Why do you guys like STALKER so much??

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: schizoid77
Yep, and now I'm at a part where there is this invisible dog or creature constantly attacking me, but the worst are these stupid canisters flying around killing me, and I haven't figured out a way to stop them....the boxes you could at least destroy, these flying canisters are pissing me off like no one's business.

Just don't stop moving and have impact/beed artifacts put on your belt. As for the invisible thing, you mean a ball of electricity? I don't think you can kill it and it doesn't chase you much.

schizoid77

Mar 4, 2008
Nah, I see the ball of electricity and it doesn't bother me, but in one room, there's an obvious dog-like creature and I can hear it attacking me, but I can't see it, maybe it's a glitch...I re-played yesterday and now I can actually see it.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
Yep, and now I'm at a part where there is this invisible dog or creature constantly attacking me, but the worst are these stupid canisters flying around killing me, and I haven't figured out a way to stop them....the boxes you could at least destroy, these flying canisters are pissing me off like no one's business.

Just don't stop moving and have impact/beed artifacts put on your belt. As for the invisible thing, you mean a ball of electricity? I don't think you can kill it and it doesn't chase you much.

you can actually kill those balls if you shoot it enough. The flying canisters and crap are caused by the poltergeist monsters and you gotta shoot them before it stops. Sometimes there's more than one so it'll seem like the things are still being thrown even though you just killed one of them.

Loved the atmosphere in that game. It was just brilliant.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: xSkyDrAx

Makes me wish they'd bring Resident Evil back. Not this button masher FPS crap.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
In one place you need to kill that ball of fire. You should be able to see a shimmering effect with the invisible critter. The flying cans area you just need to get through quickly, shooting the cans will buy you some more time.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: xSkyDrAx
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy

you can actually kill those balls if you shoot it enough. The flying canisters and crap are caused by the poltergeist monsters and you gotta shoot them before it stops. Sometimes there's more than one so it'll seem like the things are still being thrown even though you just killed one of them.

Hurray for people who aren't cheap on ammo like me:). The first time I went through Stalker, I didn't think it was possible to kill those balls of energy. So, I got pelted by everything, including guns from enemies I killed... Second time through, I read that you could shoot them. When I actually did, I was surprised at how ugly/big the monsters behind those balls were...

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: kirilus

For all who care about the real STALKER story: you guys keep saying Chernobyl, Chernobyl, Chernobyl... and I keep telling you that it was not the primary inspiration for the developers. The ZONE (anomalies, artifacts, stalkers, etc.) as an idea was created by two Russian writers (brothers Strugatsky) long before the Chernobyl NPP blew up. In the former Soviet Union the area of the disaster has become analogous to the Strugatskys' novel but these are two different things.

Thanks for the link. I just killed an afternoon reading the E-book.

Definitely a Sci-fi classic. :thumbsup:

Now I'm interested in the game, and usually I have no interest in FPS's.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
All I have to say is, its not (totally) brainless like CoD/CS/TF1-2/UT... and it strikes the core if you've got the equipment to make it really feel atmospheric. Faika's mod (with only 1.0004) + 5.1 surround = full experience I relive over and over and never get bored! :)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
The limitation on the inventory is the primary thing I hate.
There's plenty of space provided you don't try to hoard every single thing you find.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I don't know what it was with the game but I quit about 1/3 of the way thru.
It was the way the weapons worked or didn't and the way the enemy could take a LOT of damage in some parts of the game.
It just didn't work for me.

maybe it was the way I had 3 weapons of the same thing and a broken weapon...I could SWITCH to a broken weapon?
what about the one that I just picked up?

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: etrin
I don't know what it was with the game but I quit about 1/3 of the way thru.
It was the way the weapons worked or didn't and the way the enemy could take a LOT of damage in some parts of the game.
It just didn't work for me.

maybe it was the way I had 3 weapons of the same thing and a broken weapon...I could SWITCH to a broken weapon?
what about the one that I just picked up?

Sounds like you never figured out how to play the game.

Expect for the few rare weapons, you unload and drop (or hold on to sell if that is piratical) your current one in favor for the same type of/superior weapon which you scavenged that is in better condition. You do NOT hold onto 3 of the same type of weapon (can't tell why you did that from what you said). Also note that as you progress to new maps the NPC's start using different ammo, when you encounter this stash your old weapon and pick up one using the available ammo type (all stashes are permanent and you can store your stuff in them)

-edit- you may have overlooked ammo types or ammo altogether. This would explain why your weapons won't fire except when you switch to one you picked up that had a few rounds in it you didn't unload -edit-

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
STALKER would've been a very interesting game.

SADLY, i dont give a **** with games who cant even do Antialiasing. -----> Garbage Bin.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: flexy

SADLY, i dont give a **** with games who cant even do Antialiasing. -----> Garbage Bin.

Nice to know you put jaggies (not even graphics) over any aspect of a game...

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: flexy

You have until the bubble around "90% graphics, 10% gameplay" theory is discovered to be a bad idea to keep getting dream games such as crysis (which had its moments but could of been much more).

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: kirilus
The Zone is not for everyone, many people avoid it.

I installed STALKER for the fist time about six months ago. Didn't like it very much, but I felt it was different from other games, it was not cartoony like most mainstream games. After recently upgrading my PC I installed it again and read the tweak guide - the game is truly beautiful. I also watched the "Stalker" by Andrei Tarkovsky and studied the Chernobyl accident. I think that if you simply play the game as you would play COD of HL2 (like a regular shooter) without allocating any time on familiarizing yourself with the settings, storyline, idea behind the game, etc. - then STALKER may not seem a good game. But if you know (or at least cared to find out) why the character has bolts in his pocket, or that the idea of the Zone and Stalkers existed long before the Chernobyl accident... then you will see the game in a different light. Unfortunately, since Deus Ex the game world is dominated by brainless shooters and RPGs and the general public becomes more and more hostile to releases such as STALKER.

Listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about. ;)

Only thing is, I liked STALKER right from the start unlike him. This game is unique. It feels "old school" not like the crap we have to play these days.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I understand AA is a big deal for some people, but it seems like a lot of games can't do it anymore. No skin off my back, I barely notice any graphical improvement from it myself. I prefer AF.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I understand AA is a big deal for some people, but it seems like a lot of games can't do it anymore. No skin off my back, I barely notice any graphical improvement from it myself. I prefer AF.

Amen. AF is truly where the difference is at.

Nat