Why do so many people have dogs/cats and pets in general?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
People like to have companionship and take care of things. When young people buy pets and subsequently have kids their pets get almost universally ignored (even though when you tell them this beforehand they tell you this won't happen, but it will). Later, when their kids get old they realize they want pets again so then you get older people buying cats/dogs and caring about them as much as before they had human kids. I hear grown ups get upset about problems their pets have and think "do you have kids?" and realize that either they don't or the kids are grown, which is why they have the emotional money available to get truly upset at pet problems.

Yes, I'm awful.

Poor generalization. I've seen instances where this has happened, and also when it has not.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Pets do require feeding, care, and sometimes inconvenience. But they give so much more in return. I don't have any indoor pets. I have 3 cats outside, currently slightly bigger than kittens. I have to feed them every day, make sure they have water, and protect them from the cold if it gets too cold.

Today I was having an off day . I was sitting here and looked out the sliding glass doors and the cats were on the patio playing. One was tackling the other and knocked his brother into the cactus nearby, the cat on the cactus jumped a couple feet in the air and landed on his brother, crushing him in a winning blow ! That immediately changed how I was feeling. Just watching them sometimes lowers my blood pressure.

Then it was time to feed them again. They all line up at the door, side by side and just sit and stare. Then when I go to feed them they all want to be petted and sometimes want to play. They don't care about what kind of day I am having, what I'm wearing , etc. They are always there , ready to be what they are, my kittens.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: JMapleton
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
I actually do agree with this - IDT animals have a "love" emotion like humans do. That said, there is friendship, bonding, and belonging. Many humans who claim "love" toward another do not demonstrate these behaviors.

Although I think there is an innate sense and ability to love within each and every human being, I think the troubles of society make it difficult to for even many humans to fully express "love." Let alone an animal.

Society has nothing to do with it. Many humans are not equipped to give love.

I disagree, love I believe is sown in the hearts of every human being.

It is the troubles of society that cloud and distort the outside of a man to hide that love/or potential to love.

Read your history, dude. Go back to the ancient Greek/Roman/Egyptian days, "love" often gets tossed as soon as it's inconvenient. That's why the few love stories are so revered; they are the exception, not the norm.

Edit: Really, it sounds to me that you are itching for a definition of "love". The human definition of love may not jive with the dog/cat/etc definition, but that does not cause invalidation.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I agree with you, OP, that there are times the tradeoff isn't worth it. When I was in an apartment it would have taken several extra hours of effort every day to ensure the pet was taken care of properly, and that would have removed any tangible (stress-lowering, happiness-inducing) benefit I would have found, even if I truly loved the pet.

As soon as I was in a house with a yard though, I found a dog. Humans are built for relationship, not just with other humans but also with animals. It satisfies a very deep and primal need in people to care for animals and observe their behavior.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Huh? Pets can definitely love their owners. Pets definitely have emotions. Emotions are the most basic form of thought - pets don't think "do I like this person's personality?" They just think, "Hey, this person cares for me, plays with me, feeds me - s/he is my best friend."

A pet's owner is the closest thing to a parent that it has. Humans who are treated well by their parents tend to have unconditional love for them and are generally happy to see them, no matter what.

It's not about having control over the pet - it's about having a companion who will never leave you or wrong you as long as you don't do so first. Granted, sometimes they don't know better - that's why we have training.

I think Fritzo explained this phenomenon really well.

I don't think anyone can comprehend what goes on inside a dog's head, but love is more than felt, it is understood by who is loving.

It is not love however when is it for their advantage, "this person feeds me, therefor I like them." Love is not a transaction.

When a dog is willing to defend you against strangers, I'd at least call that loyalty. Loyalty is brought on through continued dedication, and a mutual understanding that if each holds up their end of the bargain, they will treat each other well. Animals think on a more basic level than we do - they care about their basic necessities and playing. If you fulfill those requirements, you are their friend. And people love their friends.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
Originally posted by: AreaCode707
As soon as I was in a house with a yard though, I found a dog. Humans are built for relationship, not just with other humans but also with animals. It satisfies a very deep and primal need in people to care for animals and observe their behavior.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people do not care for their animals very well. Many will lock them in very small cages or fenced in areas where they cannot run or follow their innate behavior.

This is what leads me to suspect there is a large portion of people out there, that I think are satisfying an innate desire to "rule" over something or someone. This may stem from trouble work or personal relationships where they have little relative authority (they cannot convince their wive of something they want or they rule over no one at their workplace instead taking orders).

mozirry

Sep 18, 2006
i just taught my kitty "pirate cat", she climbs up on my shoulders and then sits on them while I walk around looking for booty

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people do not care for their animals very well. Many will lock them in very small cages or fenced in areas where they cannot run or follow their innate behavior.

This is what leads me to suspect there is a large portion of people out there, that I think are satisfying an innate desire to "rule" over something or someone. This may stem from trouble work or personal relationships where they have little relative authority (they cannot convince their wive of something they want or they rule over no one at their workplace instead taking orders).

I disagree that there's a ruling or authority or control aspect. People like pets, they're cute. If you don't have the capacity to properly care for them but are able to ignore it in yourself, you can still get the pleasure without the responsibility. Sucks, but that's how it is. So people that choose to get animals when they can't properly care for them aren't controlling, they're just selfish.

[edit] And there's nothing necessarily wrong with preventing an animal from following it's "innate" behavior. A dog's innate behavior is to kill other animals and eat them. However there are lots of animals that have been socialized, trained and bred for caring for or herding other animals. No cruelty there.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004

These same people sometimes have kids.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
[edit] And there's nothing necessarily wrong with preventing an animal from following it's "innate" behavior. A dog's innate behavior is to kill other animals and eat them. However there are lots of animals that have been socialized, trained and bred for caring for or herding other animals. No cruelty there.

When dog owners put their dogs in things like this:
http://www.doghouses.com/dog-c...deluxeexercisepens.cfm

And many do, it becomes clear they do not have the accommodations to keep a dog.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

I don't think anyone can comprehend what goes on inside a dog's head, but love is more than felt, it is understood by who is loving.

It is not love however when is it for their advantage, "this person feeds me, therefor I like them." Love is not a transaction.

At the very root of it, the "love" that people feel is more of an instinct to multiply and care for your offspring. The offspring depend on the parents so there's an attachment from that side as well. It's a feeling of worth and security which makes sense when you think about it.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001

When dog owners put their dogs in things like this:
http://www.doghouses.com/dog-c...deluxeexercisepens.cfm

And many do, it becomes clear they do not have the accommodations to keep a dog.

My parents use one of those for their dog as a "kennel" and she's a Great Dane. She's got a great backyard but she needs a doggy space in the house that's hers and that works great. Dogs tend to live in dens when they can manage it, and a set space like that can make them feel comfortable. My folks also take it with them to outdoor events so she can come and be off leash.

I know there are people that use those improperly to keep an energetic dog always caged up, but simply using one at times doesn't make a person a bad pet owner.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I like dogs. They provide companionship. They'll protect the house, protect me and my family, accompany me on runs and a range of other roles that you can't expect a human or robot (yet?). All this while not expecting the world of you. Those toy dogs don't count. They're toys and from what I've seen, people who get them usually treat them as toys that eat and shit instead of a living being.

Not like cats who think you're there to serve them. Maybe thats why freaky people who don't have human companionship get cats.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
I like dogs. They provide companionship. They'll protect the house, protect me and my family, accompany me on runs and a range of other roles that you can't expect a human or robot (yet?). All this while not expecting the world of you. Those toy dogs don't count. They're toys and from what I've seen, people who get them usually treat them as toys that eat and shit instead of a living being.

Not like cats who think you're there to serve them. Maybe thats why freaky people who don't have human companionship get cats.

I :heart: my cats.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008

Cats I do not understand. They do not respond as well as dogs and cats are rarely fun.

I often get the impression that cats do not "play" at all, when we think they're playing with us. But they think they're really trying to hurt something or are disturbed by what it might actually be (feather toy or something like that).

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Dogs and cats were domesticated for a purpose. Hell, just look at the different breeds of dog - all for a specific purpose. To assist man.

Even today dogs and cats are "used" for their purpose. Be it hunting, guarding, attacking or just keeping vermin/pests out of the farm/home.

Then there is the aspect that humans just enjoy caring for other animals, we're social/communal creatures.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Cats I do not understand. They do not respond as well as dogs and cats are rarely fun.

I often get the impression that cats do not "play" at all, when we think they're playing with us. But they think they're really trying to hurt something or are disturbed by what it might actually be (feather toy or something like that).

That play from a cat is how the mother teaches her kittens how to hunt and kill. It's no wonder that they like to do it with us because we are seen as mother.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

:p Reference to the cat people who have like 7+ in a small home and live alone.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
Originally posted by: spidey07

That play from a cat is how the mother teaches her kittens how to hunt and kill. It's no wonder that they like to do it with us because we are seen as mother.

See, then it appears as a different kind of play. With dogs, I really think they enjoy to play, much moreso than cats.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004

:p Reference to the cat people who have like 7+ in a small home and live alone.

I :heart: all my cats who fit in my small home.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I'm a person who often likes to ponder the psychological basis for people's behavior.

[snip trolling]

"you're my, now I can control you."

Thoughts on this, or am I just weird?

Since you are so interested have you read any books on the subject?

Most that own pets aren't looking for control at all, they are looking for something that can accept them wholeheartedly and the calming affect that provides.

However as a level 80 feral night-elf druid I may be a bit biased, but if you disagree I will RAWR your ass.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
See, then it appears as a different kind of play. With dogs, I really think they enjoy to play, much moreso than cats.

It depends. My cats will bring me toys to play with them. So they do WANT to play. Most all animals want to "play". It's what keeps them sharp. Even humans love to play.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07

Dogs have more overt body language and facial expressions that are more easily read by humans, compared with cats. Also, cats simply play less (generally) than dogs.