Why do some people get so passionate about unjust lawsuits

Mar 15, 2003
I'm just curious, every time I read something about a new class action lawsuit, people start shouting angrily about how b.s. lawsuits piss them off and how some bums should just get jobs and yada yada yada. What's with all the passion? Yes, silly lawsuits do occur but there are also some justified ones, just the soundbites that we read might trivialize matters (or just because you don't experience something doesn't mean it doesn't happen, i.e. the Xbox360 disk scratching fiasco).

So, why the anger? I understand, it's silly when someone sues Wendy's for a finger being in their chilli, a finger they themselves put in there. But, even if that one case is filed by a total tool (and those do get thrown out of courts, with criminal fraud charges usually being filed), why does it bother people so much?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
I'm just curious, every time I read something about a new class action lawsuit, people start shouting angrily about how b.s. lawsuits piss them off and how some bums should just get jobs and yada yada yada. What's with all the passion? Yes, silly lawsuits do occur but there are also some justified ones, just the soundbites that we read might trivialize matters (or just because you don't experience something doesn't mean it doesn't happen, i.e. the Xbox360 disk scratching fiasco).

So, why the anger? I understand, it's silly when someone sues Wendy's for a finger being in their chilli, a finger they themselves put in there. But, even if that one case is filed by a total tool (and those do get thrown out of courts, with criminal fraud charges usually being filed), why does it bother people so much?

1) its abusing the system
2) it waste taxpayers money
3) its really stupid to file a lawsuit on some of them. the $54 mill pants are a good one.
4) it raises the cost of goods/services for me.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Abuse of the system by both the lawyers and people filing frivolous lawsuits cost all of us in the end in just about ever aspect of life these days. It should anger more people as we are all being burdened with these extra costs.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

Because it ends up costing us money and in some cases results in products and activities some of us enjoy and assume the risks of being made unavailable to all of us.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
The problem with class actions is where the money actually goes.

I got a DRAM anti-trust class action in the mail today, the lawyers will get 25% of approximately $350 million.

:Q

Viper GTS

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My biggest issue with class action lawsuits is that of the 400 million that is gained from it, 300 million goes back to the lawyers. I see it as more of a money earning issue driven by lawyers than any sort of actual justice served to the people that actually got screwed.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
It bogs down the legal system unnecessarily. It encourages people to sue in a situation where they might have worked out their differences face to face, which means now business and even people in general have to waste time with CYA so they don't get sued. It uses our tax money frivolously. Sometimes it results in a ridiculous ruling that sets a bad precedent.

You don't have to have a law degree to understand that frivolous lawsuits are a problem.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
My biggest issue with class action lawsuits is that of the 400 million that is gained from it, 300 million goes back to the lawyers. I see it as more of a money earning issue driven by lawyers than any sort of actual justice served to the people that actually got screwed.

or the lawyers get all $400 and the "victims" get a %10 off coupon for the next purchase.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
because lawyers have a vested interested in these frivolous lawsuits. Even if they lose, they are still making money. If they win, jackpot.

Maybe they should make it so that lawyers can only make money if they actually WIN the case. That way lawyers would carefully choose cases that has merit. (obviously I am only talking about civil cases)

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
The problem with class actions is where the money actually goes.

I got a DRAM anti-trust class action in the mail today, the lawyers will get 25% of approximately $350 million.

:Q

Viper GTS

Class action lawsuits are a joke..

I can claim a part of 7 different class action suits just from Jan - June of this year. Including the DRAM one. The lawyers make off like bandits. The only cash Im likely to receive is from the DRAM suit.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy

3) its really stupid to file a lawsuit on some of them. the $54 mill pants are a good one.

:thumbsup:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Do you have any idea how much this costs taxpayers?

Courts aren't free to operate. Infact its quite expensive. Thats why people take offense to it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
When I read through my 10,000 paged law book from school, I can tell you one of the most common words was "reasonable". You don't need to a law degree to understand reason.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy

+

=

MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THE SYSTEM AND HOW THINGS WORK.

Only people seeing any benefit are the millionaire lawyers. The people actually damaged never see much if any of the money.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I don't have a problem with lawyers receiving a fair chunk of change in class action lawsuits, as they're the ones compiling the information, interviewing (when necessary) the clients, submitting the necessary paperwork, etc. As such, they deserve fair compensation for their time.

The problem comes in defining exactly what "fair" means.

MagicConch

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: vi_edit

qft, this is why even useful class action lawsuits are so disappointing to see b/c the people who got taken advantage of in the first place are also getting screwed by their lawyers.