Why does everyone want to attack Afganistan so bad?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Let me play the devil's advocate here. One of the founding principles of democracy and free society (other than free speech etc) is the way our court systems work, ie innocent until proven guilty. Last I checked, no one had any proof that bin Laden did this, he is merely a suspect.

I think quite a few people need to take on a less trigger-happy atitude, after all, in the words of Michael from The Godfather "Revenge is a plate best served when cold".

I would love to see the Taliban (its despicable the way they treat people) and bin Laden & co. get killed, but it would be very hypocritical if the US/NATO go and start bombing Afganistan only on suspicion.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
And what does the US justice system do when the accuse won't give themself up to be tried?

Just forget about them?

If you're going to use analogies, at least use something more fitting.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

<< And what does the US justice system do when the accuse won't give themself up to be tried? >>

I'm not talking about the US justice system, but the attitude which people have.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
I agree with Marty. We must contain our anger and need for revenge and do whatever we can to STOP this. Violence ALONE will not. I am impatient, too, but I believe that prudence is important at this time.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We will never reduce terrorism unless we go after the countries that support it.

Russ, NCNE

Feb 24, 2001
they are already guilty. what do you mean they are innocent? so what if they didnt help this incident, they helped past ones, and they will help future ones, and that's where it must be stopped.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000

<< the way our court systems work, ie innocent until proven guilty >>

The court system has nothing to do with anything now. This is a military matter. Rules during wartime are a whole new ballgame. If the military finds evidence against Afganistan, they must act.

If you've followed the news at all, Afghanistan is trying quite hard to make themselves our enemies. They've already threatened to retaliate if we bomb them. Not really the characteristics of an innocent country now, is it?

Oct 9, 1999
I believe in ahimsa (non violence) and always try to resolve stuff without violence. However I feel the United States and President Bush is wrong about Bin Laden. Sure the culprits are from the middle east, but Bin Laden is probably one of them, not the only one.

Also what happened to the statement "The fact that you know the situation comprimises your judgement of the situation and hence you will not think rationally"

I think they should take time and research fully before attacking any one country. The underworld always has links with each other, be it the LTTE, Hamas, Harkat Ul Ansar, Drug runners in Central and South America, all will keep in contact.

Plus you cant wipe terrorism.. only people can change it. There are several types of terrorism, as long as people out there think they are fanatics there will be terrorism. As long as gang members exists there will be terror on teh streets, as long as religious leaders and missionaries keep trying to convert religions at every oppourtunity they can find there will be religious terrorism. See we cant kill terrorism, we can only hold it at bay but education and kindness as well as ahimsa.

TGG

Oct 9, 1999

<<

<< the way our court systems work, ie innocent until proven guilty >>

The court system has nothing to do with anything now. This is a military matter. Rules during wartime are a whole new ballgame. If the military finds evidence against Afganistan, they must act. If you've followed the news at all, Afghanistan is trying quite hard to make themselves our enemies. They've already threatened to retaliate if we bomb them. Not really the characteristics of an innocent country now, is it?
>>

lets put it on point, if someone hits you hard without any indication, would you :

a) hit them back
b) keep quiet and take the abuse.

Now we arent talkign of slapping or hitting someone, but rather using bombs.. so I guess its justified.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Marty,

You are correct that clear evidence was needed.

In a previous administration's attempts to defeat bin laden, we killed one secutity guard in a factory and a group of pakistani doctors on a religious retreat in the mountains of afghanistan. We do not need to kill more innocents who have nothing to do with terrorism or bin laden. The more we do, the closer we come to what bin laden really wants... a religious war betweein islam and the west.

good_guy,
I don't understand your point. Are you saying it's good to hit back or not?

judgejudy

Nov 15, 1999
Let me play the devil's advocate here. One of the founding principles of democracy and free society (other than free speech etc) is the way our court systems work, ie innocent until proven guilty. Last I checked, no one had any proof that bin Laden did this, he is merely a suspect.

There is already overwhelming evidence that Bin Laden and his terrorist network are behind this. The Taliban regime in Afghanistan is covering for Bin Laden. There have been already so many detainments and arrests made so far, not only in the U.S. but worldwide. Afghanistan is the root of the evil, and the Bin Laden aided Taliban will be destroyed because of this.
We have Bin Laden on so many other charges as well, including the U.S.S. Cole and Embassy bombings. Also, there has been a connection between the U.S.S. Cole attack, and this one. Bin Laden is our guy and he will be punished.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I believe we have to attack ythe countries that support terrorism...how else will we be able to control it?

Ausm

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

<< Why does everyone want to attack Afganistan so bad? >>

Their funeral is less expensive than keeping them in prison for a lifetime.

OSUdrunk

Apr 21, 2001

<< Last I checked, no one had any proof that bin Laden did this, he is merely a suspect. >>

It has been hinted many times in the last week that US intelligence knows A LOT more than they are revealing about who is behind this. Someone said that as soon as the FBI started going over the passenger lists they immediately noticed people connected with bin Laden. So just because the news isn't telling us how much the government knows, don't assume they don't know much.

The NSA intercepted communications between members of bin Laden's groups discussing the attacks and supposedly what they said was pretty self-incriminating.

Obviously all evidence we have will not be released to the public. We have to keep the element of surprise available when we attack who is behind this.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
<< And what does the US justice system do when the accuse won't give themself up to be tried? >>

I'm not talking about the US justice system, but the attitude which people have.

But you used the US justice system as an analogy in your first post... so i was continuing with your flawed analogy.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I agree that striking anything or anyone that isnt absolutely certain to have any sort of role in this horrible act, is a mistake. I do not believe however that our government is going to do this. There are enough officials within the government and military that have had to sit back and restrain themselves for too long. They've previously chased these terrorists and fanatics to within inches of catching them, only to have them slip through the cracks of a wall placed up, by people in other countries for just such purposes. I believe now, those walls no longer exist. Foreign policy on a whole throughout the free world is going to change. Which in short, means a whole lot of people who found it easy and safe to slip in and out of our, and europes borders, are going to encounter a more strict and stringent security checkpoint policy. People who once were lacksidaisical about incoming and outgoing foreigners, are going to cast a suspicious eye on all foreigners in general. The concensus at the moment is to strike. The people want it, but the government refrains until its sure they have the right target. Then, in a sustained and brutal way, terrorists and those who harbor them for WHATEVER reason will have a very large bill to pay.

:|~wnied~:|