only acts up when I use the phone and not at other times.

Originally posted by: FoBoT
what exact phone do you have?
new phones use both 5.8 and 2.4 and stuff

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
The CIA/FBI has bugged your home and is causing the interference. It has nothing to do with your phone and baby monitor not playing nice.

Don't say another word, they are listening. Take your ten most important things, throw them in a bag, and run! Leave your wife and baby behind.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
It shouldn't interfere at all, unless they're on the same electrical circuit in the house, and the phone somehow puts interference back onto the electrical line. Very unlikely though, you might've just got a bum phone. Try exchanging it for a new one and see what happens, or for a different (better) model. I've got Radioshack 5.8ghz phones, all made by Uniden, never had an interference problem ever.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
sometimes 5.8phones use 2.4 in one direction..

This is the answer. Probably.
They may transmit in 5.8 but receive at 2.4.

Aug 25, 2004
Do you (or a neighbor) have an old microwave? Instead of switching the phones, I suggest switching the baby monitor for one that works on a different frequency.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: akshatp
The CIA/FBI has bugged your home and is causing the interference. It has nothing to do with your phone and baby monitor not playing nice.

Don't say another word, they are listening. Take your ten most important things, throw them in a bag, and run! Leave your wife and baby behind.

:laugh:

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
They are AT&T phones by the way... I'll probably try a different brand from Costco.

crumpet19

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Harmonics.

I believe this is correct. Google 'frequency harmonics' and do a little math. You'll find that frequencies have harmonics in integrals.