Why do people w/tourettes syndrome only curse?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
What is it about curses and not other words?

and What if they never heard a curse in their life?

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: werk
They don't just curse.
Ya, TV would have you think it's a funny disease to have. You should possibly google it sometime to get the full 411 on it.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I think they want to should out profanity....this urge occurs whether or not they know any curse words.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
They don't just curse. And all tics are not verbal. The tics can be very different from person to person, or even with the same person over time. Tics I've personally witnessed include throat clearing, blinking, ear pulling, repetitive head movements, scratching ankles or arms to the point of bleeding, repeating made-up words, shouting words suddenly that aren't appropriate to the situation (like yelling "beer bottle" out of the blue), you get the picture. They can be physical or verbal.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
They don't just curse. And all tics are not verbal. The tics can be very different from person to person, or even with the same person over time. Tics I've personally witnessed include throat clearing, blinking, ear pulling, repetitive head movements, scratching ankles or arms to the point of bleeding, repeating made-up words, shouting words suddenly that aren't appropriate to the situation (like yelling "beer bottle" out of the blue), you get the picture. They can be physical or verbal.

In that case, I probably have Tourette's! :Q

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Two kids on my high school football team had it. It was just the uncontrolled blinking version of it though. One was #2 in our graduating class and the other was dumb as a rock who was relegated to second team OL because he couldn't read defenses and figure out who to block.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yep.....

Only a small percentage actually have that stereotypical symptom.

dderidex

Platinum Member
Mar 13, 2001

Yup. The yelling words thing is pretty uncommon, it just gets all the publicity.

It's also partially...hmm....not "environmental" so much, but....it can change based on conditions.

For example, in puberty, it's usually at its worst. And if you have it, it tends to be MUCH worse and more pronounced the less sleep you get (I'm not talking about a single night, but an extended period of time).

When I crunch on some project and end up going a week or two with 6 hours of sleep or less, it's pretty obnoxious. For me, it's just a tug on one corner of my mouth, tendency to roll my eyes, or a twitch on my wrist.

It's odd to describe WHY you feel the need to do it. I suppose....if you imagined being strapped in a straight jacket to a table so you COULDN'T move. Couldn't budge at all. After a while (maybe hours, for example), you just get this feeling like you blood is boiling and you HAVE to move RIGHT NOW or you'll explode or something?

It's that kinda feeling, only you HAVE to twitch your wrist or HAVE to twist your head back and forth or HAVE to say some word or something.

Very, very bizarre.

Getting lots and lots of sleep helps a lot, though.