Why do some men go bald and why aren't women hairy?

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
1. I ask because the bald factor passes through the mother's, not the father's, genes. Why do some people go bald while others do not? Any natural advantages/disadvantages? How come women don't go bald?

2. If being hairy is positive in certain regions (to retain heat), how come women don't become hairy? Why don't they grow beards? Is it because it would be unattractive to the opposite sex?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Women can go bald.

As for mother natures decisions, I did hear some theories from some samrt friends of mine once.
But I cant remember them now. :(

n19htmare

Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Narmer
1. I ask because the bald factor passes through the mother's, not the father's, genes. Why do some people go bald while others do not? Any natural advantages/disadvantages? How come women don't go bald?

Not true.
My mom's side doesnt have anyone with hair loss. My grandpa (mom's side) is 80 and has FULL hair with not a slightest of hair loss, same with my uncles (mom's brothers)... my grandma's (mom's side) doesnt have hair loss either.

My dad started losing hair when he was 23 and is bald now... my grandpa (dad's side) is bald too and so on...

My mom's side has no hair loss, my dad's side does. But yet, i'm starting to lose hair and most likely will go bald... time so start shaving my head :)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
hairy isn't positive, even the hairiest people don't have enough to help stay warm. u gotta have a pretty thick pelt before it actually holds any warm air in.

sex selection. hairless favored for breeding. sometimes sexual selection for other traits might bring along other effects as well. theres that case where a russian scientist bred fox's for a couple generations selecting only for how docile/friendly they were around humans. the foxes ended up with floppy ears different color fur and other stuff as well. different level hormones or whatever. http://www.exn.ca/Templates/Story.cfm?ID=1999033055

baldness might be a side effect that isn't strongly selected against enough to be bred out. usually by the time people go bald they've been in reproductive age for quite a few years aleady, so the genes have been passed on already.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
2. We have slowly evovolved to have less and less hair anyway and as you can see even in most orientals or africans, males are relatively hairless also.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: n19htmare

Not true.
My mom's side doesnt have anyone with hair loss. My grandpa (mom's side) is 80 and has FULL hair with not a slightest of hair loss, same with my uncles (mom's brothers)... my grandma's (mom's side) doesnt have hair loss either.

My dad started losing hair when he was 23 and is bald now... my grandpa (dad's side) is bald too and so on...

My mom's side has no hair loss, my dad's side does. But yet, i'm starting to lose hair and most likely will go bald... time so start shaving my head :)

What I said was why do women's, not men's, genes determine whether or not their son is going bald. Her brothers and fathers may have hair, but it was dependent on the mothers in those cases, not the men.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: n19htmare

Not true.

What I said was why do women's, not men's, genes determine whether or not their son is going bald. Her brothers and fathers may have hair, but it was dependent on the mothers in those cases, not the men.

The Straight Dope

ur welcome.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

2. If being hairy is positive in certain regions (to retain heat), how come women don't become hairy? Why don't they grow beards? Is it because it would be unattractive to the opposite sex?

Just shows ya that life ain't fair.