Why do you care so much about the news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I see a lot of people get out of shape and angry over politics. It's like they themselves are personally fighting the battle. People fight over politics domestically, they fight over events internationally and everything else in between. Why?

First of all, do we realize that we ONLY see the news that the media wants us to see? Whatever they deem is "news," is news. If they decide that Paris Hilton's latest hairstyle is newsworthy, that's what will be presented. So your getting news that is heavily filtered by biased people. That is news.

And why do you care so much about it that your willing to argue with others? Your both likely going to be repeating something others have said. Therefore, your both likely going to be ignorant of the actuality. Yet, your arguing and creating animosity among each other instead of living your own lives.

For instance, the news about terrorism. Imagine if the media was not covering events supposedly taking place 7,000 miles away. Would you get bent out of shape and worry about it? Probably not. But with the instant news coverage we have now, all these events are now being brought to you by the media. And you can't get enough of it. You want this. You have news apps on your phone so you can stay on top of this "news."

Why? Is what's happening in your own life not as newsworthy as the news brought to you by the media? Why are we giving so much power and control to the so-called news generation media?

It's like a drug I think. We crave instant information, whether it's Paris Hilton's hairstyle or the latest news from across the world. We think we actually know what's going on because we read it. Or because some reporter or some anchor on the nightly news told us.

I've seen it mentioned before so I will repeat it, "We know more and more about less and less."

So if you guys want to discuss why you care about the news, it would be good I think.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You have to search for news. If you are getting your news given to you, then it's going to be skewed by those who are giving it.
I don't watch TV, but when I go to the gym, they have CNN on. Despite my best effort to not watch any of it, I usually get a glance of what they are talking about. Last time it was some sh!t about ISIS which they are only showing because it's shocking, but in reality tens of thousands more Americans die every year from car accidents or from not getting medical care due to lack of insurance, and other stuff we should really be hearing about but won't be. Then it was something about some dude who wants to be a chick who killed some old geezer with his SUV. Could have been of interest to me if they talked about safety of SUV to car collisions. But instead it was all about that dude's private parts, or impending lack thereof. And that was that for the hour I was there.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You seem to have multiple misconceptions. First, that politics, terrorism and, like events only affect those directly involved or politicians. Second, that nothing that's not directly experienced by the individual has an impact on that person's life. And finally, that those who actually care about Paris Hilton's hairstyle are somehow less worthy of consideration than those who do not. Also, wtf does distance have to do with violent acts of cruelty or terrorism? Your reasoning is flawed, your rant is lame and, your perspective is isolationist.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
You have to search for news. If you are getting your news given to you, then it's going to be skewed by those who are giving it.
I don't watch TV, but when I go to the gym, they have CNN on. Despite my best effort to not watch any of it, I usually get a glance of what they are talking about. Last time it was some sh!t about ISIS which they are only showing because it's shocking, but in reality tens of thousands more Americans die every year from car accidents or from not getting medical care due to lack of insurance, and other stuff we should really be hearing about but won't be. Then it was something about some dude who wants to be a chick who killed some old geezer with his SUV. Could have been of interest to me if they talked about safety of SUV to car collisions. But instead it was all about that dude's private parts, or impending lack thereof. And that was that for the hour I was there.

It's what we want to watch. Anything of substance or something where we actually use our mind for more than 5 seconds, we don't want it.

The news channels want to give us things that shock us rather than truly inform us. It's all a bunch of distractions. But if we did not want to be distracted, I doubt these sources of news would get as much attention as they get. Thanks.

Last edited:

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
You seem to have multiple misconceptions. First, that politics, terrorism and, like events only affect those directly involved or politicians. Second, that nothing that's not directly experienced by the individual has an impact on that person's life. And finally, that those who actually care about Paris Hilton's hairstyle are somehow less worthy of consideration than those who do not. Also, wtf does distance have to do with violent acts of cruelty or terrorism? Your reasoning is flawed, your rant is lame and, your perspective is isolationist.

Your assuming a lot and making quick judgements. I never said anyone was less worthy. But, it's OK. This is the internet and that's fine. I think we're done here.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Your assuming a lot and making quick judgements. I never said anyone was less worthy. But, it's OK. This is the internet and that's fine. I think we're done here.

And yet, you refute nothing. Only trolls believe negatives prove anything.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I just saw another false facebook "viral news story" that was completely false and completely misleading. What's sad is that you can read dozens of comments below it, taking it as pure peer-reviewed news from a competent reporting agency.

All it takes is one google search to completely unfound 90% of those stories...yet most are either unwilling, lazy, or gullible to do it.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I care about the news because if not enough people care we get people, who aren't aware of other more credible sources, taking Fox News, CNN, MSNBC and other T.V. news seriously without questioning their motives for spin...

Also people who don't care about the news are more likely to accept that gossip about whichever celebrity is actual "news" people should care about instead of who benefits or profits from whatever domestic or foreign policy issue elected officials are currently working on.

If you don't care about the news you get a sleeping population while oligarchs have more fun...

or as a great wise Philosopher put it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q&t=1m21s

The owners of this country know the truth... it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You don't believe in discussion. Your far too eager to make assumptions and call names. So thanks for your participation in this thread. Have a nice day.

First, I discussed the points you made. Second, show me where I called you or anyone names? Lastly, I agree it's difficult to have a discussion when there is an apparent lack of reading comprehension by the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.