Why do the Feds pay our Representatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccbadd

Jan 19, 2004
Why is it that our federal employees, Congressman and Senators, get paid by the federal government? Shouldn't the state legislatures pay them and have control over their pay? How do they work for the people of the states but get paid by someone else?

superccs

Dec 29, 2004
The money they receive from special interests should cover their expenses. They have done no work so they should not receive funds from the state or federal coffers.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Why is it that our federal employees, Congressman and Senators, get paid by the federal government? Shouldn't the state legislatures pay them and have control over their pay? How do they work for the people of the states but get paid by someone else?

They get paid by the people. We also hire and fire them why involve political horse trading into the mix?

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
How is it that our federal employees get paid by the federal government?

Are we seriously discussing this question?

ccbadd

Jan 19, 2004
How is it that our federal employees get paid by the federal government?

Are we seriously discussing this question?

They may be Federal Employees, but they should be completely responsible to the people that elected them. They should not get to be the ones that actually set their own pay rates! I think state legislatures should also maintain an ethics board that our federal representatives are responsible to.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
They may be Federal Employees, but they should be completely responsible to the people that elected them. They should not get to be the ones that actually set their own pay rates! I think state legislatures should also maintain an ethics board that our federal representatives are responsible to.

Any pay adjustments are not applicable to that session of Congress.

Disparity in pay would make it much easier for a lobbyist.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Disparity in pay would make it much easier for a lobbyist.
I respectfully disagree:) It wouldn't make it easier for lobbyists because Congress legislates for the entire country and because a lobbyist would have to lobby most of the States' legislatures as opposed to just 535 members of Congress.

members of Congress should not be allowed to vote to raise their salary in any way.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I also wonder why Verizon employees get paid by Verizon. It just does not seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.