Why does it always seem there is a Flu Vaccine Shortage EVERY FALL??

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Well I live in Boston, and I just saw a news report that a Children's Hospital in Boston only has 11 Flu Vaccine Shots left. And I also read yesterday that the company that makes the Flu Vaccine shots has run out of there supply. I don't get it?? Wouldn't these drug companies ramp up production way before the Flu season begins. It seems like every year if you want a flue shot you better get one within a 2-4 week period or thats it until next year? And why is it that only ONE company makes the flu shots, who not more than just one?

Anyone have an idea bout this?

BTW, if you can get a flu shot, do. I got one two or three years ago and I haven't gotten a cold or the flu since. Folks get so worked up into a hysteria about the side effects.

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Stealth1024
Price inflation?

But I was thinking more about the supply, not the price. How much is a flu shot anyway? There shouldn't just be one single Drug company making these flu shots.

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
this is usually the correct amount needed... but since this year everyone thinks is going to be the worst ever blah blah blah sars blah blah blah everyone went out to get he shots and they ran out.

It is a business. No sense making a whole bunch, no one getting a shot, and just throwing them all out.

Helixate1

Sep 16, 2003
Health care providers are required to place their order for the flu vaccine back in May. So they just estimate how much they will need for the upcoming season and sometimes they estimate short. Don't know why there aren't more then one drug company making the vaccine. I would guess because it is not a big money maker. Some places you can get a shot for $10.

DonaldC

Nov 18, 2001
The evening news on NBC tonight said last year there were 13,000,000 doses that went unused so this year production was cut back.