Why does McCain have such a commanding lead in this state?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Because the evolution train doesn't have a scheduled stop in your state anytime soon. Sorry.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Uhtrinity
Yes, and our area is predominantly a Mormon area ... I'm not Mormon for the record, but grew up in the culture.

Your last name in your profile is the same as a Mormon pioneer family. It's not like being a Mormon named Smith or Young, but close.

Yeah, my dads side of the family is / was Mormon. I was never baptized, but still grew up with Mormons, went to some services, and had practically every boy scout meeting in a Mormon church. Not sure what your point is beyond that :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Stupidity? Afterall 23% of texans still think obama is a muslim. Democracy @ work.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yes, and our area is predominantly a Mormon area ... I'm not Mormon for the record, but grew up in the culture.

Your last name in your profile is the same as a Mormon pioneer family. It's not like being a Mormon named Smith or Young, but close.

Yeah, my dads side of the family is / was Mormon. I was never baptized, but still grew up with Mormons, went to some services, and had practically every boy scout meeting in a Mormon church. Not sure what your point is beyond that :)

Nothing beyond curiosity. I'm descended from Mormon pioneers on my mother's side, and have a lot of Mormon relatives in Utah.
I had the full-deal Mormon childhood myself. Big family (6 kids), 3 hour long church every Sunday, family home evenings, visiting teachers, boy scouts, seminary classes before school, older brothers serving missions, the works. I left before I would have had to serve a mission myself though. It was mutual though. I was pretty intellectual even as a teenager, and once I started asking hard questions, like what's wrong with evolution or with questioning authority, etc., it became clear that they wouldn't mind if I left. I wasn't disfellowshipped or excommunicated though, so no hard feelings.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Nothing beyond curiosity. I'm descended from Mormon pioneers on my mother's side, and have a lot of Mormon relatives in Utah.
I had the full-deal Mormon childhood myself. Big family (6 kids), 3 hour long church every Sunday, family home evenings, visiting teachers, boy scouts, seminary classes before school, older brothers serving missions, the works. I left before I would have had to serve a mission myself though. It was mutual though. I was pretty intellectual even as a teenager, and once I started asking hard questions, like what's wrong with evolution or with questioning authority, etc., it became clear that they wouldn't mind if I left. I wasn't disfellowshipped or excommunicated though, so no hard feelings.

I gotta say, I like the body is a temple thingi, what little I know of it if anything at all. But the idea that you should take care of your health makes good sense.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The state has not voted Democrat since 1964.

It has been the best Republican state in 7 of the last 8 elections.

The only way the Democrats win Utah is to nominate a Mormon.