Why do so many people have dogs/cats and pets in general?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 4, 2004
I don't know whether I've had a lot of cats over the years for the companionship or the entertainment value. Maybe a bit of both.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: JMapleton
See, then it appears as a different kind of play. With dogs, I really think they enjoy to play, much moreso than cats.

It depends. My cats will bring me toys to play with them. So they do WANT to play. Most all animals want to "play". It's what keeps them sharp. Even humans love to play.

My mom's Siamese is the same way.

One of my cats enjoys playing "fetch" with me.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Not like cats who think you're there to serve them. Maybe thats why freaky people who don't have human companionship get cats.

Cats I do not understand. They do not respond as well as dogs and cats are rarely fun.

I often get the impression that cats do not "play" at all, when we think they're playing with us. But they think they're really trying to hurt something or are disturbed by what it might actually be (feather toy or something like that).

my cats act like dogs, follow you around, are excited as shit when i come home from work, never shut up, play all the time,....

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: alkemyst
Since you are so interested have you read any books on the subject?

Most that own pets aren't looking for control at all, they are looking for something that can accept them wholeheartedly and the calming affect that provides.

However as a level 80 feral night-elf druid I may be a bit biased, but if you disagree I will RAWR your ass.

The bolded part is what you want from a pet. The control you have over them is absolute, even if all you use it to gain is that. If they don't give it to you then what do you do to them? The answer is generally whatever you want, including having them put down if all else fails. Absolute control.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Not like cats who think you're there to serve them. Maybe thats why freaky people who don't have human companionship get cats.

Cats I do not understand. They do not respond as well as dogs and cats are rarely fun.

I often get the impression that cats do not "play" at all, when we think they're playing with us. But they think they're really trying to hurt something or are disturbed by what it might actually be (feather toy or something like that).

Yep, cats are vicious creatures. They either want to cuddle up with you or kill something. They're also druggies - give them a little kitty cocaine (any cat owner knows what this is) and they go crazy. It's fun to watch.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante

Yep, cats are vicious creatures. They either want to cuddle up with you or kill something. They're also druggies - give them a little kitty cocaine (any cat owner knows what this is) and they go crazy. It's fun to watch.

All you need is a little laser.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'm a person who often likes to ponder the psychological basis for people's behavior. It seems these days more and more people have pets especially dogs, much more so than you would have seen 20 years ago. I've seen it gets even to the point where people who live in inconvenient living situations such as apartment buildings or with roommates still insist on having a dog.

Why do people want a pet? Is it a psychological urge of wanting to feel like you have domain or control over another living being? Is it a sense of loneliness?

I think animals are fun, but there is a line that is crossed when this object of entertainment or psychological comfort becomes not worth having. You have to feed it, walk it, supply it with certain necessities, withstand having your home relatively uncleanly (compared to most without animals), allow it to relieve itself, and generally create a home that is safe for the animal or safe for your possessions (out of the animals ability to ruin). I think having a full time pool filled with jello and whipped cream would be fun, but it certainly is not worth the upkeep. Is it really worth it for an animal, or has society just become so in love with the notion of having complete domain over another living creature that we have collectively blinded ourselves from the inconvenience of having an "pet."

"you're my, now I can control you."

Thoughts on this, or am I just weird?

What do you propose? We let all the animals run free so they can breed uncontrolled, rummage through your trash looking for some scraps of nourishment, fight and kill each other and eat the carcasses, and then eventually die of starvation anyway? Does that sound preferable to living in a home with people who look after their well being, feed them, show them love and give them a sense of belonging to a pack?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
I like dogs. They provide companionship. They'll protect the house, protect me and my family, accompany me on runs and a range of other roles that you can't expect a human or robot (yet?). All this while not expecting the world of you. Those toy dogs don't count. They're toys and from what I've seen, people who get them usually treat them as toys that eat and shit instead of a living being.

I :heart: my cats.

:p Reference to the cat people who have like 7+ in a small home and live alone.

I :heart: all my cats who fit in my small home.

I live in a small house but I don't live alone :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I see it from your perspective, JMapleton. Some people have suggested I get a cat, several, but I know about the downside:

Cat hair all over.
Feed it.
Get it shots and neutered.
Vet bills.
When I go away for a few days or longer I have to worry about the creature's well being.
The cat might get run over if allowed outside, and will be a limited creature if always kept in the house.
Noise at night (my sister has to wear ear plugs to keep from getting wakened by her cat).
Cat can run away, maybe to reappear, maybe not. If it does, you are worried about it the whole time.

These are a lot of negatives and I'd have to accept all of them if I get a cat. most of these hold for dogs except that dogs are worse in a lot of ways. They stink, they climb up your leg (the males), they slobber, they are dirty and scratch up your floors with their paws, they bark sometimes to absolute distraction, they bite people.

And, they eventually die.

I prefer a woman, but finding a woman to live and be happy with is a lot harder than getting a pet. Noone gives a flying fuck about the animals you choose to live with, except maybe your landlord or other people you live with. Finding an SO is another story altogether. :D

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002

Wrong.
My cat, Killer, will chase a ball and return it to me, just like a dog.

Brutus04

Jul 30, 2007
Its a special kind of love. Why would someone want to get married? Are they worth the trouble? : - /
Animals are unique, just like you.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: AreaCode707
As soon as I was in a house with a yard though, I found a dog. Humans are built for relationship, not just with other humans but also with animals. It satisfies a very deep and primal need in people to care for animals and observe their behavior.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people do not care for their animals very well. Many will lock them in very small cages or fenced in areas where they cannot run or follow their innate behavior.

This is what leads me to suspect there is a large portion of people out there, that I think are satisfying an innate desire to "rule" over something or someone. This may stem from trouble work or personal relationships where they have little relative authority (they cannot convince their wive of something they want or they rule over no one at their workplace instead taking orders).

Hahahaha. God, you're an idiot.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
As soon as I was in a house with a yard though, I found a dog. Humans are built for relationship, not just with other humans but also with animals. It satisfies a very deep and primal need in people to care for animals and observe their behavior.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people do not care for their animals very well. Many will lock them in very small cages or fenced in areas where they cannot run or follow their innate behavior.

This is what leads me to suspect there is a large portion of people out there, that I think are satisfying an innate desire to "rule" over something or someone. This may stem from trouble work or personal relationships where they have little relative authority (they cannot convince their wive of something they want or they rule over no one at their workplace instead taking orders).

Naw, he's just not a very acute observer of animals, people or, the world around him. I do give him points for trying to grasp the complexities of pet ownership regardless of failing miserably though.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

Naw, he's just not a very acute observer of animals, people or, the world around him. I do give him points for trying to grasp the complexities of pet ownership regardless of failing miserably though.

The idea of "ruling" over cats is just plain ridiculous. The cat brain doesn't work that way. One can be nice to a cat or be mean to a cat but one can't dominate a cat, it simply doesn't understand the concept.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Muse
I see it from your perspective, JMapleton. Some people have suggested I get a cat, several, but I know about the downside:

Cat hair all over.
Feed it.
Get it shots and neutered.
Vet bills.
When I go away for a few days or longer I have to worry about the creature's well being.
The cat might get run over if allowed outside, and will be a limited creature if always kept in the house.
Noise at night (my sister has to wear ear plugs to keep from getting wakened by her cat).
Cat can run away, maybe to reappear, maybe not. If it does, you are worried about it the whole time.

These are a lot of negatives and I'd have to accept all of them if I get a cat. most of these hold for dogs except that dogs are worse in a lot of ways. They stink, they climb up your leg (the males), they slobber, they are dirty and scratch up your floors with their paws, they bark sometimes to absolute distraction, they bite people.

And, they eventually die.

I prefer a woman, but finding a woman to live and be happy with is a lot harder than getting a pet. Noone gives a flying fuck about the animals you choose to live with, except maybe your landlord or other people you live with. Finding an SO is another story altogether. :D

just comparing a pet to finding a SO is idiotic you realize right?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Since you are so interested have you read any books on the subject?

Most that own pets aren't looking for control at all, they are looking for something that can accept them wholeheartedly and the calming affect that provides.

However as a level 80 feral night-elf druid I may be a bit biased, but if you disagree I will RAWR your ass.

The bolded part is what you want from a pet. The control you have over them is absolute, even if all you use it to gain is that. If they don't give it to you then what do you do to them? The answer is generally whatever you want, including having them put down if all else fails. Absolute control.

no ... if you are a proper pet owner you get this without anything else.

Doesn't take much...feed, give water, pet them in the morning, play with them at night.

Are you trying to justify yourself putting pets to sleep? jesus christ man! Just pay attention to them.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

That play from a cat is how the mother teaches her kittens how to hunt and kill. It's no wonder that they like to do it with us because we are seen as mother.

See, then it appears as a different kind of play. With dogs, I really think they enjoy to play, much moreso than cats.

Dogs have more overt body language and facial expressions that are more easily read by humans, compared with cats. Also, cats simply play less (generally) than dogs.

it's because most get a dog and walk it, most get a cat and throw it out back.

Cats with proper attention are very doglike as far as loving their owners. Everyone of my cats back to 1984 as followed me around the house.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I got my dog only to fatten up and eventually sell to some Koreans. I need some extra money in this economy.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: zerocool84
I got my dog only to fatten up and eventually sell to some Koreans. I need some extra money in this economy.

dude you shtick of eating dog and cats is old. If you are seriously let us know so the mods can ban you.