Why do so many companies put their products in almost solid thick clear plastic boxes?!?!

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just bought 6 usb to serial connectors and they all come in these anoying glued together and sealed plastic boxes. Whyyyy! almost impossible to open

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Blister packaging is inexpensive, theft and tamper resistant, and allows the product to be seen on the shelves.

It is also universally hated by consumers. :)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Czar
Topic Title: Why do so many companies put their products in almost solid thick clear plastic boxes?!?!

I just bought 6 usb to serial connectors and they all come in these anoying glued together and sealed plastic boxes. Whyyyy! almost impossible to open

More subsidizing of the Oil Barons.

-----------------------------------------------------
Dave - keep P&N out of OT

Anandtech Moderator

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think I can say I have one box about 1/4 open now, and I have 5 more to go at least.. damnnit

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
hahaha I'm working on a death trap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister_pack
Some more secure blister packs for theft-prone items like consumer electronics omit the card backing and consist of two vacuum-formed PVC sheets meshed together at the edges, with the informative card inside. These can be very hard to open by hand, so a pair of scissors or even a sharp knife is often required to open them. Opening such packages without proper care is an injury-prone procedure, and surgeons report that serious hand injuries (including tendon and nerve damage) regularly occur because of this packaging.[1]

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
i hate them too, but once you get a part of the hard edge cut open, the middle part rips apart without much trouble.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Topic Title: Why do so many companies put their products in almost solid thick clear plastic boxes?!?!

Anandtech Moderator

:laugh:

Anyhow, just when I think Dave has reached the pinnacle of stupidity... he climbs a little higher.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I hate'em too. Plus how are you suppose to return a defective item if you totally had to destroy the encasing to open the thing?

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: jtvang125
I hate'em too. Plus how are you suppose to return a defective item if you totally had to destroy the encasing to open the thing?

^

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
Blister packaging is inexpensive, theft and tamper resistant, and allows the product to be seen on the shelves.

It is also universally hated by consumers. :)

Well put.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I just get out my Dremel with a good cutting wheel to deal with the packages that are too tough for knives or scissors to deal with safely.
I have been cut once trying to open one such package. Funny thing is, it was without a knife or scissors - I was cut by the sharp plastic edges. Go figure.
Dremel FTW.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Anandtech Moderator

Ya know...just when you think you've seen the epitome of stupid, Dave comes along and raises the bar.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i just use a sharp knife, inserted between the sheets.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000

Anandtech Moderator

Dont buy anything, ever, because somewhere along the way, oil was probably used.