Why do people who claim to love free speech support a President who so openly hates it?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Seriously, you show me yours and you want to see mine? Not gonna happen, i stopped taking orders decades ago.

Weaselly coward is weaselly.

By any standard, I am right of center politically. Just because I'm not supportive of white supremacists and Nazis, or a socially conservative fascist does NOT mean I am not conservative politically.

But you go right on believing your regressive racism and bigotry and mindless tribalism is what makes you "conservative."

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Jul 9, 2009
Weaselly coward is weaselly.

By any standard, I am right of center politically. Just because I'm not supportive of white supremacists and Nazis, or a socially conservative fascist does NOT mean I am not conservative politically.

But you go right on believing your regressive racism and bigotry and mindless tribalism is what makes you "conservative."
You can say it all you want, the proof is in your actions and what you consistently say here in this forum. You being right of center politically has never shown up in here.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
You can say it all you want, the proof is in your actions and what you consistently say here in this forum. You being right of center politically has never shown up in here.

Why? Because I haven't blindly supported the tribe?

Give me an example of ANY "leftest" or "left of center" political (not social) ideology I have expressed as supporting here.

7c3.jpg

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
In fact, the last big debate we got into was about the rights of private property owners to control the content on their private property.

And the so-called "conservative" here calling for the nationalization of private social media companies.

Yeah, good times.

Even when I argue against you, I'm more conservative than you.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I'll show mine too.

chart

As you can see Amused and I are just about the same level on the Libertarian/Authoritarian Scale but I'm far to the left of him on the Left/Right Economic Scale. But he and I agree more often than not.

Reactions: Amused

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I'll show mine too.

chart

As you can see Amused and I are just about the same level on the Libertarian/Authoritarian Scale but I'm far to the left of him on the Left/Right Economic Scale. But he and I agree more often than not.

That's because we're both sane and can debate differences in ideology without going batshit.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Since we're apparently all exposing ourselves to eachother here's mine.

chart

Btw mine's bigger, losers.

Funny, I've taken that test I think 3 times now. Always comes out the same, geometrically in the exact same spot as yours. On second thought, mine is one half cell downward.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Why? Because I haven't blindly supported the tribe?

Give me an example of ANY "leftest" or "left of center" political (not social) ideology I have expressed as supporting here.

7c3.jpg

Haven't you moved leftward on some issues though? For example, I seem to recall at one time you at least dabbled in global warming denial, but now you don't. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Haven't you moved leftward on some issues though? For example, I seem to recall at one time you at least dabbled in global warming denial, but now you don't. Maybe I'm misremembering.

I had some questions about it about a decade ago. But the consensus is clear and undeniable. That's not really a left/right issue, even though it's become politicized that way. That's science denialism and denial of reality itself.

Excellent memory though!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I had some questions about it about a decade ago. But the consensus is clear and undeniable. That's not really a left/right issue, even though it's become politicized that way. That's science denialism and denial of reality itself.

Excellent memory though!

Fair enough. I appreciate your pro-science stance and your disdain for CT's and other forms of woo. My sense is that anyone who exists in the real world instead of some fantasy bubble is at least worthy of my attention even if I don't agree with their opinions all the time. Such people are unfortunately harder and harder to find these days.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Trumpwrong.gif

Amused has a near couple decade posting history here. He's always been to the right of center. He's not quite as preachy as he used to be.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Fair enough. I appreciate your pro-science stance and your disdain for CT's and other forms of woo. My sense is that anyone who exists in the real world instead of some fantasy bubble is at least worthy of my attention even if I don't agree with their opinions all the time. Such people are unfortunately harder and harder to find these days.

A rational logical person will adjust their world view to fit the available facts. A tribalist political/religious cult member will deny or alter the facts to fit their worldview.

While this is a very human condition we all suffer from, I strive to counter that as much as possible.

I'm not always right. But I want to be regardless of my own ego or preconceived beliefs. To do so I must be willing to adjust my worldview to fit the facts.

One of the largest worldview changes I've had in the last 10 years was about racism.. Until I studied it I had my head in the sand in denial. I rarely saw it, outside of what other people claimed, therefore it didn't exist on a systemic level to me. Yet the science here is undeniable as well. There is a clear consensus on this in the US. And when you look at just the raw data, it is heartbreaking and untenable for anyone with even a smidgen of empathy.

Being conservative with a libertarian lean, I absolutely believe in individual human rights. Systemic racism and bigotry are clear violations of those rights. Morally, I cannot demand my own, without standing up for anyone else's. So, I am staunchly, rabidly anti-racist.

Is that preachy enough, Fenix? :D

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Funny, I've taken that test I think 3 times now. Always comes out the same, geometrically in the exact same spot as yours. On second thought, mine is one half cell downward.

Yeah, that's what amazingly smart and handsome people tend to get as a result, welcome to the club. On a serious note, I don't think my beliefs are anything special or out of the ordinary. Just another social democrat.

I'm not always right.

Fkin leftist.

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018

chart

That's mine, another cell down from yours then I suppose.

Fascist! ;)

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
The Trumptards here won't post theirs because they're afraid of being exposed as the piece of shit fascists that they are. Looks like all the mean lefties here are pretty damn libertarian. Maybe that's the difference ... left vs right can respectfully debate all day long, but nobody cares about the opinions of a jackass baby grenading authoritarian.

chart

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Bullshit, if you were an actual "Liberal" you'd be concerned with the direction civil liberties are being taken in this country right now, and you're not.
I missed this one.

I am incredibly concerned about the direction civil liberties are being taken in this country right now, and especially the leadership that is taking it that way. That's why I created this thread. To ask people like you that question in the thread title.