Why do people run the red lights at freeway on ramps like it's no big deal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
Originally posted by: Minjin
We have a stop sign at one particular on ramp that I always run. The highway it merges into is right before a split so there's alot of moving back and forth between the lanes. I'm positive its there purely for the lowest common denominator: the people who don't know how to merge. So if there's noone in front of me, I don't even pause. I treat it like a yield and merge quickly and safely. You have to realize that alot of traffic devices are in place for the people who shouldn't even be on the road in the first place.

Of course this is all purely hypothetical... ;)

Did you even read what you just wrote?

The lights are there to distribute traffic evenly. They also prevent that one jackass from ignoring the "Left lane ends" sign and running up the shoulder to get ahead. Had them in Phx and I wish we did here.

Do you have difficulty understanding the difference between stop signs and traffic lights? Its a stop sign at the end of an on-ramp.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
We have a stop sign at one particular on ramp that I always run. The highway it merges into is right before a split so there's alot of moving back and forth between the lanes. I'm positive its there purely for the lowest common denominator: the people who don't know how to merge. So if there's noone in front of me, I don't even pause. I treat it like a yield and merge quickly and safely. You have to realize that alot of traffic devices are in place for the people who shouldn't even be on the road in the first place.

Of course this is all purely hypothetical... ;)

High school or college student?

Moronic or just ignorant?

Hey, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... You sound like the boy racer type who thinks his driving skills are above reproach. I'm sure you're a great driver though, what with your contempt for traffic signals and the other drivers on the road and all.