Why do Republicans have so much trouble with this question

Feb 4, 2009
Again back to will you support the nominee.
Honestly nobody cares the answer is more important than the end. Why can't Ted Cruz say "I wouldn't like it but yes I'll support Trump" or "No he's a fool that will ruin the country"

http://www.popscreen.com/v/9x2AS/Ted-Cruz-On-Whether-He-Could-Ever-Support-Donald-Trump-Meet-The-Press-NBC-News

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
It's a Ted Cruz problem, not a Republican problem just because he happens to be one, since he likes to go his own way party be damned.

Feb 4, 2009
It's a Ted Cruz problem, not a Republican problem just because he happens to be one, since he likes to go his own way party be damned.

Jeb has had trouble with it and his wife (she is not a politician but she's awfully close), the Governor of Indiana pussy footed around the same question. These are just a few recent examples.
Remember what a ball busting Trump had in September about supporting the nominee? Remember the pledge that was pushed on him?

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You have to understand that the modern GOP is zero substance. It's all emotional appeal and blows whichever way is convenient today even if it is a complete contradiction of what was "important" yesterday. It gets even funnier when you realize that they try to paint liberals as the emotional train wrecks. So yeah, it was important to them to get Trump to agree to that pledge when they thought it would help them but now that it is highly inconvenient they will contort themselves into knots to get around it.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Probably because they don't want him to be nominee but they would endorse him if he were to win it in the convention. If they support him now, he'd be more likely to win the nomination. If they say they won't support him, and he wins, then they'll either have to waffle back to supporting him or promote further fracturing of the party.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Why on Earth would we want them to not have trouble with this question? The attitude that I'll vote for whatever turd sandwich my party nominates rather than the giant douche bag the other party nominates is, as Sonikku pointed out, only making us more easily controlled. There are and should be no magic letters.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Jeb has had trouble with it and his wife (she is not a politician but she's awfully close), the Governor of Indiana pussy footed around the same question. These are just a few recent examples.
Remember what a ball busting Trump had in September about supporting the nominee? Remember the pledge that was pushed on him?

Pence didn't "pussy foot" around that question (the question being would he support the nominee). His endorsement however was completely wishy-washy. I chalk that up to Indiana politics. Pence is up for re-election and I don't think he wants to alienate any of his possible voters who may favor Trump in the primary.

Cruz is his own separate problem. For one thing his whole campaign at this point consists of hopes for a brokered convention. Cruz needs (desperately IMO) the threat of people not supporting Trump if nominated.

Fern

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
1 more day, then Trump coasts to the nomination. After which, he reveals that it was all a practical joke and that it was just a show - he didn't really mean half of the things he said.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
1 more day, then Trump coasts to the nomination. After which, he reveals that it was all a practical joke and that it was just a show - he didn't really mean half of the things he said.
Politicians not meaning what they say?

My G-d, I certainly hope that's not something that catches on.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If Trump is elected, his 1st day in office, his first act would be to make the national musical instrument the trumpet.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
They only have a problem with it now because they aren't up against a Democrat. Recall just how effective the rhetoric against President Obama has been the bast eight years, or even the rhetoric against Hillary Clinton for the past 20+ years...regardless of facts! The Republicans will fall in line once general election season begins. Until then, they can continue to ignore how the hateful rhetoric they have spewed has come to consume them.