Why do so many on the right consider Ronald Regan a foriegn policy hero?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Poor Republicans.

Its tough when your team wins the Super bowl and you spend the next year complaining about the 4th quarter comeback winning quarterback anyway.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Sorry, did I insult your communist homeland?

*EDIT* Accidentally caught Boris and Natasha in my reply.

Last edited:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
cybrsage said:
Obama comes on the heals of Bush - whose foreign policy saw nations quaking whenever the US looked at them askew.

The lulz is strong with this one.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Why is he a foreign policy hero? Well, he got rid of all of those foreign terrorist air traffic controllers, didn't he? And he, with the applomb and skill of a veteran diplomat escaped any blame whatsover for IranContra, relying on the skillful use of his failing memory and the sage advice of his wife Nancy's personal astrologer.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
PATCO got what they deserved. I wish we could see the same done to the CTU, but not even liberals consider the CTU teachers to be a peril to anything except a quality education.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
PATCO got what they deserved. I wish we could see the same done to the CTU, but not even liberals consider the CTU teachers to be a peril to anything except a quality education.

I'll agree in the sense that their strategy was ill-advised. Cooler heads should have prevailed.

But Reagan, well, he scored a coup that was practically handed to him on a silver platter. It didn't have so much to do with his hollywood bred charm and disarming personality. Timing was the key issue here (this coming from my experience as a union business agent and negotiator of 26 yrs.).

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Reagan's cut and run after the Marine barracks bombing was frequently cited as OBL as proof that the USA would back down when the going got tough and was thus a major inspiration to what became AQ. Possibly the single dumbest foreign policy move ANY President has done since the end of WWII and trumps anything Carter did in Iraq by a long stretch.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Thats not even remotely close to being accurate,,,

It sort of is, but not for the reasons he might attribute to their concern. The fear wasn't due to the use of might for rational reasons, but the legitimizing of bending the truth to achieve an aim even if it resulted in grievous harm.

We've always had the biggest gun collection so to speak, but our neighbors only started to get really worried when we started shooting based on supposition and self deception. The fear was about crazy people with lots of weapons.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You pretend the location of OBL suddenly popped out of thin air and appeared in the mind of Obama. You could not be more delusional if you tried...yet you manage to pretend I am delusional for realizing it took many years to locate OBL, confirm the information was good, and then devise a plan.

But keep on thinking what your masters tell you to think...keep on thinking Obama magicked the info out of thin air like a good litte drone does.

Maybe we would have gotten him sooner if Bush hadn't dismantled the group who's sole job was to track down OBL

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Thats not even remotely close to being accurate,,,

The lulz is strong with this one.

In 2003, following the overthrow of Saddam Hussein by U.S. forces, Gaddafi again admitted to having an active weapons of mass destruction program, and was willing to dismantle it. His announcement was well publicized, and during interviews Gaddafi confessed that the Iraq War "may have influenced him", but he would rather "focus on the positive", and hoped that other nations would follow his example.[167]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi#Western_acceptance

You guys need to learn about the topics you are discussing prior to discussing them. Even Hans Blix says the War in Iraq influenced Gaddafi:

Hans Blix, former chief U.N. weapons inspector, said he imagined "Gadhafi could have been scared by what he saw happen in Iraq."
Asked about his decision, Gadhafi acknowledged that the Iraq war may have influenced him, but he insisted he wanted to focus on the "positive."
He said the world is a changed place in which his country can feel safe without weapons of mass destruction.
http://articles.cnn.com/2003-12-22/...-leader-moammar-gadhafi-hans-blix?_s=PM:WORLD

Now, even without all this actual proof, think about it critically. Lets set the stage:

Bush is President of the US. He has already invaded two Muslim nations for either potentially having WMDs or for having ties to terrorism. Libya potentially had WMDs and had ties to terrorism. Libya is also a Muslim nation. The US, still quite angry and flexing its nation destroying muscles, was looking around the globe still.

Gaddafi was rightfully worried the US would invade Libya.

It sort of is, but not for the reasons he might attribute to their concern. The fear wasn't due to the use of might for rational reasons, but the legitimizing of bending the truth to achieve an aim even if it resulted in grievous harm.

We've always had the biggest gun collection so to speak, but our neighbors only started to get really worried when we started shooting based on supposition and self deception. The fear was about crazy people with lots of weapons.

Close, the reason for being invaded may not have been a rational reason but the fear of being invaded was a rational fear. Kinda like if you are black and live next door to a KKK member...you have a rational fear of being harmed for an irrational reason. :)

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi#Western_acceptance

You guys need to learn about the topics you are discussing prior to discussing them. Even Hans Blix says the War in Iraq influenced Gaddafi:

http://articles.cnn.com/2003-12-22/...-leader-moammar-gadhafi-hans-blix?_s=PM:WORLD

Now, even without all this actual proof, think about it critically. Lets set the stage:

Bush is President of the US. He has already invaded two Muslim nations for either potentially having WMDs or for having ties to terrorism. Libya potentially had WMDs and had ties to terrorism. Libya is also a Muslim nation. The US, still quite angry and flexing its nation destroying muscles, was looking around the globe still.

Gaddafi was rightfully worried the US would invade Libya.

There is a bit of a difference between influenced and "may have" influenced.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out it did influence him. Especially when you add in the ease at which the US could have justified rolling over Libya to the American People.

Qaddafi was trying to not look too weak via his choice of words - but it is obvious to all those who do not have their heads buried in the sand or whose eyes are not closed due to an irrational hatred of all things Bush.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Cyber, since the work of getting OBL started in bush II's admin you are giving bush Credit. So who gets credit for freeing hostages in Iran?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Cybr, since the work of getting OBL started in bush II's admin you are giving bush Credit. So who gets credit for freeing hostages in Iran?

I think you misunderstand my position; I give both Presidents credit for the death of OBL. The Bush administration found the info which led them to his exact whereabouts and the Obama administration both followed through with the info the Bush administration found and completed the task for killing OBL.

It was a long term endeavor that required a lot of work by a lot of people. Neither administration gets the credit for the act as neither could have done it without the other.

EDIT: I have always given Obama props for saying yes to the attack. I know he had fall guys waiting in case it failed - but they would not have saved him from the blowback if it did fail. Invading an "ally" is always risky, so kudos to Obama for doing the right thing.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
I think you misunderstand my position; I give both Presidents credit for the death of OBL. The Bush administration found the info which led them to his exact whereabouts and the Obama administration both followed through with the info the Bush administration found and completed the task for killing OBL.

It was a long term endeavor that required a lot of work by a lot of people. Neither administration gets the credit for the act as neither could have done it without the other.

EDIT: I have always given Obama props for saying yes to the attack. I know he had fall guys waiting in case it failed - but they would not have saved him from the blowback if it did fail. Invading an "ally" is always risky, so kudos to Obama for doing the right thing.

Appreciate the response. But this thread is about reagan so what about the Iran Hostage situation? You feel the same way there?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
He dared to ask communist russia to tare down this wall! He did not apologize! He simply asked Russia to do what is right and reunify Germany.

I hope I will live to see the day that Korea is reunified.

Last edited: