Why do you get fungus infections like athletes foot and crotch rot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got that when I was 16 working as a dishwasher. I used a denim apron that eventually let the water through, soaking the front of me. After that, I had to walk a few miles home, which didn't help..

No fun at all..

Decline ALL "foot jobs".. :D

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
You pegged it Heartsurgeon. When my area started getting irritated, I washed like a mofo and it didn't do anything, not even stop the burning.

Kids, don't wear sweaty jockey shorts for days on end. Don't try this at home, it's worse than any Jackass stunt unless you really want to piss off a room mate with the stench.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
both are types of fungi. Everyday, the body comes into contact with fungi, bacteria and other sh!t. What causes it to start to fester and grow is when it is able to find weaknesses in your skin, aka, cuts, scrapes, etc, so that it can lodge itself in and use the body's heat to grow. The reason it doesnt grow in your mouth, nose and stuff is because they get regularly cleaned out, by tears, saliva, mucus, etc. But your crotch is an ideally warm place on your body...as are your feet when they're in warm socks

SoylentGreen

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Mushroom walks into a bar.
Bartender yells "We don't serve your type here"
Mushroom retorts, "Why not? I'm a fun gi"

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
When i was in dorm at college and would get atheletes foot, i would dunk my infected foot in a basin of clorox. OMFG that sh1t would hurt but it would make the problem go away. i don't know that i'd wanna dunk my genitalia in a basin of clorox tho. probably be better to use some of the medicines that are available.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
from what I know, heartsurgeon really is a surgeon. And like he and I have told you, a fungal infection needs to be treated with medicine. Scrubbing and washing will not do it, see a dermatologist for the right medication and treatement.

Oh, and wear flip-flops in the gym and spray them when you can.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: Jfur
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
I've always heard that you contract athlete's foot from certain contact (thus the "sandals-in-the-shower" concept).

As for crotch rot, I've never heard of that condition before, but it sounds scary.

it is caused by fornication with the undead. be very careful!

for all you slow people fornication means having sex when your not married.

and the "undead" are zombies, not unmarried women :p

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
both are types of fungi. Everyday, the body comes into contact with fungi, bacteria and other sh!t. What causes it to start to fester and grow is when it is able to find weaknesses in your skin, aka, cuts, scrapes, etc, so that it can lodge itself in and use the body's heat to grow. The reason it doesnt grow in your mouth, nose and stuff is because they get regularly cleaned out, by tears, saliva, mucus, etc. But your crotch is an ideally warm place on your body...as are your feet when they're in warm socks

Yup, its warm and moist in both places, the perfect enviornment for bacteria...

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
candida albicans - it is EVERYWHERE
Yes, it is, but athlete's foot, ringworm, and jock itch are caused by dermatophytes (tinea), which are different from yeasts (candida). Treatment efficacy can vary depending on the family of fungus. What works well for candida may not work well for tinea, and vice versa. Also, candida is far more likely to be found in the presence of some immunocompromised state/condition, while perfectly healthy people can and do commonly get tinea infections.

Edit: I found some good info...

DEFINITIONS

Human fungal infections may be divided into topical skin and systemic. This discussion will concern itself only with the former. Fungal skin infections include dermatophytes (Greek word meaning 'skin plants") and the yeast-like fungus Candida albicans, confined to superficial skin and mucous membranes.

CONFUSING TERMINOLOGY

The dermatophytes are a group of fungi responsible for the so called "ring-worm" infections. It is very easy to become totally confused with the terminology used in relation to fungal infections. The term "ring-worm," followed by "of the feet, of the groin, of the scalp," etc., is a simple way of indicating the location of the infection. If you feel more classical (Latino is very now and happening) you may use the term 'tinea' (Latin meaning "a gnawing worm") followed by "pedis, cruris, capitus," etc. Dermatophyte infections affect the skin, hair and nails. The living epidermis layer of the skin is not invaded. The infection is usually acquired by contact with keratin debris carrying fungal hyphae. Both Athlete's Foot and nail fungus are uncommon before puberty.

ATHLETE'S FOOT

Now, Athlete's Foot (Tinea Pedis) is the commonest of the dermatophyte ('ring-worm') infections, and usually presents as scaling, itchy areas in the web spaces between the toes, particularly between the 4th and 5th toes. it is usually acquired from contact with infected keratin debris on the floors of swimming-pools and showers. This infection may spread locally onto the soles of the foot or the top of the foot as itchy, scaling reddened area. Athlete's foot typically involves only 1 foot, whereas other foot eczemas often involve both. Other similar looking conditions such as psoriasis, erythrasma, and foot dermatitis should be differentiated by your attending medical physician prior to therapy.

NAIL FUNGUS

Toenail fungus (Onychomycosis or Tinea Unguium) is very common in adults, and is invariably associated with Athlete's foot. The toenail involvement usually starts at the end of the nail (distally) as yellowish streaks in the nail plate, but gradually the whole nail becomes thickened, and tan colored crumbly debris accumulates beneath the separated portion of the nail. The big toes are often the first to be involved, and pressure from footwear on the thickened nails may produce considerable discomfort. Your doctor (whom we'll assume is also a 'Pro') should differentiate whether you do indeed have nail fungus as opposed to other disorders which may appear similar (e.g. psoriasis, candidiasis (yeast), lichen planus or hereditary nail dystrophies to name a few). Treatments of each of these is different, so you should have your toe(s) checked out accordingly. Fingernails are less commonly affected. The changes in the nail plate are similar to those seen in toenails.

JOCK ITCH

Also called Tinea cruris, is mainly a fungal infection of adult males and is usually accompanied by Athlete's foot. Mode of transmission is almost invariably from bathtowels, wiping groin after drying feet. The nasty mean red rash involves the groin folds and inner thighs and may extend to the back buttock crease. The penis and scrotum are not involved.

SCALP RINGWORM

Tinea capitis, or ring-worm of the scalp, is mainly a disease of children characterized by focal scaling and hair loss.

DIAGNOSIS

Presumptive diagnosis is made on clinical grounds (inspection by a physician) and confirmed with scrapings. Skin scrapings, nail clippings and plucked hair can be examined by your physician or collected and sent off to a laboratory for fungal analysis. Differentiating dermatophytes ('ring-worm') from Candida ('yeast') is left to the physician as their treatments vary. Dermatophyte fungi consists of septate hyphae which form a branching network (mycelium or 'long rows of railway wagons' appearance when seen under low power microscopy with 10 - 20 % KOH and a coverslip, whereas Candida albicans (yeast) consists of round or oval cells which divide by budding and may produce pseudohyphae in a linear arrangement under KOH treated slide microscopy. If you wait for definitive culture results from a lab it takes 2 to 6 weeks.

TREATMENT OF FUNGUS (DERMATOPHYTES)

1. GENERAL: Now, Pro, continuous treatment of chronic palm or sole fungus (Athlete's foot) possibly decreases the likelihood of spread to nail fungus which is very difficult to cure. A word of caution Pro; well-established onychomycosis is difficult to cure, often with a poor prognosis and significant possibility of relapse, not to mention the high cost of therapy, or high risk of side effects with less expensive oral agents.

After discussing your situation with your doctor, you may decide to forgo treatment. Regardless, try to keep the nail neatly clipped and buffed flat (with file or pumice stone) for both cosmetic appearance and to prevent painful pressure by shoes.

2. TOPICAL THERAPY: There are a number of broad-spectrum topical antifungal agents available for the treatment of dermatophyte infections, including miconazole 2% (Monistat-Derm, Micatin), clotrimazole (Lotrimin)1%, Naftifine (Naftin), ketoconazole (Nizoral), ciclopirox (Loprox), Iodoquinol (Vioform Hydrocortisone) and terbinafine (Lamisil). These agents are usually applied thinly, twice daily until clearing occurs and 2 weeks longer to minimize recurrence. It's best to use cream delivery system if the infected area is dry. Solutions, lotions and aerosols are best for moist areas (groin or toe web spaces) or hairy areas, because they leave little residue and are drying.

Powders are poor delivery vehicles for antifungal agents. As already mentioned, first use solutions in moist areas; a bland powder (talc) should then be used if necessary to reduce chaffing. Antifungal powders are effective for prophylaxis and prevention of fungal spread from web space areas.

For very symptomatic, scaly or very itchy areas are to be treated with cool compresses. Topical steroid creams in combination with the above antifungals gives rapid symptomatic relief and does not affect or reduce the antifungal efficacy or cure rate.

Most topical antifungals are available in 15- and 30-gm sizes, and a few are available in 60- or 90-gm sizes. Lamisil, Naftin, Nizoral, and Spectazole may be more cost effective because they are approved for once-daily use, whereas the other products must be applied twice daily. Naftifine (Naftin) and terbinifine (Lamisil) are cidal (fungal killing) rather than static (prevent further proliferation and growth), so they may work faster than the other agents.

3. SYSTEMIC THERAPY: Systemic antifungal agents (e.g. pills) are indicated if the infection is:

i. On the scalp or in a very hairy area
ii. Widespread
iii. Resistant to the above topical measures
iv. In the nails (finger or toe)

Most topical agents are of little if any benefit for nail fungus. For nail fungus really need systemic therapy, but then again be aware of high relapse rates (80%) for toenails within a few years after therapy is stopped. Relapse rate lower (50%) for fingernails.

a. Griseofulvin

For many years griseofulvin was the gold-standard oral antifungal agent. The original preparation was of a large particle size requiring large doses; 1 to 2 grams daily by mouth. This has been superseded by a smaller particle sized tablet, which is better absorbed and taken in smaller doses.

- Micronized, microsize, or ultra-fine form is taken in a dose of 500 to 1000mg daily (usually divided in a twice-daily dose)
- Ultramicronized form is taken in a dose of 125 mg twice daily

Response to griseofulvin is slow; clinical improvement is not seen for 1 to 2 weeks. Most infections require 4 to 6 weeks, or 1 to 2 weeks after apparent clearing. Topical steroid creams may be given in the meantime to relieve itching without compromising efficacy or cure. Fungal resistance to this drug can occur.

Side effects of greseofulvin are common and numerous and include the following:

- Gastrointestinal upset (common), which can be severe
- Headache, usually unresponsive to aspirin
- Mood changes, anorexia, insomnia, and nightmares
- Numbness of your hands and feet
- Allergic rashes
- affects the liver which alters blood levels if concurrently taking blood thinners (coumadin), anti-epileptic agents (Phenobarbital), oral contraceptives and other drugs
- reported cases of bone marrow suppression (aplastic anemia) has been reported with early usages of this agent but uncommon nowadays
- chronic administration in rats has produced liver cancers (hepatomas)

b. Ketoconazole (Nizoral)

Nizoral is active against systemic fungal infections, Candida, dermatophytes and deep fungal infections. The adult dose is 200 mg (one tablet) daily.

Side effects occur in less than 5% of patients; the most common problems are stomach upset and generalized itchiness (pruritus). Transient rises in liver enzymes levels have been reported in some patients, so your doctor should monitor your blood liver function while on this medication. Care should be taken in prescribing Nizoral to patients likely to be at risk of intolerance, including older women, those with a history of liver disease, and those patients taking other concurrent drugs affecting the same liver pathways as those mentioned above in the Griseofulvin section.

c. Terbinafine (Lamisil)

Lamisil has been approved for the treatment of nail fungus (onychomycosis). Available in 250 mg tablets, the recommended dosage is one tablet daily for 6 weeks for fingernail fungus and 12 weeks for toenails. A common alternative schedule is 1 tablet twice daily for one week, repeated once a month for 4 months. The first schedule consumes 84 pills; the second, 56. This is a significant cost savings with similar cure rates, as the price per pill is about $7.00 per pill! Unlike the above oral anti-fungals, Lamisil has little potential for causing liver disease and does not interact with other drugs using the liver enzymes as mentioned above. It can occasionally cause stomach upset however.

d. Fluconazole (Diflucan)

Diflucan is approved for systemic candidiasis, but it is also effective against dermatophytes. A brief dose is deposited into the keratin of the skin and nails, so benefit may increase after treatment has stopped. It does not appear to have the liver side-effects as do Greseofulvin or Nizoral mentioned above. Other side-effects are also far and few. Skin fungal infections are treated with 100 mg daily for 1 to 3 weeks. A common course for nail fungus (onychomycosis) is 150 mg once weekly for 6 to 12 months or until the nails are clear. Doses come in 50 mg; 100 mg; 150 mg; and 200 mg capsules. This is also expensive each capsule costs about $15 before dispensing.

e. Itraconazole (Sporanox)

Sporanox is approved for deep fungal infections in the immunocompromised host and also for nail fungus (onychomycosis), but it is also effective against dermatophyte (ring-worm) infections and yeasts. For dermatophyte infections, a dosage of 200 mg daily for 1 to 2 weeks is commonly used and successful. For nail fungus, a popular regimen is 200 mg twice daily for a week, then once a month for 3 months. Once again, not cheap stuff, costs about $7.00 per 100 mg tablet.

4. SURGICAL THERAPY: Nail avulsion. You can't heal without cold steel, so we yank out the nail which hopefully (with some luck) allows a 'normal' nail to grow again in its place. This can be done in your doctor's office as an out-patient with topical ring block anesthesia (without epinephrine). This is painful surgery, especially administering the anesthetic. The relapse rate is high with this method, especially if more than 1 nail is involved or if the sole is involved and not treated. If you decide to go this route, then you should really treat the regrowing nailbed with topical antifungal solution or even consider oral antifungal agent during the regrowth period.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
i stand by my comments.

keep you crotch and feet dry

use an antifungal cream or powder (medicated, not "gold bond" powder)

washing with soap won't fix it.

candida is the most common fungus involved.

i see this all the time in people who are not immunocompromised, just overweight and sweaty with moisture trapped in skin folds (beneath pendulous breasts in ladies, and beneath a floppy panniculus (gut roll) in men and women), and in the groin in both men and women (even on the scrotum and penis - nasty!)