Why does Android use so much data??

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by DLeRium, Dec 1, 2011.

1. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

I'm on wireless at home most of the time and same at school.

Sometimes I stare at my phone and the data indicator on HSDPA is just solid for a few minutes.

I'm not even sure what the hell is sucking up my data. I sync Facebook, Twitter and Gmail.

Now I realize ICS will have data control, but it seems like Android uses more data than iOS in general. While ICS adds limits for apps, I still don't get why so much data is pulled.

I can't even get away with 200mb data plan even with ZERO music streaming.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Android data Forum Date
    What channel does Google Android use for data? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Mar 13, 2017
    What the heck is "System Data" and how do you delete it? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jan 29, 2017
    How to access the /data folder in Android 6.0 ? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Nov 26, 2016
    Wow, Android data compression is a huge improvement Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jan 20, 2016
    Factory Reset doesn't wipe Android phone/tablet data! Mobile Devices & Gadgets Nov 14, 2015

3. Fear No Evil

Fear No Evil Diamond Member

Perhaps you use the phone more? I assume you were formerly an iPhone user.. is it the 'new phone' syndrome of using it more because its a new toy? Seems without hard numbers though that you are just speculating.. any hard data on data usage since moving to android? I wouldn't use the data indicator as a reliable gauge.

Whatever it is, its ABSOLUTELY NOT the mind control software built into Android.. don't even THINK of blaming that because its DEFINITELY NOT.

4. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

I have wifi at work and home also and use significantly less than 200mb of data a month. I have 2 email accounts as well as G+ synced with the phone.

5. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Platinum Member

I don't even usually use much more than 500mb even when I do stream a few videos in a month. When I don't do that, it barely uses any real data at all (email uses so little).

6. alent1234

alent1234 Diamond Member

Carrier iq

7. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

LOL, I was thinking the same thing...

8. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

Unlikely.

9. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

You have any network enabled widgets open?

Go to your accounts and sync options and check whats syncing. Under the options for Google it may be syncing your picassa albums if you have them linked to your Google acount.

10. aroundincircles

Check your apps for AP Mobile (Associated Press). A lot of people have problems with that updating constantly. I'm on AT&T, and it came preloaded with my SGSII. I can't uninstall it, and force stop only works for a short time before I have to manually go in and do it again. Also check for other apps that auto refresh.

The AT&T rep told me that some apps do update via 3/4G even if you're on WiFi. I argued up and down with them saying that if I'm paying for a data plan, I should be the one who decides how it is used, not a renegade app. They said it is "just the nature of smartphones." I don't buy it.

AG

11. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

I know :)

You have to admit though, data caps and them burning data collecting info about your customers is genius...

12. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Shens. For a few months I was back to my original Droid, and I didn't stream music or tether or do much of anything on it except chat on Gtalk and check Gmail and an Exchange account (probably 20 emails a day). I used on average ~85MB a month for 3 months.

13. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Could be Carrier IQ, could be other apps installed on the phone by the user, carrier, or manufacturer. Without knowing what phone the OP has and whats installed on it . . .

14. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

120mb so far this month, most of the time was just light websurfing or idle. I have international SGS2 (also flashed to CM7), no CIQ, so I have no idea how much bandwidth that thing takes.

15. snikt

snikt Member

I'm on the 200MB a month plan. I'm about to start my new month in a couple of days and I've only used 75MB. Not sure what's going on with your phone; intl. SGS2 for me.

When I'm at work I have access to any PC if I need Internet access because I work in IT. I have unlimited data on my BB from work. When at home I'm on wi-fi.

16. Binky

Binky Diamond Member

#15 Binky, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  17. JeffreyLebowski

What phone is it? HTC has there own embedded app that sends usage stats.

18. mammador

mammador Platinum Member

it could be background apps using data. In most Android versions, apps can use data even if not selected or loaded at the time. I only use my Android phone on wifi, or buy a specific time of mobile data (1 day or a week). I find with background apps, it sucks up my credit.

19. SaDiZTiKStyLeZ

Am glad I still have unl data plan. I been pulling nearly 20gig/month listening to stuff on Soundcloud.

20. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

I use a prepaid plan and monitor my data use daily, weekly, and monthly using 3G watchdog.
    I call shens on your entire statements.

You probably have malware on your phone, or it's a stupid app you(or the manufacturer) installed or something.

21. mammador

mammador Platinum Member

Some Android apps require a constant network (whether 3/4G or wifi) connection to download items. I think if one has a prepaid Android phone, then just use wifi.

22. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Pulse is one of them. I know because I use it.

23. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

I went over my 200MB limit once (streaming music all night; router failed and the connection switched to data) and paid for it. Now I use 3G Watchdog Pro and have it set to shut down 3G access if I get within 10MB of my limit, which I never do. If I can't get it via wireless, I do without.